Slides

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2660
Can anyone point me towards a decent guitar slide? I need a slide with a bit of bite on the strings because I use it for droney things rather than traditional slide guitar. I guess I could just get a bit of pipe from B&Q.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    A lot of the Cigar Box guys use sockets. Otherwise Diamond make some beautiful things that are worth looking at :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2660
    Need a wide slide so I can cover all strings at same time. Maybe a spark plug socket would do the trick.
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    I use a spark plug socket-you might find a bit heavy, but works for me.  Surprisingly difficult to get a bit brass piping that's the right width.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4814
    edited November 2016
    I have four slides: brass, chrome plated steel, and 2 glass - one bonafide made from the thick glass of an actual bottle neck, the other a much thinner bought glass slide.

Each has their own tone. My favourite is the real bottleneck which is both sweet and ballsey but I also like the two metal slides when I want something a little rawer.  For what you're describing I'd suggest a brass slide with a bit of weight to it. 

For the last part of this vid from 8:27 I was using the brass slide.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I have a Rockslide Brass slide which is superb, it has a nice taper and cut out which makes it really easy to hold.  

I'd recommend picking up the glass version if you are looking to use it primarily with electric guitar (I prefer glass for electric, brass for acoustic) 
    Like the look of the satin brass Rock Slide - that's what I'm after - something with a bit of bite and growl.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited November 2016
    I use a slide for a similar kinda thing - ambient drones with loads of reverb and the odd violin impression

I really like these as they're a bit heavier than most metal or glass slides I've tried - http://www.starsingerslides.com/
    Stop crying, start buying
    Moss said:
    I use a slide for a similar kinda thing - ambient drones with loads of reverb and the odd violin impression

I really like these as they're a bit heavier than most metal or glass slides I've tried - http://www.starsingerslides.com/
    They look interesting, are they heavy enough to get the strings vibrating without any picking?
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Getting into slide playing is a slippery slope, I bought my first brass one then decided I wanted something a bit warmer so went glass/Pyrex and ended up with porcelain, I now own about seven slides! Of course it could just be me but I found it very addictive.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't think I'll ever approach proper slide playing, however I do know from previous experiments that not all slides are equal and I've lost the one I liked!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    A little bit of inspiration 

Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • I prefer the tone of glass over metal ones. Dunlop do a decent heavy glass one for not much money.

Whatever material you choose - make sure it's a decent weight. Thin/light slides of any type sound awful.
  • My favourites for metal slides are these, especially for resonators:

http://www.daddyslide.de/index.php/en/

And for glass, these are unbeatable:

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/Main.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5341
    My favourites for metal slides are these, especially for resonators:

http://www.daddyslide.de/index.php/en/

And for glass, these are unbeatable:

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/Main.html
    well said that man....dont dick about with any others just go to the above get one of each and be done with it
  • +1 for diamond bottlenecks, top slides. 

You will buy loads though like @zepp76 says, although he only has 7 so he's not really started yet ;) 
  • milambermilamber Frets: 118
    Another +1 for Diamond. Great company to deal with. I also use a chrome socket. If you find a spark plug socket too big, as I do, then an extended set will have the normal sockets at a longer length which work perfectly. I find copper pipe far too thin to get a decent sound. There's a seller on eBay who makes and sells beer bottle bottlenecks for around £4 posted if you search. Also great to deal with
  • Working in a lab also gives me access to glass "pill bottles" which are excellent, but can get sweaty after a while.

The only bought slide I use is a Joe Perry Boneyard ceramic slide. It's huge, but light & comfortable. Sounds great too. 

I'll check some of these out. In the past I've found glass too smooth to get the strings vibrating.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    A good thick walled heavy ceramic slide.
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    By ambient drones do you mean like the Glissando technique developed by Daevid Allen (Gong, Soft Machine, University of Errors) also used by Steve Hillage and Steffe Sharpstrings (Here & Now Band. Planet Gong band). This is achieved with a long slim stainless steel implement. Legend has it that Daevid originally used a gynalogical implement that he acquired in a French flea market. I find the Kahler tremelo arms work really well. Back on topic if you want to use a normal tubular slide I would go for brass, even the polished ones soon rough up in use.
    Don't touch that dial.