Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So what are your thoughts on what makes a guitar collector

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    Voxman said:
    Define 'a lot of guitars'?
    Recently got rid of about 20 cheaper stuff in a cull we had.

Now left with 35 higher end stuff n a few with sentimental value.
    35 high end guitars buys you a house around here, so I think the word you're looking for is "lunatic".

:)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8123
    150+ guitars!  Blimey!  I feel really bad for having 9.  Feel that's way too many.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited October 2016
    I don't think you can collect something that isn't Collectable. I think HarrySeven's collection makes a lot more sense than the guys on MLPF who say they are collecting R9s.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited October 2016
    I have 8 guitars, three of which are Gretsches and one is a Rickenbacker Limited Edition. 

Whilst I can play to an extent, I've never been in a band and been on a plateau with my playing for a number of years now. It doesn't stop me buying guitars though.

I don't consider myself a collector, I just like the look of certain guitars.

I bought the Rickenbacker in 1988 when I saw it in a shop window whilst on my way to buy a Rickenbacker 330 in another shop. I really liked the look of it - the fact it was a Limited Edition was of no consequence.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @HarrySeven - you have 150+ guitars in a shed/s?

Are you sure you're not a shed collector?

You should do open days and show people around. I'd go on a bus trip to see your collection (and your sheds)
  • Voxman said:

How many of those do you actively use for songwriting / gigging / recording? Are you both professional or semi-pro musicians? How many of them are duplicates or similar?

Id say that many constituted a collection regardless, and iirc lots of yours are Gretsches; from your posts here I would certainly classify you as a collector. 

i don't think there's anything wrong with that, though. It's not the worst hobby a person could have.

Based on Harry's posts I'd classify him as a collector of the weird and unusual...with hoarder tendencies going by the shed shots :)
    My father's an ex pro who is now in his 70s and just plays at home when his health permits.
    I just play for my own enjoyment but obviously I've been brought up around nice guitars all my life so I appreciate them.
    We generally only buy nice n unusual guitars but never pay over the odds.

• p90fool said:
    Voxman said:

35 high end guitars buys you a house around here, so I think the word you're looking for is "lunatic".

:)
    Yeah but I own my house don't have a morage so the value in my guitars is irrelevant to me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    You lost me at the thread title, which has a non-word, a wrong word and a missing word.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    You lost me at the thread title, which has a non-word, a wrong word and a missing word.
    Ha ha, late after work n a bottle of wine what does one expect. Ha ha 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16951
    WezV said:
    When you end up with duplicates of the same style you are becoming a collector
    What if you end up with guitars that all sound different, is that not a form of collection?
    Nah, that's just a nice sensible approach .

My brother has a whiskey collection.  He won't even open a bottle unless he has a duplicate.  I buy lots of different ones, but drink them and move on to the next. He is a collector, I am an alcoholic.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experience of guitar forums (not just this one) there are a lot of guys who I would call collectors that don't seem willing to describe themselves as such. It's odd how unwilling people are to admit to it, it's not a bad thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A collector would be to pay more than a fair price for an item if it is something they really need to have
  • A collector would be to pay more than a fair price for an item if it is something they really need to have
    So by that we are differently not collectors. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I wouldn't describe myself as a collector, but other people maybe would, and they might have a point. "Collector" for me, conjures up an image of someone with personality traits,  that I'm not completely comfortable with, but may well possess.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    @HarrySeven - you have 150+ guitars in a shed/s?

Are you sure you're not a shed collector?

You should do open days and show people around. I'd go on a bus trip to see your collection (and your sheds)

@Bridgehouse Lol! No, I don't keep my guitars in sheds!

The "shed" thing was referring to an earlier post/thread re. me sorting out one of my carefully organised storage facilities errr... :s    

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @HarrySeven - I have a carefully organised garage facility which requires significant re engineering currently so I sympathise.

As for 150+ guitars, I couldn't begin to imagine...!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I can't imagine anyone with that many guitars. I think once you have more than 6 electrics you have a problem. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    I can't imagine anyone with that many guitars. I think once you have more than 6 electrics you have a problem. 

I've never said I don't have a problem! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3697
    Only a problem if you don't have enough storage space. ;)

There are goodly amount of people on here with more than six electrics - I wouldn't say they had a "problem".