Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So what are your thoughts on what makes a guitar collector

What's Hot
musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1748
edited October 2016 in Guitar
I'm just interested in what your thoughts are on the difference between someone who calls themselves a guitar collector n someone who has a lot of guitars but doesn't consider themselves a collector?

The reason I ask is because I have an ongoing argument with my father about this topic.
He refuses to accept that he/we are guitar collectors. 
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wrong thread buddy unless you are selling the collection?!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'd say a collector is someone who has the guitars just for the sake of owning them and doesn't intend to play them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7896
    If you buy many guitars based on originality and scarcity you are likely to be a collector. If you just have a lot of guitars then you're a hoarder or Harryseven.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Define 'a lot of guitars'?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    Recently got rid of about 20 cheaper stuff in a cull we had.

Now left with 35 higher end stuff n a few with sentimental value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The line is quite blurred as far as I'm concerned... I know people who are players but have accumulated lots of stuff, which is what I think of myself as, but I suppose a collector would have some notable "pieces" that are valuable, or an interest in a specific type of guitar which they have a lot of examples of... or both. Whether or not you're a passionate player as well doesn't really come into it. Plenty are.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3377
    I sold a fender artist series guitar to a guy recently who only buys fender artist guitars, he doesn't play guitar, that's a collector. 

I buy guitars for reasons  ranging from sonic diversity to "I just like it", but I can't and do play guitar so I think that makes me a player not a collector. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    If you buy many guitars based on originality and scarcity you are likely to be a collector. If you just have a lot of guitars then you're a hoarder or Harryseven.

Indeed. It's an interesting one. :)

I'm not hugely interested in traditional notions of " originality and scarcity" or "notable "pieces" that are valuable" (in the sense of high-end/vintage Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, PRS, etc) - and while I can certainly appreciate them - and do own a few - I'm much more likely to be fired up by something left-field and quirky - eg. Stepp DG-1's, SynthAxe, Bond Electraglides and the like.

Of the 150+ guitars I own, probably something like only 20% would fit into the former category, although I'd definitely class myself as a collector - I do seek out unusual/interesting guitars/guitar-related technology - just not necessarily the "usual suspects" :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
    edited October 2016
    Voxman said:
    Recently got rid of about 20 cheaper stuff in a cull we had.

Now left with 35 higher end stuff n a few with sentimental value.
    How many of those do you actively use for songwriting / gigging / recording? Are you both professional or semi-pro musicians? How many of them are duplicates or similar?

Id say that many constituted a collection regardless, and iirc lots of yours are Gretsches; from your posts here I would certainly classify you as a collector. 

i don't think there's anything wrong with that, though. It's not the worst hobby a person could have.

Based on Harry's posts I'd classify him as a collector of the weird and unusual...with hoarder tendencies going by the shed shots :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    edited October 2016 tFB Trader
    I suppose many factors come in to play - You can collect stamps but you'll never use them - Same can be said for many bottles of wine

Part of been a collector is having a passion and knowledge for such 'objects' - whatever the collection is and wanting to add to the collection something you currently don't have - Wanting the finest examples

But surely any collection you have to be passionate about it - be it a player or not - admire them for whatever attributes that they offer and bring to you - And to a large degree the collecting should reflect you as a person and your personality - No use been a rock n roll 50's fan and collecting Floyd Rose based guitars
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16951
    When you end up with duplicates of the same style you are becoming a collector
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    All I know is that collectors push prices far higher than mere players, such as myself, are willing to pay.
    I can't help thinking of collectors as being slightly smug, selfish bastards.
    Not @HarrySeven obviously, he's doing us all a favour by ridding the world of ugly, undesirable "guitars" ;).
    I usually feel quite uncomfortable around huge collections.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2016
    I own 8 instruments. Each has a musical 'purpose'. One is a vintage classic from Gibson's golden era. With the exception of a couple, the rest are fairly high-end.

I don't consider myself a collector. I suspect a non-player - and certainly my ex-wife- would view it differently.

As long as you can afford it, without straining your family budget, I'm not sure it matters....
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    tFB Trader
    I suppose many factors come in to play - You can collect stamps but you'll never use them - Same can be said for many bottles of wine

Part of been a collector is having a passion and knowledge for such 'objects' - whatever the collection is and wanting to add to the collection something you currently don't have - Wanting the finest examples

But surely any collection you have to be passionate about it - be it a player or not - admire them for whatever attributes that they offer and bring to you - And to a large degree the collecting should reflect you as a person and your personality - No use been a rock n roll 50's fan and collecting Floyd Rose based guitars
    I suppose some one like Rory Gallagher saw the guitars as a tool to do the job and many players would think like wise - I dare say with Joe Bonamassa there is a bit of both within his thinking as a player and as a collector

I can see so many facets to this - are you a player first or a collector first - But if you have 1 or a 100 there must be some passion about why you have purchased it in the first place and still own it today 
  • The lines are definitely blurred, but I'd say a collector is deliberately acquisitive - they are usually actively looking to add to the collection and often with a particular goal (guitars of an era or particular characteristics).

A player may get regular bouts of GAS but it probably tends to be less structured or themed and more just 'ooh shiny thing' (which is my problem really).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23595
    I'm mostly a hoarder but within my hoard there are a few guitars which I'd regard as a collection because I deliberately set out to buy them with matching finishes.  I didn't pay over the odds for them, though, so it wasn't a case of I must have these, money no object.
  • WezV said:
    When you end up with duplicates of the same style you are becoming a collector
    What if you end up with guitars that all sound different, is that not a form of collection?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6415
    Perspective </spelling nazi>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    In my view, a serious guitar collector buys and pays a premium for 100% original, near mint examples of guitars they want to own. They may play them but the onus is on the piece being 100% original and an investment of sorts.

The rest of us buy guitars to play or because we like the look & sound of them and we are not worried that the bottom rear cavity screw might be from a '58 on a '55 guitar. Collectors are in my experience.

Everyone else are guitar players with a very heathy habit/addiction to acquiring more instruments!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • I find myself uncomfortable with more than 4, because I'm really a serial monogamist with guitars, I tend to have a favourite for whatever band I'm in.