In praise of the serial flippers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    Mooster said:

Maybe my point got lost in the correct terminology, but what I am trying to say is that serial <something> creates a healthy secondary market for gear. I used to ponder what would be wrong with second-hand gear as it has been unloved and returned, but when I'm on the hot seat: ready to part-ex or sell to buy, what I am trading or selling isn't bad, just that my eye is on something else.

So my strategy is different, instead of salivating and fixating on the one new shiny gear I have to, have to buy, I hesitate on pulling the trigger to see if later down the line it will pop up again, or hunt around to find something similar on the used market. Plus when it's second-hand, I get the comforting luxury of not having to freak out about dinging it.

I agree whole heartedley, especially for pedals, buying 2nd hand makes so much sense. Generally speaking buying 2nd hand means that any big hits on reselling are negated. the key is to only buy new in sales or with promo codes.

I saw someone on here (Drew I think) saying they had been recycling the same gear money for years. I've just worked out that this year I'm in credit as helix replaced a whole bunch of stuff and whilst I've still bought some pedals, the other ones I sold covered the cost. I think I'm at 25 pedals out 5 (plus helix) in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7898
    I went through a two year phase of doing this with pedals and basses to find better stuff. generally I'm better off with gear and no worse off with money.
    Flopped, 2x Rats, MIJ CE-2, DS-1, OD-3, OC-2, Germ fuzz, Zendrive clone, Maxon SD-9, Skreddy P19
    to buy: BJE pale green comp, Buffalo TD-X, Neo Mini vent, MXR Phase 45, Skreddy Lunar Module
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Well I've bought a pedal from one the self confessed serial buyers and sellers and it was nothing at all to do with profit, in fact it was just about the best deal i've ever had on a pedal and i'm still hugely grateful to @Teetonetal for it.

I think flipping is not the right term for  someone who likes to buy and sell / trade in.

I've had some incredible gear at really friendly prices from a lot of the prolific buyers and sellers here and i've always felt that flipping was to turn a quick profit, not what this community offers each other.

Whenever i sell anything here i refer to it as "I'm going to Pass this on" and what i get for it depends on how valuable it is to people at the time but also how little i can take for it without messing things up too  much for myself. 

I prefer to give things than sell them, when i can afford to.
    You can't buy that feeling from both sides.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    Surely a tone chaser? Somebody whose constantly seeking that elusive holy grail.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    DrJazzTap said:
    Surely a tone chaser? Somebody whose constantly seeking that elusive holy grail.
    I am certainly not chasing tone. That's a separate thing entirely. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    DrJazzTap said:
    I am certainly not chasing tone. That's a separate thing entirely. 
    Ah I didn't mean any offence. I was just trying to think of something softer than a flipper. :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.