Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Neville Martin

What's Hot

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @richardhomer Well you know a solid piece of guitar work is a solid piece of work, regardless of genre. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:
    @richardhomer Well you know a solid piece of guitar work is a solid piece of work, regardless of genre. 
    It is - 'guitar work' is definitely not genre-specific and Neville - much like 'Whispering' Bob Harris - seems to recognise it, when he hears it....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I like Neville he seems like a nice guy. I remember seeing him chatting to Allan Holdsworth after a gig in Swindon. looked like two guys catching up. :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Yes, Nev headed up Guitarist when it was essential reading and seems to know his way around the fretboard.
    I've heard him do a couple of radio things and he is not a natural raconteur by any means, so not sure how much I want to watch the video.
    He was also responsible for the final nail in the coffin of Guitarist for me. He did a thing on reggae blues. Bit of a non event but the write up contained a bunch of factual errors. This was not geeky nitpicking this was basic information he could have got off Google in 30 seconds. Boring lesson, badly written article - I felt they'd given up trying so I gave up buying.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited November 2016
    I remember writing in to Mick Taylor when he was Ed at Guitarist and he got Neville to give me a personal reply to my technical query - it involved 2x Teaspoons...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I remember writing in to Mick Taylor when he was Ed at Guitarist and he got Neville to give me a personal reply to my technical query - it involved 2x Teaspoons...
    How to lift a Strat knob?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, Nev headed up Guitarist when it was essential reading and seems to know his way around the fretboard.
    I've heard him do a couple of radio things and he is not a natural raconteur by any means, so not sure how much I want to watch the video.
    He was also responsible for the final nail in the coffin of Guitarist for me. He did a thing on reggae blues. Bit of a non event but the write up contained a bunch of factual errors. This was not geeky nitpicking this was basic information he could have got off Google in 30 seconds. Boring lesson, badly written article - I felt they'd given up trying so I gave up buying.
    two words I love in isolation, but shudder at when combined. Thanks, Eric!
  • Some of the guitar work  =) on Bob Marley and Peter Tosh recordings and in their bands were done by people who were primarily blues players ( Paul Kossoff had turned down the chance to join Marley's band, so we are in that kind of area here) so I got the general idea. So, Nev did some kind of reggae backing track and did some minor blues licks over them, from what I remember. Then blathered on about Tosh doing the solos on Wailers records. No he didn't. He couldn't even mime to them on the OGWT and didn't play the solos on his own albums.
    Just badly put together filler like the 100 great guitar moments articles and Christmas specials.
    I despaired.
    Yes, Nev headed up Guitarist when it was essential reading and seems to know his way around the fretboard.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    dindude said:
    57Deluxe said:
    haha - was Gibson 335 knobs!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    dindude said:
    57Deluxe said:
    haha - was Gibson 335 knobs!
    Ah good, the alternative question to this answer was "how do I route a guitar the hard way"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched it and when they try Neville's new Les Paul Custom up against Lee's R8, The R8 sounds better. The Custom sounded a little brittle and bright compared. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25100

I wish these "Captain Meets" videos weren't quite so long.  I know I could watch them in bits, but the very fact they're an hour or more puts me off starting. 

I still haven't watched the Guthrie one, apart from dipping in for a couple of minutes to note that he looks very much like Fagin.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Neville Martin was one of the tutors on the IGF week in Bath way back then.  I met him there.  He ran the Blues course.  Later that week he played with Gary Moore, everyone played Eric Clapton songs.  A great night, Bernie Marsden was there as was David Mead and a number of other 'big name' players [whose names I cannot remember!]  I have a photo of 'me & Nev' on my hi-fi system rack.  Nev sure knew his stuff, nice and simple but it worked.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725
    I watched it and when they try Neville's new Les Paul Custom up against Lee's R8, The R8 sounds better. The Custom sounded a little brittle and bright compared. 
    I preferred the Custom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    crunchman said:
    I watched it and when they try Neville's new Les Paul Custom up against Lee's R8, The R8 sounds better. The Custom sounded a little brittle and bright compared. 
    I preferred the Custom.
    Here here, I thought the custom sounded better too.
  • Custom far better.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    edited November 2016
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    Seems like a nice humble guy. Again, I'm impressed that anyone can carve a career as a working muso. Especially these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Guess who??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>