Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Reissue

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Rickenbacker acoustics.
    I felt that they were actually very average as acoustics... still, they looked cool !
    I played a couple that were fantastic. I could have got them at decent - though still expensive - prices through the shop I worked for at the time, but they were more than I could really afford, so I thought "I'll just wait until a second hand one comes up"… then of course they discontinued them and the second hand prices went up to well above the original new price. Doh.
    How much were the Rick acoustics when they were for sale? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16976
    Veganic said:
    Gibson Corvus.   Just to see if its time has come.
    I have always had an idea that it could work brilliantly as a headless, and after discussing this years ago on project guitar some people even made them.  I speculated that gibson possibly designed the shape to be headless originally but went cheap instead

I drew a few designs but never got around to making one

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    WezV said:
    Veganic said:
    I have always had an idea that it could work brilliantly as a headless, and after discussing this years ago on project guitar some people even made them.  I speculated that gibson possibly designed the shape to be headless originally but went cheap instead

That makes sense.  It looks a bit like one of those Kiesels? 

Much nicer.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    Rickenbacker acoustics.
    I felt that they were actually very average as acoustics... still, they looked cool !
    I played a couple that were fantastic. I could have got them at decent - though still expensive - prices through the shop I worked for at the time, but they were more than I could really afford, so I thought "I'll just wait until a second hand one comes up"… then of course they discontinued them and the second hand prices went up to well above the original new price. Doh.
    Dunno about new, but the only one I know of in the UK at the moment for sale is a 700/6 comstock and its £7k

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73087
    earwighoney said:

I could have had them for about two and a half grand I think - when a new Martin D28 or Gibson J45 was about a grand and a half… going from memory, I may be a bit out. They were not cheap though - but very much so compared to what they go for now as Bridgehouse said.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited November 2016
    Fender and either a Swinger/Musiclander/Arrow or Electric XII
    Stop crying, start buying
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I reckon if Squier released a limited version of the Swinger for under £300 they'd sell a boatload.

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/image_zpshvoziib5.jpeg

dindude said:

I reckon if Squier released a limited version of the Swinger for under £300 they'd sell a boatload.
    I doubt it - the 22.5" scale and skinny neck would be seriously offputting to most buyers. They might work with a 24"-scale neck though, possibly.

I've owned two of these, for what it's worth - both butchered by the same idiot, from the similarity of the damage… I believe a certain John Birch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 60th anniversary '57 LP Special. Proper fat neck not like the 60 neck profile Specials that Gibson CS have done in the past. And, since nobody has a black and white TV anymore (so TV yellow is out) and wine red is just awful, these 2017 Specials would be available in cool, bright colours. Dare I say it, maybe even some Fendery colours like lake placid blue, fiesta red, sea foam green etc.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

I could have had them for about two and a half grand I think - when a new Martin D28 or Gibson J45 was about a grand and a half… going from memory, I may be a bit out. They were not cheap though - but very much so compared to what they go for now as Bridgehouse said.
    Ironically, that's £7k for the one he doesn't want to keep - 2 others which have £offers (implying you need to slap a lot more than £7k down to tempt him)

I fear Rickenbacker would say "we've done the acoustic thing now so forget it" - more chance of Gibson reissuing the Sonex
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    ICBM said:
    dindude said:

I doubt it - the 22.5" scale and skinny neck would be seriously offputting to most buyers. They might work with a 24"-scale neck though, possibly.

I've owned two of these, for what it's worth - both butchered by the same idiot, from the similarity of the damage… I believe a certain John Birch.
    Yeah, I guess it would need be modernised, or rather "normalised" somewhat, and would obviously have a modern C neck as Fender arent really capable of anything else outside of the custom shop.
    60th anniversary '57 LP Special. Proper fat neck not like the 60 neck profile Specials that Gibson CS have done in the past.
    Curious how this has become so fashionable. I owned an original '57 LP Special, and the neck wasn't fat at all - it wasn't skinny, but it was nothing like what they call a '50s' neck now. Nor were any of the other three 50s Gibsons I've owned, nor most of the other ones I've played and worked on. I hate fat necks so I would definitely have noticed :).

• Fender Electric XII (and subsequently a Maverick/Custom).
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Travis Bean and those Kramer aluminium necked guitars with the forked peghead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Veganic said:
    WezV said:
    Veganic said:

That makes sense.  It looks a bit like one of those Kiesels? 

Much nicer.
    Well I drew that about 10 years ago, it's about the time Strandberg was doing his first prototype single string bridges....well before the recent resurgence in headless guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14828
    tFB Trader
    what about the Gibson Moderne ?

or can't you reissue a guitar that was never released ?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24868
    edited November 2016

Didn't Gibson do a run of these in the early 80s? I may have imagined this....

Edit: Just checked - I was right.

They already did a "reissue" in the 80's and an actual reissue in 2012 iirc.  And an epi version.

none look as good as mine ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

No, i remember this too somehow
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14828
    tFB Trader

Edit: Just checked - I was right.
    correct - but I don't think I've actually played one or seen one in the flesh - yet with no real interest in a V or Explorer I dare say a Moderne would leave me with similar feelings

Did Ibanez do one as well sometime in the past ? - which again is pretty rare