Guitar shops near Cheshire?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
I'm currently on holiday in Cheshire. Any shops I should check out whilst I'm in the area? I'm planning on visiting the little guitar shop in Birmingham on the way back.
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Amp Guitars in Macclesfield is a must for me every time i'm that way and Chris is an absolute gent. 

Sounds Great in Stockport also worth a look.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    Amp Guitars in Macclesfield is a must for me every time i'm that way and Chris is an absolute gent. 

Cheshire's a big place mate, where abouts are you? Also, not sure how long it's been since your last visit to Sounds Great @miserneil but it's a shadow of its former self these days. I live 15 miles away and would go...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Frailers in Runcorn - loads of second hand American guitars (acoustics in particular) at sensible money.

@Miserneil - not sure when you last visited SG? Stock is pretty mainstream these days.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24868
    edited November 2016
    badlydrawnbanjo said:
    @miserneil but it's a shadow of its former self these days. I live 15 miles away and would go...
    I was obviously posting the same thing at the same time!

I live about 6 miles away and - if I'm honest - wouldn't cross the road to go there now....
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    miserneil said:

Cheshire's a big place mate, where abouts are you? Also, not sure how long it's been since your last visit to Sounds Great @miserneil but it's a shadow of its former self these days. I live 15 miles away and would go...
    I'm near Whitchurch bud. For some reason staying in a Gypsy caravan.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3136
    Whitchurch is in Shropshire!

That being the case you are only an hour away from Mid Wales music in Newtown

(Whitchurch > Oswestry > Welshpool > Newtown)

Just leave your wallet in the car.

:-)

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    badlydrawnbanjo said:
    @miserneil but it's a shadow of its former self these days. I live 15 miles away and would go...
    I was obviously posting the same thing at the same time!

I live about 6 miles away and - if I'm honest - wouldn't cross the road to go there now....
    That's a wide road  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup, amp, frailers are your best options. 
    tFB Trader
    @badlydrawnbanjo @richardhomer Ah right! It was probably at least 2 years ago that I last went in there, they had a second hand Bad Cat I was looking at. More like Sounds Shite now then??
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24868
    edited November 2016
    miserneil said:
    @badlydrawnbanjo @richardhomer Ah right! It was probably at least 2 years ago that I last went in there, they had a second hand Bad Cat I was looking at. More like Sounds Shite now then??
    Honestly - it's like a privately owned (small) Dawson's - a 'Mom & Pop' store these days.....
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Honestly - it's like a privately owned (small) Dawson's - a 'Mom & Pop' store there's days.....
    ooooh dear.... 
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Yeh,when that lass used to sort of be in charge it was better.
    86' MIJ ri strat in Lake Placid Blue = £315
    Boogie Sudio pre amp = £525
    2nd hand JV Tele blonde = £250

Yeh,they were the days.......
  • Yeh,when that lass used to sort of be in charge it was better.
    86' MIJ ri strat in Lake Placid Blue = £315
    Boogie Sudio pre amp = £525
    2nd hand JV Tele blonde = £250

Yeh,they were the days.......
    That 'lass' was Tina - who was the owner's daughter and was married to Gary Sharpe who was the Managing Director. She was brilliant to deal with - though she left over 15 years ago and married Doug Chandler....

The last I heard she was a director in of Guitar XS, which distribute Collings in the U.K.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31155
    FFS: don't you dare refer to our wonderful home ground on which my mighty Shropshire defeated said northern monkeys Cheshire in my last full Minor County appearence in 2013 .....

:p

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12112
    miserneil said:
    Honestly - it's like a privately owned (small) Dawson's - a 'Mom & Pop' store these days.....
    yeah, who wants to look at a wall of Suhrs (etc), a pile of Suhr and Carr amps (etc),  and an acoustic room full of McIlroys and Martins, usually with some Santa Cruz guitars as well

;-)
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    Gassage said:
    FFS: don't you dare refer to our wonderful home ground on which my mighty Shropshire defeated said northern monkeys Cheshire in my last full Minor County appearence in 2013 .....

:p

Sorry my bad, I am actually in Tilston. Which i believe is in Cheshire. No offence intended. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2454
    blobb said:

Is this the worst website or what? 

http://www.midwalesmusic.co.uk/
  • miserneil said:
    yeah, who wants to look at a wall of Suhrs (etc), a pile of Suhr and Carr amps (etc),  and an acoustic room full of McIlroys and Martins, usually with some Santa Cruz guitars as well

;-)
    I remember going in once looking at acoustics with my wife and they had a great selection of women's interest magazines and a sofa in the waiting area
  • Strat54 said:
    blobb said:

Is this the worst website or what? 

http://www.midwalesmusic.co.uk/
    Bad website but good shop, in my hometown and where I got my first guitar. 

The facebook site is better https://www.facebook.com/midwalesmusic/
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12112
    miserneil said:

;-)
    and while I'm on it, each Dawsons is just a bunch of USA Gibsons and fenders, and a load of  midrange  guitars and amps. Definitely a scaled-up mom & pop