Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Matching headstocks

What's Hot
martmart Frets: 5205
edited October 2016 in Guitar

Comments

• Somehow for a Tele (and Strat) it does not work for me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    No, looks wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27803
    I'm not a big fan, but they're usually only done on otherwise excellent models which then get blown out at low prices, so it's hardly the end of the world!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14828
    tFB Trader
    those surf colours on a Jag or Jazz look fine with a MHS but not on a Strat or Tele for me
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29187
    Need to see the whole instrument, but in general I'm not mad-keen on matching.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    My rule of thumb for a very long time has been "matching headstock on a strat or tele? NO WAY, yuk, horrid"

But, I've been seeing examples recently that I might consider owning. Even the example in the OP is a "maybe".

I dunno, I'm getting old, I probably need glasses... 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Each to their own, but not for me. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    I can't stand it. I don't know why but a tele or strat should be natural 
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 387
    edited October 2016

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I don't get matching head stocks myself. I'm probably just weird
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 387
    edited October 2016

But I love mine ... It's a surf colour, it's a strat ... it's  CS1960 relic.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    I think there's something very retro and vintage about a Strat with a matching headstock.  I love my 2010  limited Edition in Daphne blue - the matching headstock makes it very different in a nice way, and everyone who's seen it says it gorgeous - including my wife and daughters who normally think all my guitars look the same!  My Photobucket seems down at the moment, but here's a generic pic. 

Image result for fender stratocaster 2010 limited edition in daphne blue

Image result for fender stratocaster 2010 limited edition in daphne blue
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    Really like it.  The colours are generally beautiful which helps.  Not sure I'd go for black, but for those classic colours I think it works.
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    I have a strat with matching headstock I think matching headstock and body colour is OK might depend on the colour though. Here it is a very old picture but the only one handy. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Fez said:
    I have a strat with matching headstock I think matching headstock and body colour is OK might depend on the colour though. Here it is a very old picture but the only one handy. 
    Looks like a country and western band
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    I think you're right Fez re colour.  Seems to work well with the lighter colours, but perhaps less so with much darker colours.  But even then all down to taste.

My pet Fender hates are the antiguan Fender sunburst and tortoiseshell pick-guards, but there are plenty who love these.  If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world.  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I am like most of you - traditionalist luddites. Its because we're so accustomed to none matching bare wood faced headstocks. Had Fenders been matched from the beginning and suddenly now they was unpainted we'd be in uproar! It'd be like the Les Paul signature scrawl on the 2015 LPs....hideous to our eyes - so different its unacceptable. We're pre conditioned to expect certain things on certain established guitars and traditions and if they're changed we're not easily willing to accept the changes. Probably why Gibson haven't bothered to fix the dodgy headstock issue on all their guitars. Most other brands have painted headstocks. Some matching some not but often painted all the same. Fenders are usually 'nekkid' so we expect that. Some folks are more open to change. Thanks to companies like Ibanez we have things like AANJ instead of a big bulky neck joint/plate...innovation is a good thing but not for everyone...
  • Wood colour or black, works with pretty much everything.  Coloured looks ok on some white guitars, and most sparkle finish guitars, but other than that I'm not a big fan.
  • Matching headstocks rule

I even like the ibanez approach 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31155
    edited October 2016

@siraxeman

Word from Gibson HQ suggests they've been looking at innovation to solve their issues.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom