Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Today's Guthrie thread - features actual slow playing and mishaps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Crikey heck! Impressive. Breaking a string with about 60 people onstage during a piece like that is a bit different to cocking up the solo of Mustang Sally down the Red Lion, innit.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27150
    edited November 2016
    Crikey heck! Impressive. Breaking a string with about 60 people onstage during a piece like that is a bit different to cocking up the solo of Mustang Sally down the Red Lion, innit.
    That's the part that's baking my noodle, though - he didn't cock it up.

There wasn't a single dodgy or out-of-place note. He didn't even do a Clapton and make percussive noises to cover it while he figured out what to do...he just instantly adjusted his playing to fit with the ENTIRE BLOODY ORCHESTRA GOING ON AROUND HIM, then grabbed a slide and played what he was originally going to play with effectively a totally different instrument where all the note markers are in the wrong place.

I'm not convinced that's the kind of thing you can do with experience or learning. You need a whole different kind of brain to deal with that.

EDIT: Yes, I know I'm stating the obvious. I'm just boggled by it (and him in general).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope he reads these threads and realises we are ready to go with him to his home planet.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Interesting - and very impressive.
    He is looking at the slide - having made a decision -  within 1 second of losing the string.

The music is not my taste but I like the man and I loved the passion/enthusiasm shown during the Andertons interview that somebody posted here...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    I've been on a bit of a Guthrieathon over the last few weeks and this video puts the hairs on the back of my neck up, impressive is an understatement
  • Hats off to him that's a great clip. Thanks for sharing
  • I mentioned that I was going to look at more Guthrie videos (another GG inspired thread is running too) and stumbled across this madness: Guthrie, Dizzie Rascal and a blistering fretless guitar solo. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom