When a blind man cries...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    ICBM said:
    siraxeman said:
    Blackmore was a loon anyway....ask the members of his then band. And even Rainbow members as well while your at it. Don't know how he bagged that sexy lady Candice he's married to now though. I'm sure its not just the money he has lol…
    It's the codpiece, clearly.
    Clearly its because he has a good 'pick-up' line, magical fingers, great feel, and wonderful technique.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23699
    ICBM said:
    Voxman said:

Only thing I'd add, which is indisputable, is that Ritchie Blackmore, the man who played it, hated it too and agrees  with the 'no's'. 
    That's true, but he apparently hated a lot the stuff he did anyway - in particular 'Woman From Tokyo' which is usually included on most Purple 'best-ofs'… so he may not be the best judge of his own work :).
    If I remember right, on that Ritchie Blackmore Story documentary he said Street of Dreams was the "ultimate Rainbow song".... nice song, but by that stage of their career I wasn't even thinking of the band as Rainbow any more.

In the same film he seemed to be constantly contradicting himself about what musical direction(s) he'd wanted to follow as he fell out with various band members.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    I've often wondered on the gear myself for this, I've always found both the song and tone inspiring.

I wonder if it's even an amp, plugging into a board direct with a bit of polish can get a strat pretty close to that. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Voxman said:
    Blackmore is not a loon...difficult, self opinionated, very focussed, etc yes...but not a loon. And he is a talented player. 

I saw him in an interview saying how he enjoys sitting at the bottom of his garden talking to fairies. Meanwhile his dress attire was also more than a little suspect.  Oh yes Blackmore is a real loon alright. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Lemmy tells a great story about him on YouTube!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Image result for ritchie blackmore

Don't know why anyone would think he's a loon.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing vocals on that track too.  
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1217
    Pretty sure it's the Strat and AC30, given that's all he's supposed to have used on the Machine Head sessions. Not sure if it's the natural "hotel corridor" ambience or the top spec signal chain and outboard from the "Rolling Truck Stones Thing" mobile studio. The romantic in me would like to think it's the cold, Swiss, out-of-season reverberation.
    Some nice background info on the sessions here: https://darkerthanblue.wordpress.com/another-service-from-darker-than-blue-magazine/machine-head-1972-2012-pt-1/