Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Defining Tracks for Effects

What's Hot

Comments

• Fuzz Factory - muse, new born.

Also one of the only bands I've heard who put an octave pedal in the loop of a delay pedal (hysteria solo).

Map of the problematique has a zvex step tremolo I think, but I stand to be corrected, and sounds really cool.

I always thought, although he's known for phaser, the ain't talking about love thing was a flanger.

Big sur moon for dotted 8ths.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    UniVibe Robin Trower Bridge Of Sighs
  • I wouldn't say it was definitive in the wider scheme of things, but for me personally the flanger is forever linked with The Holy Bible by the Manics - that faster, chorus-y, almost rotating-speaker-cab-ish sound.

Also the start of Ghostdancing by Simple Minds is one I always come back to whenever I get that flanger-plus-delay itch.
    (I'm not even that sure what modulation effect it IS, but I'll say flanger for now)

Bad by U2 is a seminal delay moment for me, too. Can't recreate it for toffee meself, but I do believe there are two delays involved, so that would explain why I can't nail it with one.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    /\ Bad, that's the one I had in my head when I wrote Exit in my post above.
  • I think "The Edge's entire career" would do as a defining moment for delay, to be fair

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1843
    I think that The Theme From Shaft definitely deserves a mention as a definitive use of the wah pedal.  It pretty much defines that wacka wacka sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Long delay for me would be Brian May's Brighton Rock solo.

Not really a huge fan of it (a huuuuuge slow solo in the middle of an otherwise epic fast Rock song..) but still, it's an iconic moment, and with stereo panning of two amps it must sound immense when you're actually in a room with him playing it

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Flanger -- "A Forest" by The Cure.   (Pretty much all of the album Seventeen Seconds being an homage to the flanger I'd say.) 

Wah -- pretty much anything live by Michael Schenker, let's go with "Rock Bottom" by UFO

Echo -- without doubt my fave!  Lee Perry's production on the album "Heart of the Congos" by The Congos.  Everything on that album is touched with it, it's so musical, goes from foreground to background and outer space and back.  Genius.  Here's an example:

• Surely Hendrix - Machine Gun is the defining univibe song, predates Bridge of Sighs by 4 years according to some quick googling

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Wah - I'd suggest Joe Satriani - Is There Love In Space - it's the other side of Wah few people visit.
    Talk Box - Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way.
    Whammy - Jeniffer Battern - Whammy Damage - it has NEVER been used better.
    Chorus - Stone Roses - Bye Bye Badman.
    Oberheim VCF (think ooh wah) - Frank Zappa - Ship Ahoy.
    Flanger - Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of.. OR Audioslave - Cochise..
    Compressor - Mike Keneally - Live In Japan
    Auto-Wah - The Fellowship Of Funk - B.N.H
    Tremolo - Ronny Jordan - Theme From Underworld
    Looper - John Scofield - Uberjam.
    Delay -

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Flanger- Billy Duffy She Sells Sanctuary. Can't belive I missed this in the first post.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    the_jaffa said:
    I think that The Theme From Shaft definitely deserves a mention as a definitive use of the wah pedal.  It pretty much defines that wacka wacka sound.
    The late Skipp Pitts.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2014
    Delay: Echo song - Paul Gilbert
    Tremolo: How soon is now - The Smiths
    Fuzz: Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins
    Flanger: Barracuda - Heart

• PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

Flanger:  " Barracuda" Heart.  46 and 2  Tool.  Sleeping Beauty A Perfect Circle.

Reverb:  The James Bond Theme, the song "Wipeout"  Just about ANY surf or rockabilly.

Tremolo:  Born on a Bayou  CCR.

Phaser E5150  Black Sabbath.

• Flanger: De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da - The Police 
    Whammy: Touching Tongues - Vai
    Delay: Charlie - It Bites, HIna - David Lee Roth (both great examples of creative delay)
    Tremolo - Like A Stone - Audioslave
    Wah: Yankee Rose - David Lee Roth, Dirt - Alice In Chains
    OVF: Throw Away Your Television (solo) - RHCP
    Phaser: Atomic Punk - Van Halen

• ebow - we could be heroes - david bowie dod envelope filter - paranoid android - radiohead Big muff pi - smashing pumpkins, anything from Siamese dream Chorus - plush - stone temple pilots harmoniser - RATM - know your enemy univibe - jimi hendrix - star spangled banner
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093

sustainer guitar - With or without you

whammy pedal - last few Dave Gilmour albums

Looper - K T Tunstall

Ebow - Wishbone ash Just testing (I reckon)

• vizviz Frets: 10771
    Volume swells (using a Morley Little Alligator pedal: Steve Vai - Little Alligator

Double delay and pitch shift: Steve Vai - Ballerina Talk Box: Bon Jovi - Livin' on a prayer
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    edited January 2014
    Volume swells (using a Morley Little Alligator pedal: Steve Vai - Little Alligator

Double delay and pitch shift: Steve Vai - Ballerina

Talk Box: Bon Jovi - Livin' on a prayer
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Gay sons of lesbian lovers - looper and synth use.

Otherwise, good call for kt Tunstall @tonecontrol.

When it comes to wah, I always think of white room by cream, as well.

Pitch shift - through the fire and flames (lol such a tune) anyone?