Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Manned up and went fat

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
I've just stuck some 11s on my LP Special. 

I'm usually a 9-46 or 10-46 at a push sort of chap.

It's bloody easier to play and sounds better. Oh and it was more grateful afterwards.

I'm still in shock.
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've been an 11's chap for about ten years, and find it impossible to go to a lower gauge now. I was always 9-46 for ages in the 80s, and struggled to get on with 10s. But now even 10s seem a bit thin and clangy somehow. I find I can also set the action a tad lower using 11s, I think due to the extra tension.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    11's is THE gauge for a Junior/Special IMO, sounds SO much better. Don't ask me why, they just do :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    miserneil said:
    11's is THE gauge for a Junior/Special IMO, sounds SO much better. Don't ask me why, they just do :-)
    I am now convinced. I have grown up and put away those childish things. Despite all the hype, I can even bend some of them more than 1/4 of a tone. I think the callouses are going to affect my ability to do delicate needlework tho. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Heavier strings definitely stay in tune better too.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Iv been advising @meltedbuzzbox to get some 11s on his Jaguar for ages. 
    blueskunk said:
    Iv been advising @meltedbuzzbox to get some 11s on his Jaguar for ages. 
    To be fair, and for the purposes of complete openness, I've had 11's on my '72 Jaguar for quite a while - it's the only reason I had a pack of 11's in the house. Jags are different beasts and need 11's due to that scale length and bridge.. 

But now I've put them on the LP Special... goodness me.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    I've been thinking about "going fat" or at least fatter on my Gibson scale length instruments. I am very tempted...
    merlin said:
    I've been thinking about "going fat" or at least fatter on my Gibson scale length instruments. I am very tempted...
    Do it. 

Bit of Savlon for your fingers and you're sorted. 
  • Heavier strings definitely stay in tune better too.
    In what sense? In note attack yes they'd go less sharp. In general? I'm not convinced they detune at a different rate
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I switched to 11s years ago for both Gibson and Fender scale-lengths. I used to do 10s on Fenders, but one day I was out of 10s and a strat needed restringing... never looked back since.

Funnily enough, I could imagine switching most Gibsons down to 10s, but the single coil guitars (including a P90 LP Special I got a while back) - I just don't fancy the lighter strings on those.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    11's are the way to go. Although I havent gigged in a few years, I'm a bit worried about what it would be like now for my hands. Fingers crossed just a few weeks of pain.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    I have 11 flatwounds on my Jag and Mustang, I am thinking going up to 12/13's next.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    If 009 - 042 is good enough for the Rev Billy Gibbons, they're good enough for me.  Me and Billy...separated at birth and wimps together.  :3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I use 68-14s on my Travis Bean....tuned to B
    I use 68-14s on my Travis Bean....tuned to B
    Is that cos you are left handed? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    I have been converted to 11's after buying a rather lovely Peerless Songbird from @menamestom  that he'd strung with that gauge. it was like having a blindfold removed. I an now a complete 11s fanboy :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited October 2016
    miserneil said:
    I am now convinced. I have grown up and put away those childish things. Despite all the hype, I can even bend some of them more than 1/4 of a tone. I think the callouses are going to affect my ability to do delicate needlework tho. 
    You'll save on thimbles though!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Voxman said:
    If 009 - 042 is good enough for the Rev Billy Gibbons, they're good enough for me.  Me and Billy...separated at birth and wimps together.  :3
    I though he uses 7s?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23641
    Voxman said:

I thought he went even lighter, .008 to .040?  His "signature" Dunlop strings are even available in .007 to .038.

I tried 11s once, didn't like 'em.  The high strings were too hard to bend and the low strings didn't seem significantly tighter or twangier than usual - it really didn't seem to produce the "bigger" sound everyone always claims.  I stick to 10s.  I might even go back down to 9s as I get older and feebler.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    miserneil said:
    Wrap over bridges and Gibson scale length probably play a part.

I'm a hideous wimp - 10s on my 335 and 9s on my Strat.

13-56 on my acoustic though....