Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Horror Films

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:
    Who likes them ?  I've never seen the appeal myself.  I find pleasure in all other genres and the associated emotive reactions they induce, but being scared is not something I find enjoyable.  That said, I liked Signs (Mel Gibson) and Jeepers Creepers 2, but overall, I think having the shit scared out of you is not high on my list of pleasurable activities.
    WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    boogieman said:
    Prefer old school Hammer type horror to the slasher style and gorefest modern stuff. My favourite ever horror film is the Pit and the Pendulum. 

I just love the genre. However, I loathe the gruesome s..t and gore. But I thoroughly enjoy the psychological thing. I loved "A Tale of 2 Sisters" (South Korea) or "The Blair Witch Project". I totally enjoyed -and recommend- "See Prang" (a Thai one). "Naboer" is one from Norway which got my eyes totally riveted on the TV. Then this is a pretty sophisticated one from Colombia or Spain (can't remember now) and it's called "La Cara Oculta". It just blew me away: a psychological thriller of a mind-blowing calibre.
    "The Pit and the Pendulum" is a majestic story by Poe. I highly recommend it. I saw the 1961 version some years back and thought that the movie was pretty different from the story, except for the final scene, which was good, or really good, taking into account it was shot so long ago. The story itself is supreme.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8089
    I really like some of the horror/thriller/action movies that have come out of the east.  

'OldBoy', 'The Man From Nowhere', and in particular 'I Saw The Devil' are excellent movies. 

Marlin. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1567
    Like creepy suspenseful ones every now and then but hate the twisted gore fest ones like Saw etc
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12491
    TheMarlin said:
    I really like some of the horror/thriller/action movies that have come out of the east.  

'OldBoy', 'The Man From Nowhere', and in particular 'I Saw The Devil' are excellent movies. 

Marlin. 
    Wisdom'd for Old Boy. Cracking film, really disturbing though. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    yes, love them. Recently watched the Conjuring and Conjuring 2 on a long haul flight. Jumped out of my seat a few times. very good the both of them.

I like a good possession film.
  • tone1 said:
    I prefer a clever thriller.
    Have you seen 'Gone Girl'?

one of the best thrillers ive seen for a while.
    I was a bit put off when i saw that Ben Affleck was in it, but it turned out to be a very clever film.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    edited October 2016
    I'm trying to learn to appreciate them. i prefer the more psychological ones. the 70s religious based ones (omen, exorcist, don't look now) although I have seen in the last few years and enjoyed the babadook and the vvitch.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6821
    TheMarlin said:
    I still think The Excorcist is still one of the best ever.  It still stands up today. 
    +1. 

What makes The Exorcist such a great film is that there is well thought out and composed narrative, screen-play and character development, add to that the amazing performances and you have a winner. I will pretty much watch anything that contains these essential ingredients, horror, comedy, thriller, action, mystery, whatever. If I can begin to understand the character's reasons for being who they are and doing what they do then it's going to draw me in and I'm willing to suspend disbelief and give up time to go on the journey...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    I love horror films.  The biggest times of the year for me are FrightFest over the August bank holiday weekend and the London Film Festival which, for the last few years at least, has included a decent helping of horror/fantasy/cult movies. That's what I do with my holiday time.

As far as I'm concerned you can hardly go wrong with a horror movie.  Some are brilliant, many are good (in a predictable sort of way), an awful lot are bad but still entertaining (in that same predictable sort of way).... but very few are boring.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Sitting up on a Friday night with my Dad for the BBC2 horror double headers in the 70's are memories I will forever treasure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27658
    edited October 2016
    The Exorcist is hilarious. And it really doesn't stand up any more...

I like some horror stuff but also prefer either more thrillery stuff or more schlocky light hearted fare.

REC is good (spanish, not the hollywood version)
    Let the Right One In was excellent (again, the Swedish version, not the 'mericky one)

At the other end of the scale I liked 30 Days Of Night a lot, and Cabin in the Woods is a classic (though as much a comedy as a horror).

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7869
    I like any that are actually good, will never watch for the sake of it. Some favourites:

It Follows
    The Shining
    The ring (US version by Gore Verbinski)
    Kill List
    The Descent
    The Pact

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    tone1 said:
    I prefer a clever thriller.
    Have you seen 'Gone Girl'?

one of the best thrillers ive seen for a while.
    I was a bit put off when i saw that Ben Affleck was in it, but it turned out to be a very clever film.
    I haven't seen a grown up film for about 10 years at the flics.. it's either BFG or something with chipmunks in the starring role..but I'll look out for it on TV :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I love horror films, until I need a piss at 3am....like fuck am I going through the house. 

Films like insidious 2 or woman in black scare me shitless at night 

I don't need no creepy women in my house at night ! 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I haven't found one worth the name since "The Crawling Eye"...  :#
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Yep, i thought 'The Conjuring' was one of the best horrors ive seen in a few years.
    Conjuring 2 was pretty good aswell i thought.

Im not a Horror fanatic, and 75% of horrors are garbage, but when they are done well theres nothing like it.
    The ability to truly scare somebody with film is fantastic, and i REALLY enjoy shitting my pants in front of the tv at night.
    As someone who likes horror films this makes me very sad.

Unless by best you mean a cynical vehical to put every single horror cliche into one film in alphabetical order, rendering even the jump scares so obvious that they no longer scare.

It had better production values than The Room or Troll 2... maybe that's what you mean by best?
  • It was the best horror ive seen in the last few years.
    I dont claim to be some sort of 'horror expert', but me, and my 2 eldest kids, watch a horror movie on the 'Raspberry pi' every couple of weeks.

cant comment on the other 2 you mentioned as i have not watched them.

please dont be sad.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    joeyowen said:
    I love horror films, until I need a piss at 3am....like fuck am I going through the house. 

Miso .... soup ;)

I really like the Hellraiser series. I really like Ringu, Juon, and a variety of Japanese horror movies. Audition is creepy as fuckkkkkk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8089
    Drew_TNBD said:
    joeyowen said:

Miso .... soup ;)

I really like the Hellraiser series. I really like Ringu, Juon, and a variety of Japanese horror movies. Audition is creepy as fuckkkkkk
    Loved Audition!!