Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

telecaster convert

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Strats are for girls. Real men play Teles.
    You might find that more girls actually play telecasters...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I had to sell a telecaster last year to pay off some bills. A Mexican '72 Custom Deluxe (the one with the HB's) in Black. 18 months later and it still hurts.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    not a sight you see often...

http://i68.tinypic.com/2rmxe78.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I've tried a number of Telecasters over the years. I have been GASing for one of a long time, but the only one that feels and sounds right to me is the USA Standard with maple fretboard. The Baja comes close, but I didn't get on with the neck

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5201
    Still lovin mine. It's a 1980 Tokai with Callaham bridge and brass saddles, Bare Knuckles Brown Sugar Pickups and a MJT neck

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag391/tonysmyth1/Mobile Uploads/FD148A21-CC48-4AD6-BC1A-A310FE7A1545_zpsxmnxzhz6.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I tried a butterscotch affinity tele in a shop, years ago. It was great, the neck felt perfect. So, of course, I bought a mex std tele. I ended up selling it. I like the sound of  teles a lot more when other people play them, than when I play them. I sometimes think I should have bought that affinity one, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9825
    I know I've written it before on this forum, but I reckon the Affinity Tele is Fender/Squier's best-kept secret. For around a hundred and fifty notes you get that Tele 'spank' in spades, a ridiculously good neck, and as others have already pointed out the bridge pickup is more 'Tele' than many found on the more expensive models.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    My first big brand guitar was a 1981 Fender Telecaster, a special run called Black and Gold Deluxe.

I played in all of the bands I have been in with it and had it for 13 years. Fast forward and over the last 10 years I have owned and played several modern Teles from Squier Classic Vibe, Baja, American Standard and American Deluxe and none quite felt right until I got an American Vintage 52 reissue earlier this year. The pickups sound very different from my old 1981 Tele and have a much more authentic vintage tone but the feel of the neck, radius and frets really remind me of my old Tele and feel right. I really like the vintage radius and frets, the fiesta aren't as small as the Squier Classic Vibe and I don't feel I am fighting them.

A good Tele that feels and sounds right to you can be a real joy and can make you shift your focus to working your amp and pedals to get the best tones

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    edited October 2016
    I came very late to Telecasters (been playing 45 yrs) and in fact it wasn't until around 5-6 yrs ago that I bought one.  But I just love it's simplicity and tone - it's a fabulous work horse, that can adapt to pretty much any style of playing with that powerful bright bridge pick-up and idiosyncratic neck p/up, and the combination of the two giving that very unique 'hollow' tone.  It's now one of my main gigging guitars.

Mine is an immaculate 1988 USA standard in a metallic aquamarine (pics don't do it justice) with white scratch-plate and rosewood board, and it has the original Fender hard-plastic compound case too.  

photo 1989USAFenderTelecasterinmetalicaquamarine_zps5dd8776cjpg

photo IMG-20160710-WA0016_zps28sifydajpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    I came very late to Telecasters (been playing 45 yrs) and in fact it wasn't until around 5-6 yrs ago that I bought one.  But I just love it's simplicity and tone - it's a fabulous work horse, that can adapt to pretty much any style of playing with that powerful bright bridge pick-up and idiosyncratic neck p/up, and the combination of the two giving that very unique 'hollow' tone.  It's now one of my main gigging guitars.

Mine is an immaculate 1988 USA standard in a metallic aquamarine (pics don't do it justice) with white scratch-plate and rosewood board, and it has the original Fender hard-plastic compound case too.  

photo 1989USAFenderTelecasterinmetalicaquamarine_zps5dd8776cjpg

photo IMG-20160710-WA0016_zps28sifydajpg
    yes, i think you nailed it, its simplicity, one volume, one tone control, who needs more?   built like a tank. always ignored them before but im looking forward to rehearsal and gigging this week with it.
  • Recently bought my first tele--- a 12 string DIY kit!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14007
    boydie101 said:
    Recently bought my first tele--- a 12 string DIY kit!
    Are you building 2 Teles then?  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27726
    I've been saying it for years, but it bears repeating: 

Everyone's second guitar should be a Tele. The only exception is if your first guitar is a Tele.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have recently got an Affinity Tele too and love it. Butterscotch blonde with black scratchplate. I just wish that I could play it like Albert Lee!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    I really want to love teles, but I just can't get over the 'neck drop' from not having an upper horn. It makes me sad. :0(