Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Manned up and went fat

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12100
    When everyone was on 7s and 8s in the 80s, I went for 9s with a heavy bottom 3 (i.e. 10s for the bottom 3)
    They are great - still my  only gauge for normal scale length. I'd add 0.005 for short scale, or do 10s if I was  fussy.

There's a load of pseudo science around string gauges, some people can get thin strings to sound ace, it's personal technique, gear and preference. You cannot say "11s sound better". For some, they do, not for all.  Bend control  is the most important, and not playing rhythm on floppy  bass strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I've been on 11-54's at concert pitch for about 10 years now, on Strat's and Tele's. Dropped down to 10's  for a while during a hand injury but it didn't feel right, so up to 11-49.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I've noticed that when it comes to 11s people seem to have different preferences for the bottom ends... The set I put on are 48's but there's 49's 52's etc.. 

52's sound well scary
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    I think Billy Gibbons uses 007, 008 & 009's. He used to use thicker guages until BB King said to him "why make life hard for yourself?".  BG's tone is fab with lighter strings and I'm very happy with 009-042's. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    edited October 2016
    Ive never heard any difference beyond 10s to be honest, on Gretsch, SG and strat....the only noticeable effect was making them more difficult to play! 

Sticking some one flat wounds on, though, that's a real difference! 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've noticed that when it comes to 11s people seem to have different preferences for the bottom ends... The set I put on are 48's but there's 49's 52's etc.. 

52's sound well scary
    I used to play 10-52 on my Tele.

They're great if you use a thicker pick. I suggest trying the jet black dunlop primetone picks, 3mm thick.
    It's quite a profound effect.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4768
    Alnico said:

52's sound well scary
    I used to play 10-52 on my Tele.

They're great if you use a thicker pick. I suggest trying the jet black dunlop primetone picks, 3mm thick.
    It's quite a profound effect.

I use 10-52 on Tele's, the lighter top works for unison bends, the heavier top gives them more chunk. The perfect guage for Tele's.  Strats I have always gone for 11's.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4768
    equalsql said:
    I have been converted to 11's after buying a rather lovely Peerless Songbird from @menamestom  that he'd strung with that gauge. it was like having a blindfold removed. I an now a complete 11s fanboy :)
    Great, glad you stuck with them.  That's a lovely guitar and really suits the higher gauge.  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    Just to be different I use 10.5 on my sg in Eb. Might go back up to 11s though just because it's easier to find them.
  • blueskunk said:
    Iv been advising @meltedbuzzbox to get some 11s on his Jaguar for ages. 
    you faaaaacking what sunshine? @blueskunk its 11s on everything!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I use 10s on my Les Pauls and plan to use 9s on my Strat (as soon as it gets back). U experimented with 11s but it didn't add enough to the tone and made the bends a lot harder. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Weird thing with these 11s.

For vibrato, I mix up the more accepted up n' down vibrato with some classical style (backwards and forwards on the string). With the 11s I've noticed that I can get a more pronounced vibrato tone from back and forth on the string than I ever did with lighter strings. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

For vibrato, I mix up the more accepted up n' down vibrato with some classical style (backwards and forwards on the string). With the 11s I've noticed that I can get a more pronounced vibrato tone from back and forth on the string than I ever did with lighter strings. 
    That's more than bloody interesting pal !

Right, for starters i have wondered for almost 3 decades where the hell i picked up that "Back and Forth" vibrato technique and i probably use it the most. So it's a classical thing is it? Excellent, at least now i know.

So my Jackson soloist is staying on 10's and that's fine,.....10-46 (D'addario pro steels)
    But i *might* be getting another guitar soon (ish) that's going to be a hardtail and *might* be a Gibson scale length.

I've never played 11's.
    Ever.

I think this is going to be a very loud and possibly painful experiment but one that needs doing nonetheless. 

Thanks for the quote above, i now know that i have never created anything remotely original on the guitar, not even a shred of technique. 

;)
    Classical (violin style) vibrato doesn't make logical sense on a fretted instrument - but it does work. In fact, for some styles and for subtle clean tones, it's more articulate I think. 

But I suspect it's considered a no no on guitar - so stick with it ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354

It's bloody easier to play ...
    I refuse to believe that! illogical.
    edited October 2016
    axisus said:

It's bloody easier to play ...
    I refuse to believe that! illogical.
    I'm finding it easier to control movement around the fretboard and it's giving a more positive feel. Fretting itself is harder but I can adjust to that
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648

I also do that, especially on thicker strings. I find it easier to incorporate into a faster piece of playing. It's very subtle but adds to things. 
    According to classical guitar aficionados the up and down vibrato sounds too bluesy for them - so the back and forward is used for a more subtle sounding accent.

I really like it on clean phrases and to just give a bit of colour to some notes. Works really well in an ambient style where you have a lot of delay and the like to make sure the tone doesn't get too muddy with thick up and down vibrato

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929

11-49s on most guitars. 11-52s on my Duo Sonic. Might even go to 11-52s on my others. 10s feel toy like. Granted I don't play any fender std scale lengths anymore.