Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Shop' sending 2 single packs of strings via DPD...Why?

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

I know its a trivial thing to moan about, and its not really a moan as such, but I am just wondering why.

Ive purchased online, 2 sets of strings, that could easily fit through my letterbox at home. Its not like they are a high value item. So now, Ive had to upgrade the delivery option with DPD (£5) so that they will deliver in a time slot when I know someone will be there to sign for them...for bloody strings...ridiculous.

I know I could have ordered them elsewhere and blah blah blah...my fault  blah blah, but I couldn't see stock of the particular ones I wanted yesterday when I checked. Does seem like a bit of an odd thing to do...

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Someone with a degree who has no common sense following a scripted list of actions.

Get used to it, it's the future.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikko said:

Does seem like a bit of an odd thing to do...

Stores/shops/websites will have contracts with certain couriers for certain services, so the item you've ordered and it's value isn't the only factor in how it's despatched to you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    We live in a world where waste seems trivial to most, unfortunately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    It's probably cheaper than Royal Mail, for a better service. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019

Better? For who? Clearly not the customer.

When I decide where to buy stuff from these days is largely dictated by how they deliver. Stick it through the letterbox or I'll pop round the sorting office (Royal Mail) or the local Post Office (Parcelforce) when I can. Have to take a day off work to sit around all day? Ach, I won't bother then.

Better? For who? Clearly not the customer.

When I decide where to buy stuff from these days is largely dictated by how they deliver. Stick it through the letterbox or I'll pop round the sorting office (Royal Mail) or the local Post Office (Parcelforce) when I can. Have to take a day off work to sit around all day? Ach, I won't bother then.

Better as in cheaper for the sender and can be proven as delivered. DPD's tracked service on a contract is probably not much more expensive than an unsigned Royal Mail delivery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    SNAKEBITE said:

Someone with a degree who has no common sense

Chip on shoulder much?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITE said:

Someone with a degree who has no common sense following a scripted list of actions.

There speaks someone with a chip on his shoulder.
    Far more likely they got sick of people saying things didn't turn up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    SNAKEBITE said:

Yep. A friend of mine runs a small shop and stopped sending even the smallest items out untracked due to the disproportionate amount of people claiming they didn't receive goods. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725
    DPD are generally one of the better couriers.  I only work 10 minutes from home so at least I have a chance with the one hour window.

I wonder if they need a signed for service because people claim that they have not had stuff delivered.  They will probably have a bulk contract with DPD for all signed for packages.  If DPD come and pick up 100 packages a day then the cost will be a fraction of what it would cost you and me to use them.

Ultimately, if they use a courier who doesn't deliver at a sensible time, or doesn't have a depot near you, the only real option is to shop elsewhere.  I've stopped buying from Ebuyer as they insist on using Yodel - who are utter rubbish.  They shove a card through the door that isn't properly filled out.  They don't leave it with a neighbour even when you know a neighbour has been in all day, and their depot is 11 miles away.
    Sporky said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Chip on shoulder much?

Not at all.

Have I got a degree? No.

Do I work in an industry that employs people with a degree that I then have to educate to do the job properly in the "real world"? Yes.

When I left school I wasn't intelligent to get a degree, nowadays every one seems to have one, and they are becoming relatively worthless!

I prefer to have 30 years of hands on experience, involving all the practical and technical aspects.

No chip on my shoulder, just a headful of accumulated knowledge gained the hard way.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    SNAKEBITE said:

There speaks someone with a chip on his shoulder.

Never had a problem with things not turning up, but had lots of problems with degree educated people that can't think their way out of a paper bag!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    SNAKEBITE said:

I prefer to have 30 years of hands on experience, involving all the practical and technical aspects.

You're surprised that a three year degree doesn't result in thirty years of experience?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Sporky said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Chip on shoulder much?

Not at all.

Have I got a degree? No.

Do I work in an industry that employs people with a degree that I then have to educate to do the job properly in the "real world"? Yes.

When I left school I wasn't intelligent to get a degree, nowadays every one seems to have one, and they are becoming relatively worthless!

No chip on my shoulder, just a headful of accumulated knowledge gained the hard way.

Console yourself with the thought that most of those postgrads now work in call-centres or Poundland.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74482
    Interesting… I also work for a mail-order business, and more than 95% of everything we send out to the UK is by standard Royal Mail 2nd Class - not signed for, tracked or insured. I don't know what the exact loss rate is, but it's tiny, one or two percent at most I would guess.

We also make an effort to pack things in a way that they will fit through a letterbox, if it's possible - because that way they go as a 'large letter' rather than a 'packet', which is cheaper for us too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 17498
    Don't DPD let you redirect to a local shop if you are not in?

I recall being pretty impressed by the options last time they had a parcel for me
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    They do yes, but I have to try and balance work with running around after my 3 year old getting her to Nursery or childminder or picking up from either during lunch breaks and after work so it's not convenient unfortunately.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17498
    Nikko said:
    They do yes, but I have to try and balance work with running around after my 3 year old getting her to Nursery or childminder or picking up from either during lunch breaks and after work so it's not convenient unfortunately.
    Fair enough, I have a 4 year old and 6 month old so I understand how it can make things difficult.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Some companies get an awesome rate via DPD or Interlink which rivals Royal Mail if they do enough business with them.
    Also no going and standing in a post office queue.
    The great thing about these two companies (think they have the same parent company) is that they tell you exactly when they will deliver and it is always the case. I get a lot of suppliers sending via DPD and our local drivers are really good.
    The worst is Yodel or Hermes as they use mums in family cars after they do the school run and they don't always get it right or bother to deliver at all.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8102
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Sporky said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Chip on shoulder much?

Not at all.

Have I got a degree? No.

Would you like salt and vinegar on those? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom