Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar ads & my pet hate!!

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5114
    edited November 2016
    Nothing wrong with a good harmless rant from time to time and I totally agree with the OP. No need to 'chill out' at all in my opinion. I don't get too excited about it personally, I just think either the seller is stupid or they think everyone else is stupid, which is an insult.

Hang on, I'm getting a bit worked up about it now...  :s
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Where do 'closet classics' fit into all this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3533
    Mint relic. All dents and scratches done by a luthier, none done by buckles or punters.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'll tell you one that irritates me mind. 'Museum quality' or Museum Grade or variations thereof. Such a crap thing to say. Anyway, you get some absolute shite in museums.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3533
    dogload said:
    I'll tell you one that irritates me mind. 'Museum quality' or Museum Grade or variations thereof. Such a crap thing to say. Anyway, you get some absolute shite in museums.
    Most museum pieces are relic'ed af. I mean, some look like they've been buried for centuries or submerged in salty water for decades!
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    carlos said:
    dogload said:
    Most museum pieces are relic'ed af. I mean, some look like they've been buried for centuries or submerged in salty water for decades!
    I know, right!

Last time I was in the V&A, they had this bit of rubbish

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/yoma_press/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Y'see, I had to go and check my post in the classifieds to be sure I hadn't transgressed  :) Think I'm okay.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Voxman said:
    ...that's like having alcohol free beer...what's the point of that?!

Far less calories than normal beer! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    edited November 2016
    TonyR said:
    Voxman said:

Far less calories than normal beer!
    That is just soooo sad and so un-rock'n'roll for you to even think like that!! nope thumbsdownweepAre you sure you're a guitarist shredder- I mean, you're not a frustrated recorder, triangle or tambourine player are you? - or even worse, a drummer who's hiding out here? scratchin Dbiglol
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Maybe I'm being overly harsh, but I think some people need to learn about the English language!  

If a guitar is described as MINT or PRISTINE or IMMACULATE I expect it to be like new.  
    • The definition of MINT is:  "(of an object) in pristine condition; as new" 
    • The definition of Pristine is: in its original condition; unspoilt.
    • Immaculate: "spotless, free from fault or flaw"

I don't expect to then read on in the ad that it has some scratches, or dents, or slight buckle rash, or a chip or two.  Such guitars might be in excellent condition e.g. for their year ....but they are NOT mint!  

Here are some examples - hopefully you'll get my drift! 

• "Mint condition with only a light surface scratch on the back, frets have little to no wear". If its mint it should have no scratches and no fret wear!
    • " Pure mint condition, with only minimal signs of wear (very slight buckle rash and some very slight discolouration of gold hardware)". How can a mint guitar have any buckle rash or discolouration!
    • "Mint condition - "It is in 9/10 condition. There may be a tiny little mark on the back bottom." If it's MINT how can it be marked, and even the seller rates it only 9/10! 
    • "Absolutely mint condition for age, only some minor belt buckle scratches on the back of the guitar and one other minor scratch also on the reverse" Age doesn't come into it - it may be in excellent condition or even immaculate for its age, bit it's not MINT!"
    • "SUPER CLEAN, MINT CONDITION. The front of the body is in an exceptionally clean condition with some slight tarnish on the Nickel hardware. The back of the body also super clean with slight surface wear barely visible, nothing nasty as this guitar has been well looked after and clean throughout having been stored away for many years.  The neck is in great shape, smooth and straight with original frets having still plenty of life left in them." It (1970 SG) may be super clean for its year, but it's NOT mint!

Aaagh!! rant  dohwall

I fully agree mate, I'm of reading for sale adds thats clearly start with excellent/mint condition then followed by but an there's ding here or a search there also.

Also when they say all original but it's had its machineheads changed a long time ago.

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Voxman said:
    TonyR said:
    Voxman said:

Far less calories than normal beer!
    That is just soooo sad and so un-rock'n'roll for you to even think like that!! nope thumbsdownweepAre you sure you're a guitarist shredder- I mean, you're not a frustrated recorder, triangle or tambourine player are you? - or even worse, a drummer who's hiding out here? scratchin Dbiglol
    Nope definitely a (not particularly good!) guitarist, but a slimline one nevertheless! :) :) ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4773
    What amuses me/pisses me off, is people who post WTB ads and never, ever, respond when you have something that fits the bill exactly and you bring it to their attention.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    rlw said:
    What amuses me/pisses me off, is people who post WTB ads and never, ever, respond when you have something that fits the bill exactly and you bring it to their attention.
    Bit of a generalisation but aren't WTB adds just lazy anyway? The number of times you see WTB and on the same page a FS for the same item. Always strikes me as WTBs are posted when people can't be bothered to look around. Not surprised they are none responsive too, just too lazy.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Rowby1 said:
    rlw said:
    Bit of a generalisation but aren't WTB adds just lazy anyway? The number of times you see WTB and on the same page a FS for the same item. Always strikes me as WTBs are posted when people can't be bothered to look around. Not surprised they are none responsive too, just too lazy.
    I've posted a WTB for an Epiphone Sheraton recently. I've not seen one advertised for a long time - and the reason for the ad is twofold. Firstly it's the kind of thing someone on here might have lying around but not thought to sell it, and secondly I'd rather buy on here than eBay or gumtree. 

There's plenty out there but I wanted to try on here first. Not lazy - just part of the community.
    Rowby1 said:
    rlw said:
    I've posted a WTB for an Epiphone Sheraton recently. I've not seen one advertised for a long time - and the reason for the ad is twofold. Firstly it's the kind of thing someone on here might have lying around but not thought to sell it, and secondly I'd rather buy on here than eBay or gumtree. 

There's plenty out there but I wanted to try on here first. Not lazy - just part of the community.
    Great guitars.  I pondered offering you mine but then thought naaah.
    rlw said:
    Rowby1 said:
    rlw said:

Great guitars.  I pondered offering you mine but then thought naaah.
    Gah you can't dangle that in front of me and then whip it away like that ;)
    I'll put up the details when I get home tonight.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    I have an 89 Sherry too. Natural, case, with Seymour Duncan SH1 59'ers in.  About as near to a 335 as you can get without dropping £2k plus! Now and again, I think of selling it but then I take it out and play it, and I think 'nah its too good'.  Needless to say its mint immaculate pristine ....for its year!  :3
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Prick teasers ;)