Slides

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    +1 for diamond bottlenecks, top slides. 

You will buy loads though like @zepp76 says, although he only has 7 so he's not really started yet ;) 
    @edenfield99  Give me time old bean, give me time! 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2016
    I've had loads but my fav was one I made from some 22mm copper water pipe. The cooper was quite 'grabby' on the strings which made for a really dirty sound without a lot of sustain, which was great with a big scoop of gain. But it was rubbish on an acoustic for the same reasons  

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    It's quite fun making your own slides too. I've made them out of all kinds of bottles. My favourite is probably the one I made from a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and Lea & Perrins sauce bottles make decent slides that fit my little finger perfectly. Just be careful, glass can be a bastard if you're reckless with it.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2660
    Fez said:
    By ambient drones do you mean like the Glissando technique developed by Daevid Allen (Gong, Soft Machine, University of Errors) also used by Steve Hillage and Steffe Sharpstrings (Here & Now Band. Planet Gong band). This is achieved with a long slim stainless steel implement. Legend has it that Daevid originally used a gynalogical implement that he acquired in a French flea market. I find the Kahler tremelo arms work really well. Back on topic if you want to use a normal tubular slide I would go for brass, even the polished ones soon rough up in use.
    Yes, Just found this clip which illustrates what I'm talking about nicely.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12118
    ceramic ones have a different tone too

I prefer playing  lap-style with big heavy metal slides though
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4814
    As I recall, I did this one with a chromed steel slide:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    If Glissando is what you are after then a long slim stainless steel item is what you want then you have the option of a long bowing action or shorter. There are some other elements to Glissando a delay pedal is pretty much essential Phase and flange are also good with slow sweeps, wah wah can be good. Daevid  Allen also had other wimsical names for it like "Aluminium croon guitar" Although the founder members of Gong  Daevid Allen & Gilli Smythe are sadly gone from this plane of existence the band continues and have just released "Rejoice I'm Dead" so the gliss continues. Also if you are not familiar with Gong check out "Camembert Electrique" & "2032".
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah. Think I'm going to try one of the star singer ones.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    ewal said:
    Fez said:
    By ambient drones do you mean like the Glissando technique developed by Daevid Allen (Gong, Soft Machine, University of Errors) also used by Steve Hillage and Steffe Sharpstrings (Here & Now Band. Planet Gong band). This is achieved with a long slim stainless steel implement. Legend has it that Daevid originally used a gynalogical implement that he acquired in a French flea market. I find the Kahler tremelo arms work really well. Back on topic if you want to use a normal tubular slide I would go for brass, even the polished ones soon rough up in use.
    Yes, Just found this clip which illustrates what I'm talking about nicely.

Couldn't for the life of me understand what the woman in the chair was for.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And thanks for the glissando heads up @Fez . I will try other things but i like a slide for some effects. In the old days I used to use the back of a vinyl record cleaner! Very effective but covered the strings in plastic... I do droney stuff with a couple of delays and a DittoX2 looper. Another band from more recent times who use glissando techniques effectively are Godspeed You Black Emperor.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
    I have a Joe Perry Ceramic slide and a Bonerz real bone slide made from a piece of bone recycled from a dead cow thigh, apparently. Both great but I prefer the dead cow thing tonally. 
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    I will have to check out Godspeed You Black Emperor.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • merlin said:
    I have a Joe Perry Ceramic slide and a Bonerz real bone slide made from a piece of bone recycled from a dead cow thigh, apparently. Both great but I prefer the dead cow thing tonally. 
    Have you tried the Joe Bonamassa Signature Ivory model?

That's in another league, tonally....
    Fez said:
    I will have to check out Godspeed You Black Emperor.
    About 9 mins into this - a excellent example: