1958, 59, 60? Gibson LP Special/Junior re-re-build

What's Hot
OK so I have acquired an original LP Junior or Special, could be either but I suspect originally a Special, The exact year is speculative as the serial number is long gone, but since it was not an indented number dates to between 58 & 60. The providence of the guitar is very good and I acquired it from a complete aficionado who in turn bought it from a very reputable London vintage shop. The original guitar was lovingly re-furbed and re-finished by Dave Walsh of Eternal Guitars, Sadly shortly after it suffered a serious neck break which is when I bought it. My intention is to take it back to being a twin P90 Special and hopefully end up with a 50's Gibson Les Paul that I can actually gig without fear of losing a major investment!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This was the guitar in its original state when first bought pre refurbishmentimage
  • The extent of how much it had been messed with once the horrible red non original finish had been removedimage
  • Re-capped and ready to start applying finish
  • Th finished or rather re-finished article, looking I think pretty stunning!
    imageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    edited January 2014
    Re-capped and ready to start applying finish
    I'm pretty sure I know who did that work ...

:D

@jonnysixstring - presume you know already?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This is the state I acquired it in yesterdayimage
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave Walsh at Eternal Guitars will be carrying out the work to take this back to twin P90 as it would be originally, I will update as things progress :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    edited January 2014
    Originally a Junior. The neck pickup on a Special - even later ones - is closer to the fingerboard than the length of tenon remaining.

Are the knobs original?! If so they're about the only bits that are ;) - but if so, it's a late '60 or early '61 just before the change to the SG shape.

Shame what happened to the neck, but I'm sure you can make it live again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Great thanks for the info, basically the neck, body, fretboard and potentially the pickup are original but thats it! I am obviously aware of all that before I purchased but thats reflected in the price I paid :) My intention is to get a great guitar with some history back on the road, I think any value in the vintage market left this one a long time ago.
  • TTony said:
    Re-capped and ready to start applying finish
    I'm pretty sure I know who did that work ...

:D

@jonnysixstring - presume you know already?
    Pretty sure all work done by Dave Walsh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    PM'd you.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Replied
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for putting this up Jonny.

It is a bit like a Sherlock Holmes novel, who did the crime, what was the motive (go on, do spill the beans).
    Deepened by the history of the guitar.

I do recognise aspects of the work in progress shots, but this one in particular shows much of the guitars history played out in wood.  Top quality workmanship of the repairs assured me-thinks.

The bridge / stop tail has had wanderlust over the years, and I am intrigued as to what the route below the second pickup was for.  And as ICBM noted, not an original Special, as the routings don't match spec, so a Junior from the factory.

This is going to be a great guitar when it's all finished, and what a history behind it too.   :)

I am intrigued as to what the route below the second pickup was for.
    Pickup selector.

I'm curious as to why the original bridge pickup cavity was filled as well - or was that just a temporary step to make gluing the new facing on easier?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    There is some history there.

Good luck with the re-build fella. I'd keep it as a Junior if it was mine.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    stonevibe said:
    There is some history there.

Good luck with the re-build fella. I'd keep it as a Junior if it was mine.
    +1, Juniors are way cooler than Specials ;-)
  • I am only considering special as with the gigs I  do a twin pickup guitar is going to get used more, and seeing as in real terms the real value in ££ on this is gone, I want to end up with a guitar I can gig for the next 55 yearsI do agree though Juniors are cooler :) Just not something I would use very often.

I agree about Juniors and Specials - Juniors look cooler, but I need the neck pickup too.

Making it a Special will also remove some of the hidden damage and internal repairs - which probably won't improve the tone or anything, but it would make it somehow less horrible, to me :). The only disadvantage is that it will take away even more of the original wood, since the existing routs don't correspond to the correct Special ones as ChrisMusic said.