Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Obviously not such a great PRS upgrade

What's Hot
modifying a PRS and Refinishing it seemingly does not make it a keeper.

thought members would see some irony in this as they have been video bombed with it a good few times.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222305764317 ;
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7437
    Link isn't working. Is it the multicoloured one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Found it. The seller is wudtone.

I think it looks awesome, but I certainly don't think it's worth £2k. I'd probably pay a fair bit less than a stock one goes for.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4221
    I believe that's the copy of the finish on th Al DiMeola model 
  • There is something about the Wudtone spiel that is really annoying...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    He certainly had a talent for putting people's backs up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29205
    I always thought that finish was impressive as a stand guitar for shows. I can't see it having good resale value though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I actually like the Al DiMeola prism finish and yes, certainly a good vehicle for guitar finishes 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    As someone who is new to owning PRS guitars but someone who has owned Strats with these trems...

I honestly can't see what the point is. The trem on my 305 is simply the best I have ever played - ON ANYTHING. The guitar feels like it's alive, there is so much resonance. 

So much so that I am looking at other PRS instruments in a totally different way... although I draw the line at some of the finish options.

Point is, any "upgrade" devalues the guitar to someone looking for an original one. And marmite "upgrades" like this make it damn near unsalable to someone looking for a PRS.

Good luck to him selling it - but with that finish and the other "upgrades" I feel that value is about twice what it should be. But that's just my opinion...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    "also has clear PRS speed knobs fitted"
    He's not kidding, they're completely see-through.
    I also like the sound of the "tacky satin feel" neck.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    That is a hideous mongrel......

Not a single thing is an 'upgrade', just changes to personal taste.  Thing with PRS is that they are generally pretty much spot on out of the factory. Pickups are obviously a bit more of a personal thing, but the finish looks awful, especially on the back and why would you swap the tuners for the old Phase 1s? The Phase 2s are much easier to use and very stable.

He's asking at least twice what it's worth, I actually cannot see anyone who's seriously looking to buy a PRS going anywhere near it.
  • He's also trying to sell a 2010 Mexican Strat for 740 quid, no matter what 'upgrades' it has, it's not worth that much.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    The testimonial's a bit dubious as well because I know a bloke in France called Marc and as far as I know, he's never bought a refinished PRS.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    The top looks alright, nice colour in fact, but the back...jeez.  :s
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    Looks quite nice from the front but crap from the back.

Replacing the tuners and leaving extra holes is stupid. If you want the wing tuners (which I prefer) you can get them in the correct footprint to fit the Phase II holes.

He's also fitted the wrong switch, badly. The right one sits flush with the top.

Basically, just very badly done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Its obviously a me thing lol I thought it was bloody ironic you whore something out everywhere as such a great upgrade in this and the PRS forums and its so good you then can it on Ebay for a few quid.

says a lot in my mind I would sell the kids before I sold my unmodified PRS Lol
    That's irrelevant really because he made it to display as an advert for his products and then sell, not play.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16982
    Top looks good to me

has the neck and sides been left alone? There seems to be a dark blue line around the edge round over.  Also, describes a lacquer chip at the edge of the fretboard as "nothing unusual" ... on a guitar refinished two months ago.

in summary-  half a job, but I do like the colour on top
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23754
    I think it looks OK - from the front - but it's bloody expensive for a guitar which has been so heavily modded.  

And I don't understand what he's done to the back of the guitar with the blue neck, blue edges but natural(ish) body back.  Why?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    It's worth less not more after what they've done to it.