Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The worst thing that could have happened, has happened (and then I put down a deposit)

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1400
    I reckon 1500 is the actual I-will-pay-you-right-now price but, I just don't see it happening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The first time I went to Seattle (in 2007) I visited a great shop called Trading Musician. They had a 1966 Dakota Red Mustang which was exactly one week older than me, at $1499. That was when there was almost $1.9 to the pound. I really wish I'd bought it, but just didn't have the spare cash. Mostly as I'd spent the money getting there!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3703
    bbill335 said:
    I reckon 1500 is the actual I-will-pay-you-right-now price but, I just don't see it happening.
    That's a shame, especially when you find your dream guitar at a not too bad price. :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    Crazy isn't it - the Mustangs were Fender's 'student' guitars and there was a time you couldn't give these away!
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    edited November 2016
    I bought one for about £600 (I think) a few years back, either on here or MR. Was a 65 or 66.

Anyway, the necks are pretty decent, but they are massively inferior guitars to Strats and Tele's. I found the pickups to be fairly poor, and that has been the same on other ones have tried from this era. Maybe something to have as a quirky guitar, but do not have the balls tonally to be a main guitar imo.

They do feel like Student guitars to me, in a way that the old Gibson 'student guitars' don't. No way worth this sort of money anyway. Personal opinion of course.
  • Voxman said:
    Crazy isn't it - the Mustangs were Fender's 'student' guitars and there was a time you couldn't give these away!

they were similar to the gibson Jr's and look at the stupid money poeple now pay for them,  it's beyond me

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Voxman said:

they were similar to the gibson Jr's and look at the stupid money poeple now pay for them,  it's beyond me

I think where a 'student' guitar was made in the same factory as the 'pro' models and used the same components and pickups etc. Then they can be every bit as good as the expensive stuff (like Gibson LP juniors) - but when they had different components or pups or were outsourced for manufacture then they can be quite different..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73087
    I think the difference between the Gibson student models and the Fenders is that the Gibsons were cosmetically stripped-down but very similar in terms of dimensions - scale length and body thickness - whereas the Fenders were more similar to the top models cosmetically but had shorter scales and thinner bodies, so they feel somewhat more toy-like if you're used to a Strat or a Tele, and sound thinner and less powerful.

That said I still think you can get some great sounds from a short-scale Fender. I've owned almost all the models - including the Swinger, although not the 50s versions of the Musicmaster and Duo-Sonic - and I probably should have kept them...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1753
    edited November 2016
    Voxman said:

I think where a 'student' guitar was made in the same factory as the 'pro' models and used the same components and pickups etc. Then they can be every bit as good as the expensive stuff (like Gibson LP juniors) - but when they had different components or pups or were outsourced for manufacture then they can be quite different..
    It's mostly to do with the obsession of 50s les pauls and give that most people can't afford a proper les paul the Jr's have become the 2nd best thing and that's what driven the prices up. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:

It's mostly to do with the obsession of 50s les pauls and give that most people can't afford a proper les paul the Jr's have become the 2nd best thing and that's what driven the prices up. 
    You're more than welcome to come round and try my Special - although it was sold as a Student model I really don't think it is - having said that a student model is probably too good for me ;)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4773
    Compromise - buy my upgraded Squier - sonic blue and white scratchplate.  Save £XXXX ;)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    edited November 2016
    Voxman said:

You're more than welcome to come round and try my Special - although it was sold as a Student model I really don't think it is - having said that a student model is probably too good for me
    Ive played plenty but thanks for your offer.  We have an old fender musicmaster n same again sold as a student guitar but it's a loverly little guitar. 
    @musicman100 I've always had a bit of secret GAS for a late 50s musicmaster.. It would have to be longer scale I think but I do like them..
    edited November 2016
    @musicman100 I've always had a bit of secret GAS for a late 50s musicmaster.. It would have to be longer scale I think but I do like them..

I prefer them to the gibson Jr's and in comparison to the gibson Jr's they are dirt cheap
    Well, they took my 2015 MIJ MG73 as a deposit, now I have to raise the rest of the funds.

When I thought about how much of my other shit I would gladly get rid of to pay for this, and how close I can (hopefully) get by clearing out, it makes sense.

A big part of me is still 12 years old, with an Epiphone SG but playing my dad's 94 USA Strat thinking "I guess this is as good as it gets". I never thought I would even see something as special to me as this Mustang, let alone have the opportunity to buy it.

A lot of awful shit has happened to me this year, and consolidating a lot of my music clutter into one excellent instrument, a good amp and a few decent pedals feels right, regardless of price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:
    Well, they took my 2015 MIJ MG73 as a deposit, now I have to raise the rest of the funds.

When I thought about how much of my other shit I would gladly get rid of to pay for this, and how close I can (hopefully) get by clearing out, it makes sense.

A big part of me is still 12 years old, with an Epiphone SG but playing my dad's 94 USA Strat thinking "I guess this is as good as it gets". I never thought I would even see something as special to me as this Mustang, let alone have the opportunity to buy it.

A lot of awful shit has happened to me this year, and consolidating a lot of my music clutter into one excellent instrument, a good amp and a few decent pedals feels right, regardless of price.
    Get that other stuff in the Classifieds and do it. There really is no feeling like getting a guitar that you have always wanted. 
    bbill335 said:

Get that other stuff in the Classifieds and do it. There really is no feeling like getting a guitar that you have always wanted. 
    Expect a lot of FS threads in the near future.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:
    bbill335 said:

Expect a lot of FS threads in the near future.
    Good man. Don't forget to mention its for your mustang fund - nowt better than tugging on the old heart strings ;)
    Good man. Don't forget to mention its for your mustang fund - nowt better than tugging on the old heart strings ;)
    Man, I could write the sobbiest sob-story thread if it meant better prices for my old gear!
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3703
    bbill335 said:

Huzzah!

Sounded like a bit of a sad story of unrequited love on this thread when I went out this morning only to come back and find it's all on!

Well done, lovely to get something you have always wanted.