Thinline Teles then...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9845
edited November 2016 in Guitar
Considering buying a thinline in the reasonably near future, and just wondered what else I should be looking at apart from Fender/Squier?

Budget is up to £1000 for the right guitar but would prefer to be looking at £500 - £750.

Must haves...
   Maple fretboard
   Bolt-on neck
   Reasonably chunky neck

Would like to haves...
   'Surf' colour
   Global volume and tone controls
   Fender scale length
   9.5" radius 

I think I'd prefer single coils, but since my existing guitars are both single coils, I'd be willing to look at HBs or P90s.

Thanks in advance.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Look at G&L and Fret King, might as well give Italia a look as well, they do something vaguely Tele Like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31223
    My advice is to get a MIM 72 Reissue and get some Oil City Wide Range Reissues.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8158
    I really like the humble Fender MIC Modern Player Thinline Deluxe.  I put better P90's in mine, and absolutely love it.  Sold USA Fenders, kept the Chinese one!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    Build your own 
    Guitarbuild body
    Allparts neck of choice
    Hardware of choice
    Enjoy!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    edited November 2016
    MJT partscaster with Creamery pups.

Off the shelf guitars are rare with those specs/finish.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9845
    edited November 2016
    paulnb57 said:
    Build your own 
    Guitarbuild body
    Allparts neck of choice
    Hardware of choice
    Enjoy!
    My DIY skills are such that I'd probably end up with something that would look like it had been designed by Heath Robinson and assembled by Caractacus Potts - i.e. almost, but not entirely, unlike a guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14847
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    My advice is to get a MIM 72 Reissue and get some Oil City Wide Range Reissues.
    I tend to agree with this - those MIM replicas are basically fine and if spare funds allow then upgrade the p/ups as appropriate

Other option is a used USA Thinline Tele Deluxe and I can't remember the exact model number now but about 10/15 years ago Fender released a limited run of USA Tele Thinline 90's. so a used version of this is maybe worth tracking down (found it - same as this https://reverb.com/uk/item/24095-fender-90-s-telecaster-thinline-1999-natural-double-bound)  - Both of these are not pure vintage replicas but worth looking at - both have modern tweaks on a 'vintage chassis' - Or the Telebration Thinline model from around 2011
  • paulnb57 said:
    Build your own 
    Guitarbuild body

Problem with that is the guitarbuild Thinline bodies aren't routed properly for the slanted selector switch - they seem to be routed from the back, Cabronita-style. Although if you asked them I'm sure they would make one compatible with standard Thinline pickguards.
    Found this today- Martin will always move a little- scroll down.

http://thelittleguitarshop.com/new-arrivals.html

Gassage said:
    Found this today- Martin will always move a little- scroll down.

http://thelittleguitarshop.com/new-arrivals.html

Wow! If you mean the Korea one, that looks perfect. Just waiting for the money to come in (bit of a story) but hopefully fairly soon.
  • Have you tried a Thinline already? Did you really like it? They always reminded me of a 335-style. The best 335-style is a good 335.
    Have you tried a Thinline already? Did you really like it? They always reminded me of a 335-style. The best 335-style is a good 335.
    I know not aimed at me - I bought one on a whim. (MIM). It was so delightful I bought a real 73 - outside of my strats, it's my fave guitar ever. Incredible. Nothing like a 335- more ballsy and punchy. Really powerful.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    edited November 2016
    Find one of the Mexican '69 Tele's in the nice bright finishes (shell pink, surf green etc).

Edit- this is the full set:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had an American FSR 72 Thinline and it was very well built. The pickups were OK but nothing special but the real thing that turned me off was the location of the pickup selector, it's really easy to knock it out of the neck position with your strumming hand, so annoying!

octatonic said:
    Find one of the Mexican '69 Tele's in the nice bright finishes (shell pink, surf green etc).

Sorry, thinlines have to have WRH.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    edited November 2016
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

Fender don't make a proper wideranger anymore- CUNIFE magnets are apparently a tricky proposition.
    All the modern 'wideranger' looking pickups don't behave like the vintage ones.
    If Fender stepped up and went to the trouble to do it properly then I'd agree- otherwise I'll have a '69 thanks.
    edited November 2016
    Have you tried a Thinline already? Did you really like it? They always reminded me of a 335-style. The best 335-style is a good 335.
    Yes, the Squier CV one which I thought was great. However, given the choice I'd go for a surf colour.

To give a bit more background, my Dad died earlier this year and it would mean a lot to me to have a guitar bought with his money. Probate should all be sorted within the next week or so.

My Ovation was bought with money left to me by my Nan, and my US Tele was a 50th birthday pressure from Mrs9000, so it feels right to have a guitar that has some sentimental significance re my Dad. However, this does mean that I've got to get it right first time as whatever I buy will necessarily be a keeper. Thus it's important to try to find something as close as possible to what I want.

Having said that, I'm well aware that I may well pop into a shop and be taken by something I hadn't even previously considered.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:

Wrong. 69's are the original and best. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • My uncle has the 69 thinline in the Walnut finish. I agree with the pick up selector position. Also, the stock bridge pickup is too dark. 
    edited November 2016
    Look at G&L and Fret King, might as well give Italia a look as well, they do something vaguely Tele Like.
    How do the G&L Tribute series compare in quality with Fender MIM Classic? Also, what are the necks like? A bit of googling suggests the necks are slightly on the skinny side.