did Mark Knopfler rip off of Snowy White ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    edited November 2016
    We've had a thread on this before - there's a similarity between the middle eight of Brothers in Arms and Bird of Paradise - but they're not 'the same'.

The actual guitar sound is very different - trebly/both pick-ups on/out of phase from Snowy White into a clean(ish) amp - and dark neck pick-up into a much more driven JTM45 (with little treble) from MK.
    Putting aside the guitar tone I for one am staggered at the similarity - it's way more than just the middle 8!!  However, is the assumption that Bird in Paradise was written first actually correct?  Although the Brothers in Arms album came out in 1985, the Brothers in Arms song was written in 1982, the year of the Falklands war.  Bird of Paradise was written in 1983 and appeared on Snowy White's debut album in the same year.  

Nevertheless, although these songs are arguably close enough date wise for us not to be 100% sure which came first, the similarity and timing is just too great for this to be coincidence - one or other of the two must have heard the others song and (even if unintentionally & subconsciously) was influenced by it.   

And listen to this live version of Bird in Paradise - even some of the guitar licks are the same:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31154
    Here is Snowy telling the story of selling the Goldtop; RSI. Shame- he was a genius of a player- Gilmour's right hand man for a fair period too.

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/musical-instruments/electric-guitars/snowy-white-s-gibson-les-paul-standard-gold-solid-body-electric-guitar-serial-7-2916/a/7131-85049.s

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Rocker said:
    Nowhere on Bird of Paradise do I hear Brothers in Arms.  Both guitars have 6 strings probably tuned in a similar fashion.....
    The similarity was pointed out at the time IIRC, so not just internet muck-raking.

Just saying.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Not really relevant to the comparison but here you can find the Soul Music Bbc R4 for download.  The interesting part is over half way through.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p/episodes/downloads?page=2

Brothers in Arms sounds like it was inspired by Dylan's God On Our Side moved to a minor key. You can sing the words of one to the tune of the other.  (It also sounds a bit like a hymn when you hear the chords in the download above.) I haven't heard Bird of Paradise since it was on TOTP so I can't comment  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73087
    Gassage said:
    Snowy's Gold top sold for $93000.
    He might have got more if he'd cleaned it first...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Just been listening to 'BOP' and it's sounds honky in parts..is that just both pickups or is he Peter Green slightly out of phase or slightly cocked Wah?