Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitars with reasonably chunky necks

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Try a 50s tribute les Paul if you can find one in that price range. Lovely necks - and pretty decent guitars.

Here's one in Amazon Warehouse deals for that money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gibson-Paul-Tribute-Electric-Guitar/dp/B005PUAEUG/ref=sr_1_4?m=A2OAJ7377F756P&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1477429098&sr=1-4&keywords=Gibson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The fattest neck I have ever seen was on a guitar owned by @hywelg ;;. I'm not sure if it was a partscaster or a custom job but it was a handful and a half.
    Obviously ain't played mine then!
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    Not recommendations, as I've not played either, but for "chunky neck and a bit different" have you thought about a Brian May guitar or an Ibanez Fireman?
  • I became a bit obsessed with neck thickness after playing a 57 reissue strat for a while. From that point on a modern c just didn't do it for me and I went thicker and thicker. One other option is to get a fender and swap the neck - the Allparts TMO Fat (or the strat equivalent) is an inch thick right down the neck and to my mind is almost perfect. They do need finishing and the frets need a bit of fettling off the peg - but are worth it.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8146
    Reverends have a nice "medium oval" neck, not too thin and not too thick.
    Agreed. reverend necks are excellent.  The best Reverend neck I've played is on my Reverend PA-1. 

Cracking guitar!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    I had a Jap Tokai SG custom with the fattest neck I've ever handled, may be worth searching out for one

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    A5D5E5 said:
    Not recommendations, as I've not played either, but for "chunky neck and a bit different" have you thought about a Brian May guitar or an Ibanez Fireman?
    Don't know about the Fireman, but I would have imagined that about the Brian May guitar...

Except, I've got one... My BMG Special (the commercially made one, in budget) is a wide but VERY slim neck - it's not built like the square log that is the original. They do a "Super" model that is apparently to the same specs as his original, but that costs 4 or 5 times as much.

The biggest necks I have are:

LP Traditional - that's nice and chunky, really comfortable. But out of budget unless you can find someone selling 2nd hand in a possibly desperate need-some-money fashion.

A Japanese Tokai Love Rock - don't know what model it is. That's as comfy as the Trad dimensions-wise. Doesn't feel as soft and welcoming, though.

Baja 50s tele - but it's a tele.

A Faded SG - mine's 2009, I think. They seemed variable back then, not sure what they're like now. Mine has a clubby sort of neck with square shoulders (what I imagine the real Red Special to be, except for the shorter scale length). Whenever I first pick the Faded up (say, after the Trad) I think "er wot?!!" but it's actually very comfy to play.

A Fender Japan CIJ "62" strat - nice solid feel to it.

One of the 1st run 60s Roadworn strats - same sort of neck as the CIJ, mebbe slightly bigger.

... all of these are what I call chunky-ish (ok, the Trad is a bit more than that), and they're all chunkier than the CVs. I was really excited by the CVs when they came out, but SO disappointed when I tried them - because of the skinny necks.

Good luck with the hunt!
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited October 2016
    The fireman is a good shout. Every review I've seen of them comments on how surprisingly big the neck is. They're AWESOME looking things too. 
    I don't like Paul Gilbert or Racer X to listen to, but if I HAD to buy a signature guitar this would be top of the list. 

http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resources/archives/146d9e2d-ea8f-4771-9cf6-d40b4322c686.JPG?1371672627
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23641
    I really wanted to get an Ibanez Fireman, but when the MIC production version came out I heard the neck wasn't as fat as the original korina MIJ-and-very-expensive model, which put me off a bit.

And it's probably a bit too radical-looking for me, really.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    edited October 2016
    There is a PRS Cu22 on EBay that has the wide fat neck, and is a very nice coral flame top.  Starting bid £800 with a BIN of £1,200 (unknown if there's any reserve on it) but no bids yet.  Model year (from serial number) is 2003 I think.

Looks to have some buckle rash on the back, and I've been in dialogue with owner asking for pics to have a closer look.  He describes the neck as very 'Les Paul' like and apparently (as confirmed by the PRS website) tone tends to be a little fuller and warmer as compared wide thin neck versions.  Not sure yet if I'm going to bid (£800 is a darned good price for a Cu22 even with buckle rash) as I'm not sure if the neck might be too chunky for my taste and I'd also prefer a trem version. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112175217151?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Try a 50s tribute les Paul if you can find one in that price range. Lovely necks - and pretty decent guitars.

Here's one in Amazon Warehouse deals for that money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gibson-Paul-Tribute-Electric-Guitar/dp/B005PUAEUG/ref=sr_1_4?m=A2OAJ7377F756P&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1477429098&sr=1-4&keywords=Gibson

Considering selling my one if the OP is interested.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited October 2016
    The fattest neck I have ever seen was on a guitar owned by @hywelg ;;. I'm not sure if it was a partscaster or a custom job but it was a handful and a half.
    It had been slimmed down by that point. It started as a Warmoth superwide,  47.6mm nut. I've taken both my stats down to about 45.5mm since then. The Blue Strat was originally huge, it had the fatback profile which was monstrous, and I've taken some of the wood away at the back too. The amber strat was much slimmer to start with and is less of a handful.