Do I need a loop pedal?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
I've just picked up a Yamaha THR10 and want to create some loops so I can practice soloing over them. 

Do I need a loop pedal to achieve this or I can I record to (say) GarageBand direct from the amp and then have that playback through the Aux In on the amp? 

This is all a bit bit new to me so sorry if this is a daft question! A few days ago all I owned was an acoustic!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Also if I do need a pedal, can someone recommend a good basic one to get started with? Thanks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    If you've got the cables to hook it up there's no reason you can't use Garageband, but it will be a bit of a faff compared to a loop pedal. On the other hand it does make it easier to record longer and more complex loops than most simple loop pedals allow, and you will be able to use a different sound to play over the loop than it was recorded with.

If you do still want a simple but good looper, I've never found anything that beats the Akai Headrush E2. You can pick these up secondhand for as little as about £60 now. I recently tried the Boss RC-1 which was close, but just a bit too limited.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5521
    A loop pedal will be far more immediate. I like the TC Ditto x2 personally. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432

Why not go a stage farther and get a Digitech Trio Plus which is looper with optional bass and drums. A little more band-like. There's one for sale in the classifieds right now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys. 

That Trio looks very interesting but I'm looking for cheap and dirty at the moment considering my budget for guitar and amp was £100 and I spent £390 :joy: 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cheap and dirty = your phone + youtube backing tracks + the mini stereo cable which comes with the THR
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks guys. 

That Trio looks very interesting but I'm looking for cheap and dirty at the moment considering my budget for guitar and amp was £100 and I spent £390 :joy: 

LOL

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/ditto-looper-pedal-/152307912141?nav=SEARCH

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks guys. 

I'm looking for cheap and dirty at the moment

Sorry mate, she's taken!  ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Zoom G3 is cheap and works great as a looper I have the G5 and use the loops a lot. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    edited November 2016
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I've just picked up a Yamaha THR10 and want to... practice soloing.... 

Do I need a loop pedal to achieve this or I can I record to (say) GarageBand direct from the amp and then have that playback through the Aux In on the amp?
    Practice soloing over backing tracks.
    But loop pedals are great fun.  TC Ditto is quick and dirty and super simple to use.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31985
    If you just want stuff to play over rather than create yourself there's stacks of good stuff on YouTube. The advantage of using other people's backing tracks is that it drags you out of your comfort zone too. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    There are websites with free backing tracks, to solo along to, if that's your thing..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SporkySporky Frets: 29205
    ICBM said:

If you do still want a simple but good looper, I've never found anything that beats the Akai Headrush E2. You can pick these up secondhand for as little as about £60 now.
    Such as mine (now I've got a Helix with a built-in looper). £66 including shipping. Pics here:

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/967852/#Comment_967852

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    I like the Jamman ones because you canuse SD cards to plug in loop collections.  Plus the controls make sense.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Thanks for the help guys! Will definitely check out the Ditto and the Headrush! Will also use backing tracks for sure but fun to be able to play both parts of songs myself also so I think a cheap looper will be a worthwhile investment :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    One advantage of the Headrush is that it's also a very good delay pedal with both a standard delay and a good tape-echo simulation. In fact, that's it's main purpose - but it's so outstanding as a looper that it seems to get overlooked.

Check out a KT Tunstall live performance of Black Horse & The Cherry Tree for an illustration of what you can do with it as a looper...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    p90fool said:
    If you just want stuff to play over rather than create yourself there's stacks of good stuff on YouTube. The advantage of using other people's backing tracks is that it drags you out of your comfort zone too. 
    usedtobe said:
    There are websites with free backing tracks, to solo along to, if that's your thing..
    Sorry OP for jumping in here.  However, I'd really like to know how this works or how I can set up so I can play along with backing tracks.  Is it possible to get these backing tracks to come out of the amp (at amp levels)?  I only have one amp.  I have a Macbook.  Can I get a lead from Macbook to go into the amp and would this be all I need?  

• Another shout for the Headrush. Simple and sounds great.   I do think however nowadays all digital amps should come with a simple built in looper which can be controlled via a simple one button footswitch.  I have an infinity which is great, but having a handy one built into the amp would be good for simple straight into amp home jamming.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks guys. 

Looks like you're gonna fit right in here  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Thanks for the help guys! Will definitely check out the Ditto and the Headrush! Will also use backing tracks for sure but fun to be able to play both parts of songs myself also so I think a cheap looper will be a worthwhile investment :)
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/53562/fs-digitech-jam-man-express-looper-pedal-40-inc#latest ; ;)