Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Show us your arty shots - CALENDAR CONTENDERS

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Get a calendar bought, you tight sods!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    usedtobe said:
    Wis'd
    :D

We don't actually ask for a lot in return for keeping the forum going.  

To put it into context, the profit that we make from the calendars won't even cover the hosting costs for a year - and we don't pay anything like standard hosting charges.

With our traffic volumes, we'd easily raise a lot more ££s by taking advertising and infesting the forum with banner ads, sidebar ads, pop-up ads, advertorial content, etc, etc.  And with that would doubtless come "management" of content so as not to piss off the money men.  

But we prefer to keep it ad & interference free.

We don't even ask for money-for-free.  We try to give you something (in this case, the calendar) in return for your financial support.  

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    TTony said:
    usedtobe said:
    Wis'd
    :D

We don't actually ask for a lot in return for keeping the forum going.  

To put it into context, the profit that we make from the calendars won't even cover the hosting costs for a year - and we don't pay anything like standard hosting charges.

With our traffic volumes, we'd easily raise a lot more ££s by taking advertising and infesting the forum with banner ads, sidebar ads, pop-up ads, advertorial content, etc, etc.  And with that would doubtless come "management" of content so as not to piss off the money men.  

But we prefer to keep it ad & interference free.

We don't even ask for money-for-free.  We try to give you something (in this case, the calendar) in return for your financial support.  

I know it's easy to ask and it can be difficult for some, but I'm very much in the 'do your bit' camp - given how much pleasure I get from the Fretboard.

As an encourager, and @TTony doesn't know this yet, but I'm going to pay for the P&P of the calendars out of my own pocket so all the profit goes back to the Fretboard PayPal account for hosting and stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @TTony doesn't know this yet
    He does now - and he's very grateful for your generosity.

TBH, we wouldn't be doing the calendars at all this year without you stepping in as there's no way I could have done the admin, so you've already helped hugely in getting these done.

Thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I feel bad for only buying one now... :( If I wasn't skint I'd buy them for all my family as Crimbo prezzies!
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Nikko said:
    I feel bad for only buying one now... :( If I wasn't skint I'd buy them for all my family as Crimbo prezzies!
    Not at all @Nikko, if everybody who used the forum "only" bought one, I'd have to put another *VERY* big order in for a reprint!

One is enough.  None isn't.
    Nikko said:
    It might sound like a guilt trip - but if people are skint then they are skint. I know it's a low priority when you have to pay the rent/mortgage and put food on the table.. I was really aiming at those who have more money than sense ;)
    Wasn't meaning to have a go at anyone, btw! Maybe should have added a smiley.. :)
    I know some folks are less flush than others..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited November 2016
    Oops, ignore! 
    Well well, sufficient orders received for me to reveal the January winner.....

Tadaa!

Remember - I want 3 more than my current total before Mr February gets posted!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Orders have shot up today! Brilliant job.

February can now be revealed:

Usual rules - want to see March? At least 3 more orders before it can happen!
  • @TTony you do offer a free advertising and sales platform for a lot of dealers/builders. 
    Why don't you charge these guys a small subscription? I'm certain this forum has driven a lot of sales for many of said dealers/builders seems only fair. (Or at minimum they should buy a calendar) 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @TTony you do offer a free advertising and sales platform for a lot of dealers/builders. 
    Why don't you charge these guys a small subscription? I'm certain this forum has driven a lot of sales for many of said dealers/builders seems only fair. (Or at minimum they should buy a calendar) 
    *most* of our small business members already support the forum.  Maybe not with direct financial donations, but @thorpyfx (for example) has donated compo prizes that have raised far more ££s than anyone would reasonably have donated.  Others are active members of the community, posting content that has a value in itself, or posting forum-special deals (mr g4u) that have probably benefitted forum members more than themselves.

We're also aware that taking  payments from businesses opens us to them requesting more favourable treatment.  Not saying that they *would*, but if we became reliant on their funding. It'd be a risk.  Imagine if Andertons had supported us financially, and then seen some of the Chappers comments ... 

Imagine the cries of of censorship (etc) if we'd started deleting comments and coolering people to protect that revenue ...

But deciding not to pursue those opportunities has a cost.  

Hence we try to raise funds internally - from those who value our reasonably light moderation, or who choose to benefit from free Classifieds, or have received a lot of (free) advice, but still need a prompt to donate, or a "something" in return for their support.

I'd hope that it'd get easier with time, as people recognised the value that they get and felt more willing to support us.

But it's certainly not getting any easier.  We'd raise more money sat with an old dog in a shop doorway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 1018
    Orders have shot up today! Brilliant job.

February can now be revealed:

Usual rules - want to see March? At least 3 more orders before it can happen!
    That's mine..!!...and my birth month...thank you...well chuffed :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    Interesting reading your thoughts @TTony ;;

I guess what us members need to realise is when it really does become too hard and you guys get fed up with it, then this place disappears.. and that really would be a shame...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    edited December 2016
    @TTony fair point mate. It is tricky

Kudos to @ThorpyFX for give aways and what not. Lets hope some of the others follow suit
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I'd happily buy one - but don't have (or want) a PayPal account. Would those in charge consider alternative payment methods?
    I'd happily buy one - but don't have (or want) a PayPal account. Would those in charge consider alternative payment methods?
    PM'd
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    @TTony have you thought about offering some kind of 'premium' membership which is optional for forumers to purchase? 

For example for £10 a year you can have a 'premium member' title or something with some other small perks that wouldn't cost money to implement?

I've learned a great deal in my very short time here and everyone I've dealt with on a personal level that I've been in contact with via this forum have been top guys. 

I'm hardly flush but I know I'd do my bit. Hell I've had more than £10 worth of advice just this week from this forum. 
    Just go with the dog idea. Everyone loves dogs!

;) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom