Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars with reasonably chunky necks

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4768

I'm after something up to a grand, probably nearer £500 that has a chunky-ish neck.  Doesn't need to be baseball bat size, just not as thin as say, the Squire CV's or standards.

Not sure what I want, not a telecaster and nothing pointy.  I only have a Tele and want something a bit different.

I've been looking at the G&L tribute's, PRS S2, Revstar's etc.  Ibanez semi's.   I'll get out and try some but just after ideas.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    How about a Tokai 158 (a 1959-style thick necked 335 copy made in Japan) for £800, an Ibanez AS103 for £400, or an ESP LTD 203 Strat for £175? All have nice chunky necks.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited October 2016
    Gordon Smith Graduate from £650? I'm sure they'll accommodate a chunky neck for you. You can choose some of the spec including pickups and body wood. And they're made in Britain. Can't vouch for the quality, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them. Remember, since it would be new, it will at least come with a warranty.
  • I've got a Gibson SG 50s tribute. The neck is wonderfully chunky & comfortable, it has P90s too- which on an SG is a VERY good thing indeed! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4768

fandango said:
    Gordon Smith Graduate from £650? I'm sure they'll accommodate a chunky neck for you. You can choose some of the spec including pickups and body wood. And they're made in Britain. Can't vouch for the quality, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them. Remember, since it would be new, it will at least come with a warranty.

I've had one before, it was okay actually but a bit rough around the edges.  Good idea though.
    Chalky said:
    How about a Tokai 158 (a 1959-style thick necked 335 copy made in Japan) for £800, an Ibanez AS103 for £400, or an ESP LTD 203 Strat for £175? All have nice chunky necks.

Could be interested in the Ibanez, but will probably buy new, as I think I'm getting vouchers for my birthday, but interesting you say the Ibanez has a chunky neck.

What colour is it?

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    New or old?
    SC or Hum?
    The neck on my old Epi Olympic is fat as, and comfy as hell as well.

I know I keep saying it but REISSUE IT goddamit
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23641
    Chalky said:

Could be interested in the Ibanez, but will probably buy new, as I think I'm getting vouchers for my birthday, but interesting you say the Ibanez has a chunky neck.

I just looked at the Ibanez website and it says the AS103 neck is 20mm at the first fret and 26.5mm at the 12th.  That's quite a taper, like going from a Fender Modern C at one end to a Nocaster (or more) at the other!  I've never tried one but I'm not sure those specs are right.

You mentioned PRS S2 models, they all seem to have pretty much the same neck profile, a little fatter than the old Wide Thin but a little thinner than the old Wide Fat.  I wish they were a bit chunkier but they're certainly not toothpicks.

• AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I like the Revstar neck.

I was about to say - it is a bit narrow, though... BUT, I just went to check. It's not really. It is narrow compared to a Les Paul or 61 Reissue SG... which is what I'd been playing a lot prior to getting it.

But compared to a Baja tele (I have the 50s and the 60s), it's very similar. To me it feels like a reasonable Fender neck with a Gibson scale length.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12513
    I've got a Gibson SG 50s tribute. The neck is wonderfully chunky & comfortable, it has P90s too- which on an SG is a VERY good thing indeed! 

This ^ I've got an SG gothic from 2000 with a similar neck, nicely chunky without being huge. It'd already been much modified when I bought it (repaired neck break, new headstock overlay, stripped back to bare wood and re-stained, black hardware replaced with chrome). I swapped out the original humbuckers for P90's and am really happy with it.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited October 2016
    I'd look for an MIM Cabronita.  Very chunky but very smooth neck.

Oops, you said not a Telecaster
  • Epiphone 1956 Les Paul
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7898
    S2s are great
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Reverends have a nice "medium oval" neck, not too thin and not too thick.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    Didn't the Kenny Wayne Shepard sig MIM Strat have a big neck ?
  • The fattest neck I have ever seen was on a guitar owned by @hywelg ;. I'm not sure if it was a partscaster or a custom job but it was a handful and a half.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    The fattest neck I have ever seen was on a guitar owned by @hywelg ;. I'm not sure if it was a partscaster or a custom job but it was a handful and a half.
    That was the other thing I was going to say, either go for a full on Parts build or hunt around for the best deal you can find on something you like (except the neck ) which has a standard Fender neck pocket and swap in an Allparts FAT.
    Or better still, get GSPBasses to build you exactly the neck you want ! 
    A partscaster is my fall back option. Might be my only choice, my tele is an allparts with one of their fat necks. I was thinking of a HH tele with a carved top and fat rosewood board neck. I think that's the point of the question really, to see options before I go down that route again. The neck doesn't have to be that fat though, the allparts one is a beast and suits 50's style teles.
    Reverends have a nice "medium oval" neck, not too thin and not too thick.
    I'd not thought of those, will check them out. The Manta Ray looks nice.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23641
    DrBob said:
    It's pretty big - not really deep at the 1st fret but chunky at the 12th.  Just a little bigger than the Robert Cray sig.
  • DrBob said:
    It does up the fretboard, but is pretty thin down by the nut.