Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'58-'60 LP Junior or Special..?

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Oh man you lot!

I'm feeling poorer already. Budget is sorted.

I'm officially on the hunt for one. I reckon I need to try a junior DC and a Special DC, and probably a Special SC as well. 

Ive done the maths and I reckon it will be a punishment of no more than 3 weeks in the spare room
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited October 2016
    I might be missing the point but have you looked at the Gibson custom shop stuff?

I ask this purely from a playing point of view... I don't really get buying guitars as investments, they should be bought to be played
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @meltedbuzzbox - it's to play. Not an investment.

I have looked at the CS stuff, but I have recently discovered that I just get on better with good vintage.

Horses for courses and all that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    Oh man you lot!

I'm feeling poorer already. Budget is sorted.

I'm officially on the hunt for one. I reckon I need to try a junior DC and a Special DC, and probably a Special SC as well. 

Ive done the maths and I reckon it will be a punishment of no more than 3 weeks in the spare room
    I've got a SC Junior and 2 x SC Specials you can try if you fancy a road trip and i'm only 50 mins away from Monoamine's DC Junior too ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And Mark @guitars4you is absolutely right about a vintage P90 in the neck position. I never thought I was a fan but, lord almighty, my TV Special barely moves off the neck position currently. Sublime.
    (formerly miserneil)
    @miserneil - you're a good man. Once I find a gap in my stupid diary I will have to take you up on a kind offer like that! 

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 619
    edited October 2016
    Evening Bridgehouse

My 1960 LPJ double cut arrived yesterday and I'm stoked with it. Rings out clearly and loudly when strummed acoustically and sounds awesome through my Fender Twinolux and my little Marshall Offset.

Single P90 is great and Im finding different tones that I don't look for from my other humbucker loaded Gibsons.

Im a bit further away than Miserneil but If you're ever in the Surrey area stop by for a play if you like.

Cheers

TC   

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr186/tobycordery/IMG_7197_zpsbrcsrlvl.jpg

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @skippy76 - lovely looker - not surprised you are stoked!

Kind offer from you as well - if I'm ever close I may well drop you a msg!

Enjoy!
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    "I never felt like I needed a two- or three-pickup guitar, because you can get a lot of tones out of a single pickup. If you’re in a room filled with gasoline, how many matches do you really need? One good one and a backup!" - Leslie West
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Does anybody know how many '59 Jrs  were actually made? Just there seems to be quite the supply in the UK... ;)

tFB Trader
    @JookyChap in '59 they shipped 4364 Juniors......give or take a few ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    Compared to 643 'Bursts the same year. The Junior was by far the biggest seller in Gibsons catalogue.
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Cheers @miserneil - so that's, what, 17 you haven't owned yet then? :)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    JookyChap said:
    Cheers @miserneil - so that's, what, 17 you haven't owned yet then? :)
    Not YET.... ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    My Jr is a 2010, (Think they were marketed as 50's) and I don't know if I just got lucky.. but it is an absolute beast. The standard Gibson P90 sounds incredible. And anywhere I have ever cranked it, I have never suffered with much hum. 
    I'm beginning to think there's some sort of fairy dust associated with these late 50's juniors - not heard a bad word against them at all!

It seems like the Specials don't get the same sort of love though?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    tFB Trader
    I'm beginning to think there's some sort of fairy dust associated with these late 50's juniors - not heard a bad word against them at all!

it would have to be a Special for me - I love that neck pick-up - just puuuuuuurrrrrrs
    I have to say I like the idea of the special but the pickup placement on the '59 troubles me..
    tFB Trader
    I have to say I like the idea of the special but the pickup placement on the '59 troubles me..
    Get a '60 then!! ;-)
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader

it would have to be a Special for me - I love that neck pick-up - just puuuuuuurrrrrrs
    Agree 100%. I was a die hard Junior fan but the Special is so versatile, it's mental. A single cut Special is a 'Burst killer in my opinion.

Although, for straight ahead rocking out, there is NOTHING like a junior. Best thing to do...buy 2 :-)
    (formerly miserneil)