Anyone know what guitar this is?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    There is a brand called 'American Archtop' that has a very similar logo but they don't usually make that sort of guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    There is a brand called 'American Archtop' that has a very similar logo but they don't usually make that sort of guitar.
    Yeah it is a strange one isnt it, i thought it may be a jap made thing
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited November 2016
    @Sarge might know ?

EDIT:
    I would be very surprised if @HarrySeven didn't have some idea as well !
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4814
    Hmm - the body looked a bit like a Kramer, but not the headstock.  Is it a production guitar or could it have been bespoke made?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Could it be an Atlantsia? 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14847
    tFB Trader
    Got me on that one

That jam sandwich vibe of the body is reminiscent of an 80's period and the likes of Matsumoku and others - yet also a touch of Warwick basses in the styling - again 80's styling with the brass parts and p/ups surrounds etc - but brand wise ????
  • Yeah thanks guys, im stuck on this one too, hes got a couple of old burns too and a 60s strat as well he will be selling but this one i have no idea on!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Austin Allegro
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    A bit leftfield but could it be Alister Atkin? I'm sure he made electrics alongside acoustics when he started and the flourishing 'A' is still used.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    edited November 2016
    It's an extremely rare Atilla Balogh Odyssey - made in Canada in the 1970s.

I recognised the design straight away but not the logo - most had the 'O' inlaid symbol - my first thought was that it was a Japanese copy of one. I didn't even know there were any with that AA logo until I did a Google image search on 'odyssey guitar' and saw this…

http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/atilla-balogh-odyssey-bass-two-more.html

I have no idea how much it's worth, but Odysseys were very well made so I'd imagine it's a good guitar, although a bit 'of its time' by modern standards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    It's an extremely rare Atilla Balogh Odyssey - made in Canada in the 1970s.

I recognised the design straight away but not the logo - most had the 'O' inlaid symbol - my first thought was that it was a Japanese copy of one. I didn't even know there were any with that AA logo until I did a Google image search on 'odyssey guitar' and saw this...

I have no idea how much it's worth, but Odysseys were very well made so I'd imagine it's a good guitar, although a bit 'of its time' by modern standards.
    wow cheers for that ICBM, i knew someone would know!any rough idea of value anyone?
    I have no real idea, sorry. I last saw one about thirty years ago! At which point they were worth as much as a typical common second hand Gibson eg a Les Paul Deluxe, but I doubt that's still true. Or they may have an extreme cult following and be worth a fortune…

It may be worth trying to contact the chap with that blog, he may know more. It's UK-based and appears to be current. He may even want it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    @ICBM just had an e-mail tip off about these that confirmed your comments and additionally it turns out that Jimmy Grant was part of the import team - so your neck of the woods if that sheds any additional light
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28050
    ICBM said:
    It may be worth trying to contact the chap with that blog, he may know more. It's UK-based and appears to be current. He may even want it!
    I get a lot of similar emails via my kawaiguitars site - "I've got this, what is it, what's it worth".  I've managed to acquire a few guitars that way, so definitely worth contacting the blog guy.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    @ICBM just had an e-mail tip off about these that confirmed your comments and additionally it turns out that Jimmy Grant was part of the import team - so your neck of the woods if that sheds any additional light
    That makes sense - I've seen three of them, two basses and a guitar. Given the low overall numbers made it might be surprising they all ended up in Edinburgh otherwise!

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    That makes sense - I've seen three of them, two basses and a guitar. Given the low overall numbers made it might be surprising they all ended up in Edinburgh otherwise!
    great thing about FB is this  knowledge that can be found somewhere by someone no matter how obscure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Never seen one before but I like it.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ICBM said:
    great thing about FB is this  knowledge that can be found somewhere by someone no matter how obscure
    When this place works well, it's the pride of guitar community in the UK.
    It's astonishing some of the things this place has achieved from a small bit of info to the literal rescue that so many here managed to pull off last year for my Family.
    I'm truly proud to be part of it.

I really hope that guitar turns out to be worth something for your Father in Law  and whoever gets it is suitably happy with it too.

Nice one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 196
    edited November 2016
    http://www.odysseyguitars.ca/history.php
    http://www.odysseyguitars.ca/3.php
    There's a Facebook page where people have offered guitars for sale so it might be worth posting on there .. 
    https://www.facebook.com/Odyssey-Guitars-298101206963157/?ref=hl
    bignorm said:
    Useful to have it confirmed that the strap buttons were machined in-house - I was quite sure I've never seen them on any other instrument, and it was what made me think it might be an Odyssey and not a copy when I looked closely at the pic here :).

[/geek]

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom