Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

whats a good cheap guitar for stoner rock !!!

What's Hot
Hello all.

so looking for something nice and sludgy for stoner rock, I mainly use a strat and it isnt cutting it.

budget less than £500 and as cheap as possible really

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Les Paul Special or Studio.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Les Paul Junior
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1401
    J Mascis JM
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    edited November 2016
    Can't go wrong with an SG. Both p90s and humbuckers work really well. I'd recommend a pre-owned SG special...a mid 2000s one can be had for under £500. Or go for an SG junior and stick a BK a Pig 90 in it! 

If it has had to be new then maybe something like a Yamaha Revstar.

i find for sludge, stoner, doom a really good fuzz and valve amp is more important than the guitar itself.

(praise iommi)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Also look at the black arts toneworks pharaoh pedal for a great doom-y stoner-y fuzz
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited November 2016
    I'm selling a 2000 mint condition Epi Les Paul Studio with a SD Invader in the bridge for cheap if you want it (still have the original bridge pickup too if you want it).

Well, 'cheap' is open to interpretation but it's much cheaper than £500...
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    How low are you tuning to and what gauge strings are you playing?  What's the rest of your rig? 

You may may be best off changing that than the guitar depending on what you have 
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 890
    edited November 2016
    I had the pharoah, currently using an Abominable fx Hail Satan. @lew suggested it when I was looking for a Pharoah style fuzz, I ended up with both, the Pharoh was more versatile, but the Hail Satan just sounds insane

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• so looking for something nice and sludgy for stoner rock, I mainly use a strat and it isnt cutting it.
    Some of my favourite contempory 'stoner'/doom bands I know use Strats!  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5214
    A lot of stoner rock and sludge  is based on solid state sounds, rather then valve. Tubeworks Mosvalve, Sunn Concert and Beta series, old Peavey and old Randall heads. 

LP and SG shapes are great. Flying Vs, 70s style BC Rich and variations on those. 
  • Get a Baritone & set of 12's 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    A lot of stoner rock and sludge  is based on solid state sounds, rather then valve. Tubeworks Mosvalve, Sunn Concert and Beta series, old Peavey and old Randall heads. 

LP and SG shapes are great. Flying Vs, 70s style BC Rich and variations on those. 
    I wouldnt say stoner or doom is based on solid state as a general rule.  I think there are a few artists that use them but they are probably exceptions more than anything.  Most bands in the genre gravitate towards valve for the power amp drive and saturation.  I'd say things like Orange, Matamp/Green, Laney Kipps and AORs, Sunn Model T's, etc are more commonly associated with it then betas, etc.

I guess this isnt helping the OP, but its an interesting point nonetheless.  I dont doubt you can get some good stoner/sludge tones with SS but IMO its certainly not what I think of when I think of that sound.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited November 2016
    Those aforementioned SS amps mentioned earlier are as rare as hens teeth in this country...hell, in Europe even.

I've been after a Sunn Beta Lead for ages but absolutely nothing has come up. My Matamp provides all the insane low end I need right now anyway. Ooooh yeah.

EDIT: I know Hilbish Design has released a Beta Lead clone but I think they're sold out...?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4776
    Shame you're so far away as I have the sludgiest guitar known to man in the shape of a sunburst Squier Jaguar HH.  It's got so much grunt it could actually overdrive my Princeton while set as clean as possible.  Its got two SD's in it but God knows what they are. Well under your budget.  PM me if remotely interested.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    I was going to say SG too.

Although this Reverend Sensei certainly looks the part!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    My band is kinda stonery riff-centric rock with and without fuzz and I've got on fine with a stock gibson sg standard. I have a les paul again now though which I will probably end up using more! 

I'd have thought a strat with some beefy pickups would be fine though! 
    edited November 2016

Reverend said:

I wouldnt say stoner or doom is based on solid state as a general rule.  I think there are a few artists that use them but they are probably exceptions more than anything.  Most bands in the genre gravitate towards valve for the power amp drive and saturation.  I'd say things like Orange, Matamp/Green, Laney Kipps and AORs, Sunn Model T's, etc are more commonly associated with it then betas, etc.

I guess this isnt helping the OP, but its an interesting point nonetheless.  I dont doubt you can get some good stoner/sludge tones with SS but IMO its certainly not what I think of when I think of that sound.
    A lot of the original bands used them 

Kyuss, Earth, Eyehategod, Crowbar etc. The heavy valve amp thing is more recent. A lot of the original stoner rock bands came out of the hardcore scent and so the Black Flag and Bad Brains set ups were a big influence on the gear they used - as well as how cheap it was in the states. The first few times I saw the Melvins Buzz was using a rack mount Rat and power amps.
    I only really think of Acrimony when it comes to Green. Sleep had them when I saw them touring Holy Mountain but that was only because they just bought them a day or so before. - the album was done with Laney. It was only really Stu from Acrimony that used them a lot back them. 
  • For amp I use an orange ad30r.  Might not be ideal. But it's a good amp.