When a blind man cries...

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Can any one help me with this tone please? Is it as simple as a Strat into a Marshall/Fender and that's it or is there more to it? Sorry if this is in the wrong place I didn't know where else to put it.

Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73087
    Strangely enough Blackmore used his old AC30 a lot in the studio, even after he'd switched to the Marshall Majors for live. I don't know for sure but it sounds more like that than a Marshall, to me.

There's also some high-quality studio compression and reverb on it, I think - there were no guitar effects to do those things back then anyway, apart from the Fender reverb unit which it doesn't sound like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 619
    Wonderful track & the solo is a thing of real beauty...simple but effective with emotion behind every note. Not sure how he got hat tone. Certainly could be the AC30...wonder if it is the strat or the red 335 he still had back then ?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11441
    Superb track. Should have been on Machine Head but according to the two Ians Blackmore didn't want it included. Machine Head's a brilliant album as it is, but adding this to it would have been the icing on the cake.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16410
    He used an old reel to reel tape recorder as a pre amp ( again, live don't know about studio). When I saw him this year he had a reel to reel sat on top of his amps, possibly a joke rather than actually used.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    ICBM said:
    Strangely enough Blackmore used his old AC30 a lot in the studio, even after he'd switched to the Marshall Majors for live. I don't know for sure but it sounds more like that than a Marshall, to me.

There's also some high-quality studio compression and reverb on it, I think - there were no guitar effects to do those things back then anyway, apart from the Fender reverb unit which it doesn't sound like.
    That would explain why I couldn't pick up on wether it's a Marshall or Fender if it's Vox haha! Thank you for your input, that helps a lot. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    edited October 2016
    Ironically, even though Blackmore played the track with wonderful feel, he hated it and refused to play it live.  However, whilst it was recorded in 1971 during the Machinehead sessions, and contrary to a lot of alternative views, I think it was the right decision not to put it on (the original) Machinehead.  In my view it simply didn't fit with the rest of the album.  It's a soulful but very slow track that's virtually a dirge, and had totally the wrong vibe for the album.  

Again, contrary to popular views (and I know DP play an extended version in their set which goes down very well with audiences, and it was added to the 40th anniversary set) I personally don't like the track either - I appreciate the soulful playing, but it's just too morbid and dirge-like and if it had been put on the album, I'd skip over it every time - and I'm a huge DP fan!  I'm aware this track has a huge following and I'll probably get castigated for my sacrilegious view - but there it is, for me it's right up there as one of the most over-rated and worst DP tracks. 

Sorry to sit on the fence!   :3 ;) 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14010
    Yes, sounds like an AC30 to me

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    The reason Machine Head is a classic is because you never needed to lift the needle - that song would've ruined it.

Regarding gear, it's definitely a Strat, but whatever the amp don't underestimate Blackmore's extremely delicate touch. Some of the pick upstrokes on those bends are sublime.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7353
    edited October 2016
    Blackmore used his AC30 live too actually - the bottom cab of his Marshall stack was empty save for a hot AC30!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Ironically, even though Blackmore played the track with wonderful feel, he hated it and refused to play it live.  However, whilst it was recorded in 1971 during the Machinehead sessions, and contrary to a lot of alternative views, I think it was the right decision not to put it on (the original) Machinehead.  In my view it simply didn't fit with the rest of the album.  It's a soulful but very slow track that's virtually a dirge, and had totally the wrong vibe for the album.  

Again, contrary to popular views (and I know DP play an extended version in their set which goes down very well with audiences, and it was added to the 40th anniversary set) I personally don't like the track either - I appreciate the soulful playing, but it's just too morbid and dirge-like and if it had been put on the album, I'd skip over it every time - and I'm a huge DP fan!  I'm aware this track has a huge following and I'll probably get castigated for my sacrilegious view - but there it is, for me it's right up there as one of the most over-rated and worst DP tracks. 

Sorry to sit on the fence!   :3 ;) 

I agree, nice playing but depressingly dirge like.
    Had me reaching for the razor blade.
    I don't get that at all. I think it's a beautiful song and a perfect way to close the album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    ICBM said:
    I don't get that at all. I think it's a beautiful song and a perfect way to close the album.
    Sure, and I respect that - each of us has different tastes and views.  It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things and had the same views wouldn't it.  ;)

Only thing I'd add, which is indisputable, is that Ritchie Blackmore, the man who played it, hated it too and agrees  with the 'no's'. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:

Only thing I'd add, which is indisputable, is that Ritchie Blackmore, the man who played it, hated it too and agrees  with the 'no's'. 
    That's true, but he apparently hated a lot the stuff he did anyway - in particular 'Woman From Tokyo' which is usually included on most Purple 'best-ofs'… so he may not be the best judge of his own work :).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    I don't know a lot of Deep Purple (Machinehead excepted) but I thought that was sublime, I'd never heard it before.  Tone-wise, in parts it sounds a bit like the tone Gilmour has on Wish You Where Here.
    edited October 2016
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:

That's true, but he apparently hated a lot the stuff he did anyway - in particular 'Woman From Tokyo' which is usually included on most Purple 'best-ofs'… so he may not be the best judge of his own work .
    Others he didn't like but not hated. But 'when a blind man cries' was the only one he hated so much that he point blank refused to play it live, ever.  And on that track I agree with him.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Blackmore was a loon anyway....ask the members of his then band. And even Rainbow members as well while your at it. Don't know how he bagged that sexy lady Candice he's married to now though. I'm sure its not just the money he has lol...
    Blackmore is not a loon...difficult, self opinionated, very focussed, etc yes...but not a loon. And he is a talented player. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11441
    Long live rug and roll!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    wether people like it or not or think it's depressing or dirge like isn't important, the tone on the other hand, is. So a thank you to those who have contributed to helping me understand the tone and a big old raspberry to the haters lol, it's a great song!
    siraxeman said:
    Blackmore was a loon anyway....ask the members of his then band. And even Rainbow members as well while your at it. Don't know how he bagged that sexy lady Candice he's married to now though. I'm sure its not just the money he has lol…
    It's the codpiece, clearly.