Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

telecaster convert

What's Hot
always been playing and gigging my les paul studio for 5 yrs, and occasional other humbucker guitars. Recently bought a mexican strat that was nice but didnt quite do it for me. Ive just bought a nearly new tele and its a revelation to me. i wasnt expecting it to be so different from a strat, i was expecting lots of "twang", which it has but it also gives me a good rock bite when i want. Im loving this guitar, been playing it all day. Gonna try it out with band on monday just to be sure, all being well il be gigging with it next saturday. Oh, yeah which tele is it?   A butterscotch squier affinity picked up for £100.  I know the body's a little thinner than a regular tele and the hardware is not the best but im so bloody impressed with it. Maybe when funds are available il look at the fenders teles.. I could become a tele addict.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
    edited October 2016
    I used to own a Squier Affinity Tele about ten years back. Only guitar I've ever regretted selling. Punched well above its price point and the neck in particular was superb. Oh, and the Affinity has a toploader bridge which, to my mind, is superior to the usual string-through affair. Happy new guitar day.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Try a Vintage, my new one while faulty plays so well, and the fretwork is basically perfect. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Buy my Mexican Tele.  ;)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I don't think you can beat a Tele, everyone should have one.

And butterscotch is the colour to have.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggy said:

I think you can & that's the point of them. ;)
    My band mates always comment that I play my SG much more gently than my tele. Not sure why it is, but I love thrashing the tele. 
  • I love my Affinity Tele, and I'm also a confirmed Les Paul guy.  I'm kind of multi personality when it comes to my solid body electrics, I have 5 and they're all different.  I've mentioned before about seeing all these pics of Jimmy Page with a Les Paul only to find out after buying a Les Paul that he used a Tele to record most of Led Zep 1 and 2!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• Try a Vintage, my new one while faulty plays so well, and the fretwork is basically perfect. 
    ive had many vintage guitars, theyve always been nice
  • Jack_ said:
    Buy my Mexican Tele.  ;)
    would like to but  gotta save some cash, maybe in the future if its still around
  • proggy said:

And butterscotch is the colour to have.

yes, its good enough to eat
  • I love my Affinity Tele, and I'm also a confirmed Les Paul guy.  I'm kind of multi personality when it comes to my solid body electrics, I have 5 and they're all different.  I've mentioned before about seeing all these pics of Jimmy Page with a Les Paul only to find out after buying a Les Paul that he used a Tele to record most of Led Zep 1 and 2!
    yes, im a les paul guy at heart, but the tele seems very versatile, i do wonder how often we assume our heroes used a specific guitar when they actually used something else
  • proggy said:

I think you can & that's the point of them. ;)
    My band mates always comment that I play my SG much more gently than my tele. Not sure why it is, but I love thrashing the tele. 
    yes it feels like it would stand a good thrashing.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    2nd hand Classic Vibe Tele is one of the best you can buy for around £200. I had a Kotzen and a few standards and the CV is bloody good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It is a truth universally acknowledged that the only thing better than a Telecaster is two Telecasters.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • It is a truth universally acknowledged that the only thing better than a Telecaster is two Telecasters.
    dont think thats gonna take too long to occur ;)

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11131
    tFB Trader
    I have a butterscotch Squier Standard converted to Esquire spec ... probably one of the best guitars I have ever played. next to any of my other three Teles :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    Don't be in a rush to change the Affinity bridge pickup, it sounds far more like a real old Telecaster than either US or Mexican standards do.

Lots of my friends have nice guitars, but the only one I ever want to steal is an Affinity Tele with a stock bridge pickup and an Oil City Filtertron type in the neck.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I love my Affinity Tele, and I'm also a confirmed Les Paul guy.  I'm kind of multi personality when it comes to my solid body electrics, I have 5 and they're all different.  I've mentioned before about seeing all these pics of Jimmy Page with a Les Paul only to find out after buying a Les Paul that he used a Tele to record most of Led Zep 1 and 2!
    yes, im a les paul guy at heart, but the tele seems very versatile, i do wonder how often we assume our heroes used a specific guitar when they actually used something else
    Another 'guitar hero' famous for one guitar (a Rickie) but who was in fact actually making liberal use of a Tele on certain early cuts is Johnny Marr. 
  • p90fool said:
    Don't be in a rush to change the Affinity bridge pickup, it sounds far more like a real old Telecaster than either US or Mexican standards do.

Lots of my friends have nice guitars, but the only one I ever want to steal is an Affinity Tele with a stock bridge pickup and an Oil City Filtertron type in the neck.
    Don't intend to, I love the bridge pickup. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2955
    If I ever get another guitar again it'll probably be a tele. I love the tone, makes strats sound plinky plonky. Squier stuff is always good in my experience as well. 
  • Strats are for girls. Real men play Teles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom