In praise of the serial flippers

What's Hot
MoosterMooster Frets: 68
I confess I am a serial flipper, having flipped and part-ex'd a number of guitars and gear over the years. I also have read enough posts and lingered here enough to know a large part of community are serial flippers too. I've played enough second-hand guitars to know that most people take good care of their gear and the condition of most second-hand gear in the top stores are no worst than me buying a new guitar and playing it for 6 months. Want a PRS 594? Wait until someone flips it. Want that boutique high-end guitar or amp? It's going to come back to the store like a boomerang a few months later. I now keep a beady eye on the secondhand section of most stores and am often surprised that the guitar that looked tasty new, comes back to the store 6 months later with a good 30% to 40% lopped-off the price tag. Is it bad rejected gear? I don't think so. In most cases it's "ah man, I need that new..."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    To me, "flip" is a semi-derogatory term which means to buy on the used marked for the sole purpose of selling immediately for a profit.  But your description isn't really that.  Perhaps we need to agree on the definition.  To buy new and sell at a considerable loss a few months later is definitely not flipping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    To me, "flip" is a semi-derogatory term which means to buy on the used marked for the sole purpose of selling immediately for a profit.  But your description isn't really that.  Perhaps we need to agree on the definition.  To buy new and sell at a considerable loss a few months later is definitely not flipping.
    I'd disagree. I'm a serial gear flipper (at least pedals). I buy new and used, test stuff for the interest of seeing what it's like and then pass on. I don't think I ever make a profit on my items, in fact normally due to my location it's a 10-20% loss thanks to the postage, even if I flip it for the same price. Unlike most of the gear I sell on here, which I notice nearly always gets marked up next time it appears (with a few exceptions)

I admit I really buy brand new gear for full RRP, that I don't think I will keep - I tend to wait for sales and deals.

• MoosterMooster Frets: 68
    Ah yes, maybe I got the wrong term. I meant the latter. I meant flipping your gear frequently: buy, sell, buy, sell, to chase the latest must have.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    Sorry, I thought this was a thread about the Flipper dolphin TV show...were you misleading me on porpoise ? D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd disagree. I'm a serial gear flipper (at least pedals). I buy new and used, test stuff for the interest of seeing what it's like and then pass on. I don't think I ever make a profit on my items, in fact normally due to my location it's a 10-20% loss thanks to the postage, even if I flip it for the same price. Unlike most of the gear I sell on here, which I notice nearly always gets marked up next time it appears (with a few exceptions)

I admit I really buy brand new gear for full RRP, that I don't think I will keep - I tend to wait for sales and deals.

Is it actually possible to disagree with the established definition of a word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipping

If you're not doing it for profit, it's not flipping.  Sounds like the people who are buying off you are flipping though! :) Perhaps we should come up with a new term for buying for trial purposes and selling for a loss?  Flopping?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4639
    I would say OP's definition of flipping is the correct one, not wiki's. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

If you're not doing it for profit, it's not flipping.  Sounds like the people who are buying off you are flipping though! :) Perhaps we should come up with a new term for buying for trial purposes and selling for a loss?  Flopping?

Tossing?

"I just can't stop being a serial tosser when it comes to my guitar gear"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    edited October 2016
    I read the title as 'in praise of serial killers'.
    Not sure what that says about me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    edited October 2016

If you're not doing it for profit, it's not flipping.  Sounds like the people who are buying off you are flipping though! Perhaps we should come up with a new term for buying for trial purposes and selling for a loss?  Flopping?

Since when do we defer to a US definition of English language as being correct?
    Beside's that definition refers to real estate in the main.

On this board, I feel it's just used for those of us who get gear, try it, sell it, then rinse and repeat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    Sassafras said:
    I read the title as 'in praise of serial killers'.
    Not sure what that says about me.
    Be afraid of Sassafras...be very afraid! D 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Good point on the keeping an eye out for bargains, however "flipping" is IMHO reselling for a quick buck.

You heard it all the time in the M.P. expenses scandal.

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited October 2016
    I've come to the realisation that I do this a lot! I said at the start of the year that I would try not to buy anything in 2016. I failed. Spectacularly. 6 out and 5 in (including the one coming back tonight) with 2 months to go!

My collection has one electric and one acoustic that have been constant for a few years, the rest is very fluid- I sell what I'm not playing and use the proceeds to buy whatever has caught my eye recently. 
    I've been doing this for years and enjoy the diversity of instruments I've owned (however briefly). MrsLostSon occasionally despairs about the constant changing of colours and shapes & steady stream of hirsute rockers arriving at the door to buy or sell, but generally it's fine. I sometimes make a small profit, sometimes a small loss (I'm £45 up for the year) as hobbies go it's harmless. 
  • MoosterMooster Frets: 68

Maybe my point got lost in the correct terminology, but what I am trying to say is that serial <something> creates a healthy secondary market for gear. I used to ponder what would be wrong with second-hand gear as it has been unloved and returned, but when I'm on the hot seat: ready to part-ex or sell to buy, what I am trading or selling isn't bad, just that my eye is on something else.

So my strategy is different, instead of salivating and fixating on the one new shiny gear I have to, have to buy, I hesitate on pulling the trigger to see if later down the line it will pop up again, or hunt around to find something similar on the used market. Plus when it's second-hand, I get the comforting luxury of not having to freak out about dinging it.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    This life style is difficult at the moment when the majority of people haven't got the money to be buying gear. For those that have, its great, I've seen amps and guitars go for STUPID money, and have got some stuff on crazy bargains. Flip side is I can't sell on things for anywhere near what they're worth, so my revolving 'gear fund' has somewhat dried up, as a large amount is held in a few amps that don't seem to want to move.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4693
    edited October 2016
    i have been guilty of having a few in and outs this year, i am now fairly settled on CV Tele , Fender FMT , Les Paul Studio and Les Paul Junior. keep telling myself there is nothing else i need, but this place doesnt help at all !!! 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    SNAKEBITE said:

Good point on the keeping an eye out for bargains, however "flipping" is IMHO reselling for a quick buck.

No, 'flipping' is constantly changing gear looking for the 'one'. Money doesn't come into it. I had a chronic pedal flipping habit at one time but it worked to the extent that I finally have a selection that I'm 100% happy with. There is light at the end of the flipping tunnel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i have been guilty of having a few in and outs this year, i am not fairly settled on CV Tele , Fender FMT , Les Paul Studio and Les Paul Junior. keep telling myself there is nothing else i need, but this place doesnt help at all !!! 
    That's one telling typo! ;)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4693
    amazing what one letter difference makes huh  :-) changed so who looks silly now 
    edited October 2016
    JezWynd said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

No, 'flipping' is constantly changing gear looking for the 'one'. Money doesn't come into it. I had a chronic pedal flipping habit at one time but it worked to the extent that I finally have a selection that I'm 100% happy with. There is light at the end of the flipping tunnel.
    No, @SNAKEBITE has it right.  "Flipping" is defined (by Wikipedia, the Urban dictionary, and the Oxford dictionary) as buying and quickly reselling for profit, not for use.

I prefer "flopping" for regularly buying and reselling for the purposes of experimentation rather than profit.

It's an important distinction, because flippers are not generally good for the market.  They keep prices low for sellers, but push prices up for buyers, whilst adding no value.  They have no practical use for the goods themselves.  Ticket touts are good examples of flippers, particularly when they buy large numbers of undervalued tickets and resell at large profits.

Floppers are good for the entire market.  When they buy goods new, they absorb the depreciation, and pass them on to the used market, making quality goods more affordable.  When they buy used, they keep used market turning over and generally have no interest in bumping up the price when they come to sell.  Because they are using the goods before selling them they build up a wide knowledge base of products, and, probably most importantly, they end up with good tone because they've experimented so much they end up with a very good choice of equipment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6178
    JezWynd said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

No, @SNAKEBITE has it right.  "Flipping" is defined (by Wikipedia, the Urban dictionary, and the Oxford dictionary) as buying and quickly reselling for profit, not for use.

In that case I was definitely doing it wrong.  :s
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom