Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Defining Tracks for Effects

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8573
edited January 2014 in FX
What tracks, for you, define the use of the major effects types:

Best to ovoid OD and Distortion, I'm thinking of proper effected signals.

Here's the first ones that came to my mind.....

Flange: ain't talking 'bout love - Van Halen

Chorus: Come as you are - Nirvana (I've mentally blocked out most other chorus use on the grounds of bad taste)

Phase: subterranean homesick alien - Radiohead

Delay: pride - U2

Fuzz: Bold as Love (outro) - Hendrix

Wah: voodoo chile is quite obvious so I'll plump for see the light - Jeff Healey

What's yours? Feel free to add other major effect types I might have missed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'd have said SCoM for Wah. Although Voodoo Chile is a good call.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2014
    Good choices, although isn't "Ain't Talking..." Eddie using the Phase 90? Unchained is the song that pops into my head when thinking about Flangers. 

Message in a Bottle is another for the flanger/chorus type thing (iirc it was a flanger).

Going right back I think Link Wray's "The Rumble" is a great example of amp tremolo.

Personally I'd go with Exit for delay (Mr The Edge again of course) 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    [quote="not_the_dj;133455"]Good choices, although isn't "Ain't Talking..." Eddie using the Phase 90?

There's seems to be some debate when I googled it just now, I've always thought it was flange but could be phase, anyone else know for sure?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    Good choices, although isn't "Ain't Talking..." Eddie using the Phase 90? Unchained is the song that pops into my head when thinking about Flangers. 

Message in a Bottle is another for the flanger/chorus type thing (iirc it was a flanger).
    That's what I thought for VH.

And agreed about message in a bottle.
  • Octavia: Jimi Hendrix - Fire

Phaser: Led Zep - The Rover

Whammy: RATM - Killing In The Name

Rotating Speaker: Pink Floyd - Shine On

Chorus: Metallica - Sanitarium  or Rush - Spirit Of The Radio (Not sure which)

Wah: Besides Voodoo Chile being the obvious one, then GnR - Sweet Child Of Mine

Delay: Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Just read somewhere that the muted part of the riff is with the Phase 90 then the adds the flanger for that last unmuted double note. Tricky bugger that Eddie.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    not_the_dj;133483" said:
    Just read somewhere that the muted part of the riff is with the Phase 90 then the adds the flanger for that last unmuted double note. Tricky bugger that Eddie.
    That suddenly makes a lot of sense, although wouldn't fancy tap dancing that one out!

I thought the muted bit had nothing, the unmuted bit was flanger.

Anyhoo, I play it with a Phase 90 all the way through. Cos I'm like that*. Yeah. Sounds best (closest to the original) to me if the phaser/flanger is before the dirt........

*read can't be arsed to switch the pedal on for a tiny bit, and off again....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Delay: Welcome to the Jungle
    Leslie: Couldn't Stand the Weather
    Phase/Flange: Are You Gonna Go My Way?
    Whammy: Marooned (Gilmour on The Division Bell)
    Wah: White Room
    Chorus: Mellowship Slinky in B Major (not an obvious one from the Chillis but this is a great use of the effect for me)
  • mike_l said:
    I'd have said SCoM for Wah. Although Voodoo Chile is a good call.
    Yeah.... no.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Purple rain - chorus. Too awesome to be cheesy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Tremolo - How Soon is Now : The Smiths
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    Without actually going and listening to it What I Am by the New Bohemians for auto wah.

Almost any Dick Dale for spring reverb ( it isn't present on his first single but pretty much everything after).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Deijavoo said:
    Bloody hell...I was racking my brains trying to think of a definitive tremolo. How could I not think of that?
    Deijavoo said:
    Bloody hell...I was racking my brains trying to think of a definitive tremolo. How could I not think of that?

taste? :(|)

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    edited January 2014
    Without actually going and listening to it What I Am by the New Bohemians for auto wah.

Almost any Dick Dale for spring reverb ( it isn't present on his first single but pretty much everything after).
    Auto wah - Good man ETW on Edie Brickell's "What I am" and add Odysseys'  "Going back to my roots" too for another goodie with a dirtier tone. C'mon guys, find me a late 70s, vintage MXR Envelope Filter, which I believe is what was used on these tracks. Somebody's gotta have one here!
    Talk Box - Steely Dan's "Haitian Divorce" is my fave but you could have Frampton, Joe Walsh or Sambora too
    Modulation - Anything by Andy Summers
    Chorus - On the Cyndi Lauper tracks "Time after time" and "Girls just wanna have fun"and Nirvana's "Come as you are".
    Delays - Gilmour and The Edge for the rhythmic stuff. The LA crowd, Lukather, Schon, Landau for the "arena solo delay"
    Tape Multi-Tap delay - Hank Marvin!!!!!
    Phaser, Flanger & ADT - EVH on the tracks already mentioned and don't forget the ADT on "Ain't talkin' bout love". Ernie Isley's use of a phaser too was pretty up front on his sound.
    AdrenaLinn - John Mayer's "I don't trust myself" and few others of his and Green Day's "Boulevard of broken dreams"
    Wah - Hendrix (Voodoo chile and others), Santana (Moonflower period), Thin Lizzy boys (Robertson, Gorham and Moore)
    Guitar synth - Pat Metheny's "Are you going with me"
    Harmonizer - Trevor Rabin on "Owner of a lonely heart", the end runs of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and the solo on "Together in electric dreams" (this one could be an octaver). Good use of an octaver on Pino Palladino's bass sound on "Tear your playhouse down". Oh, and the Eventide harmonizer on Vai's "Ballerina 12/24"
    Whammy - Rage against the Machine's "Killing in the name of" and the Vai Passion & Warfare stuff
    Fuzz - "Girl like you" Edwyn Collins & "Satisfaction"
    Zoom duck wah - Cardigan's "Favourite Game" - I had a Zoom unit and it had this duck sound preset and it sounds just like the one on the solo themes of this
    Tremolo and harmonizer - "How soon is now
  • Adding for Phaser Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs.
    Delay Gilmour on the whole of the Wall album, especially Run Like Hell and Another Brick

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Chorus: Back on the Chain Gang- Pretenders (don't forget what an influence James Honeyman Scott's sound was on Master J Marr)

Wah: Slash on  Mr Brownstone and John Squire on Fools Gold were my first proper encounters with the effect. 

Reverb: Peter Green back in his glory days. Any live recording shows this off. 

Slapback Echo: Richard Thompson when he solos. 

Long Delay: Gilmour, "Run Like Hell". 

Multi tap delay: Hank. 

Flanger/ Chorus/ everything but the kitchen sink: the intro to Fire Woman. Whatever Billy Duffy was on I want some. 

'Ambient' guitar based on reverbs/ echoes and mods: Vini Reilly of the Durutti Column. I still can't work out what a lot of his Strat is going through half the time. 

Leslie: Clapton on Badge. 

Fuzz: Yardbirds/ Led Zep I era Page. Tonebenders rule. 

Volume pedal swells (is this stretching it a bit?!) John Martyn (I'm thinking of Small Hours and Hurt in Your Heart). 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372

One of the defining artists for magnatone style vibrato. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Echoplex - John Martin