Cant input text from ipad?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Feck, it did! Never, ever got that to work before !  :) 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Speaking of iDevices, can we get emojis on here please?
  • Oooh, glad I found this thread...been swearing at my tablet for a while now. Awesome...seems to work.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    Testing, adding a line break. Next line
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72530
    The formatting thing is inconsistent and a bit annoying…

Works fine on Mac.

Works fine on iPhone when in Mobile mode, but when in Full Site mode it will not put in line breaks.

iPad is in Full Site mode and doesn't appear to have the option of Mobile so it also won't put in breaks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27651
    edited September 2015
    ICBM said:
    iPad is in Full Site mode and doesn't appear to have the option of Mobile so it also won't put in breaks.

Typing
    this
    on
    an
    iPad

???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited September 2015
    I will just try it again... Edit: that all had breaks between every word. And a double one before 'edit'. ??? Indeed!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You have clicked the  < > button, top right of the textbox toolbar?
    edited September 2015
    Let me try that... I thought that was for source code editing. It seems to be on the computer.

Edit: didn't seem to work. 

edited September 2015
    But did when I edited it. ? 

I don't know...

The kids want the iPad back now anyway :).
    And that did... But now it's showing all the source when I edit it! Grrrr. I'll just stick to the phone.

Ah, I see. You have to click it every time you go into it. Faff...

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I have no problem getting line breaks on the iPad as long as I remember to press the <> button.

But it often seems to randomly flip back to the other mode, especially when editing.
    mart said:
    I have no problem getting line breaks on the iPad as long as I remember to press the <> button.

But it often seems to randomly flip back to the other mode, especially when editing.
    Yes, that's what I've just found. You not only have to click it, you have to make sure it stays clicked, and going back into edit mode tends to turn it off again.

I posted this by going back to the computer and typing it there. Much easier.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7536
    Please please please fix the template for iPad.

I post less than I would because of it. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    Please please please fix the template for iPad.

I post less than I would because of it. 
    I post from an iPad a fair bit...I find I have to tap in the text area...then hit the '<>' button...maybe back & forth once or twice...then everything works out okay.
    Well, exactly. It's a pain in the arse.

t gets brought up time and time again by users. And every new person has to learn it or assumes it's just broken (well, it is...) 

Red ones are better. 
    edited November 2015
    TimmyO said:

The reason that the functionality is limited when using an iPad (and some other devices) is the text editor add-in that we use here.  That said, probably 50% of my input here has been from an iPad, so it can be done, with that little <> workaround.

The reason that the text editor add-in has limited functionality is - largely - because it's free, and not a commercial piece of software.  We could use wonderful sing-y dance-y software here, but that would cost money.

The reason that we use free software, as opposed to sing-y dance-y cost-more software, is because we don't have the ££s to actually pay for the software.

The reason that we don't have the ££s is because the forum is free.

We take no ads.

We charge no membership fees.

We generate no revenues in any form (other than the t-shirt/calendar fund raisers that a small minority of our members actually support), yet somehow we manage to support a 'kin large database with enough bandwidth to support the current 80k+ hits a day and beyond, that's had <1hr of unplanned downtime since we went live over 2 years ago.

Yes, I'm touchy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If the egg-sucking comment is because this is your profession then you'll know that ux trap-101 is assuming because you don't mind users don't. 

How much would a working text editor cost? (genuine Q - there may be a way to generate those funds) 
    Fixing the current one is probably less than a couple of days of a good ux dev. Depending what's needed, potentially way less.

Until yesterday (when my redundancy was finalised - boo) it was my job to challenge 'it'll be ok' in ux among other things. So yes I suppose I'm also touchy about it haha
    Red ones are better. 
    Well, if you're offering some skills to help the dev work, we'd not say "no"!

We're using the Open Source Vanilla platform rather than the paid-for commercial version.  As a result, all the plug-ins to provide the functionality are open-source too.  

Moving to the commercial version would cost many times what we've managed to raise to date.  Many times.  And require us to continue to raise that many-times amounts each year for the annual fees.  Unless we were to make this a fully commercial forum, that would not be achievable.

That said, we do have a new text editor on the dev site.

All we need now is about 20 man days to implement it fully, write the test scripts, and then run all the system and regression tests on the plethora of devices, OSes and browsers that are used to access the forum ... All for free.