Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar ads & my pet hate!!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    edited November 2016
    Prick teasers  ;)
    Sorry about that! To add insult to injury its September 1989 and made in the Sammick factory in Korea! ;) But look on the brightside - you wanted sunburst anyway:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/voxman5/ADVENT-PC/Pictures/Gear/Epiphone Sheraton II/P1000393_zps43155ea4.jpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    @Bridgehouse  That's why I said it's probably a generalisation, I'm sure there are some genuine people asking as you have, if any one has something a bit out the ordinary but some posts do appear to be people who just can't be bothered to look.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7767
    Voxman said:
    Maybe I'm being overly harsh, but I think some people need to learn about the English language!  

If a guitar is described as MINT or PRISTINE or IMMACULATE I expect it to be like new.  
    • The definition of MINT is:  "(of an object) in pristine condition; as new" 
    • The definition of Pristine is: in its original condition; unspoilt.
    • Immaculate: "spotless, free from fault or flaw"

I don't expect to then read on in the ad that it has some scratches, or dents, or slight buckle rash, or a chip or two.  Such guitars might be in excellent condition e.g. for their year ....but they are NOT mint!  

Here are some examples - hopefully you'll get my drift! 

• "Mint condition with only a light surface scratch on the back, frets have little to no wear". If its mint it should have no scratches and no fret wear!
    • " Pure mint condition, with only minimal signs of wear (very slight buckle rash and some very slight discolouration of gold hardware)". How can a mint guitar have any buckle rash or discolouration!
    • "Mint condition - "It is in 9/10 condition. There may be a tiny little mark on the back bottom." If it's MINT how can it be marked, and even the seller rates it only 9/10! 
    • "Absolutely mint condition for age, only some minor belt buckle scratches on the back of the guitar and one other minor scratch also on the reverse" Age doesn't come into it - it may be in excellent condition or even immaculate for its age, bit it's not MINT!"
    • "SUPER CLEAN, MINT CONDITION. The front of the body is in an exceptionally clean condition with some slight tarnish on the Nickel hardware. The back of the body also super clean with slight surface wear barely visible, nothing nasty as this guitar has been well looked after and clean throughout having been stored away for many years.  The neck is in great shape, smooth and straight with original frets having still plenty of life left in them." It (1970 SG) may be super clean for its year, but it's NOT mint!

Aaagh!! rant  dohwall  

Damn these people and their detailed descriptions helming you know exactly what you are getting. Fuckers. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4773
    Voxman said:
    Prick teasers  ;)
    Sorry about that! To add insult to injury its September 1989 and made in the Sammick factory in Korea! ;) But look on the brightside - you wanted sunburst anyway:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/voxman5/ADVENT-PC/Pictures/Gear/Epiphone Sheraton II/P1000393_zps43155ea4.jpg
    Sunburst sounds better 
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    rlw said:
    Sunburst sounds better 
    No, sunbursts sound artificial - mine is much more natural sounding!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    So this is turning into a Sheraton love-in. Should have kept my mouth shut
    edited November 2016
    So this is turning into a Sheraton love-in. Should have kept my mouth shut
    sofunnycensored
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4773
    OK, so mine is a sunburst 2005 Unsung factory model but clearly not as good sounding as a natural, although I think the extra colours add a level of texture that plain ones don't have.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    This still ain't getting me a good Sheraton ;)
  • This thread needs more emoticons...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    This thread needs more emoticons...
    You think so?hmm thewaveok, just for lil ol you then!  proudguitarrockon
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2399
    Nothing wrong with a good harmless rant from time to time and I totally agree with the OP. No need to 'chill out' at all in my opinion. I don't get too excited about it personally, I just think either the seller is stupid or they think everyone else is stupid, which is an insult.

Hang on, I'm getting a bit worked up about it now...  :s
    Agreed.

Kind of ironic that the people telling people not to get so worked about stuff that doesn't matter are seemingly, er, getting worked up about people getting worked up about stuff that doesn't matter.
    Dave_Mc said:
    Nothing wrong with a good harmless rant from time to time and I totally agree with the OP. No need to 'chill out' at all in my opinion. I don't get too excited about it personally, I just think either the seller is stupid or they think everyone else is stupid, which is an insult.

Hang on, I'm getting a bit worked up about it now...  :s
    Agreed.

Kind of ironic that the people telling people not to get so worked about stuff that doesn't matter are seemingly, er, getting worked up about people getting worked up about stuff that doesn't matter.
    Stop getting worked up about people getting worked up about those who are worked up at the worked up lot!

Or something... ;)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2399
    Exactly! :D