Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ios vs Android.....

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    For me it's purely an engineering perspective, if they built Android devices better and put a tighter rein on the chain of trust software wise then it would have a better device overall and I would probably use one.  As it is all the Android tablets including the more expensive Lenovo Yoga and Samsung Tabs are garbage with flimsy plastics, shit sockets and taped in screen and digi cables. Unfortunately as well you can get a disabling virus on Android just by visiting certain sites and clicking on the wrong thing. It's not just shit aps that cause it. The fake Interpol ransom ware virus is very common at the mo, great for me as I can earn £20 by holding 2 buttons and wiping the thing but a bit embarrassing for the user

There's loads of stuff that annoy me with Apple too but I have never seen a virus on an iPad or Iphone and I've never ever had to replace a micro USB port on one either. Sure you can break a lighting port socket if you really try but it's a £4 serviceable part with no need to break out the heat gun to do it. 

SD cards ? not on any phone for much longer I would have thought as A : it's hard to make a splash proof phone with any slots at all and B most manufactuers are realising (like IBM did years ago) that there's more money in storing your data than selling you hardware. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    Regardless of the phones themselves, what wears me out is how self-righteous "Android people" can be (not necessarily this thread.. mostly). It's nothing to do with the hardware, it seems to be purely a position of "I'm not a sheep - I'm a free thinker and this is evidenced buy my buying a product from an entirely different Massive Global Corporation and that makes me morally better than you". 

I really don't get it. 

:D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    Strangefan said:

The documents and data issue is the main reason!  
    Sorry, I must be missing something. I use documents and data on my phone. I don't have any problem with storage or transferring them to another device. Why do I need an SD card?

Have a read of the last "con" for apple in the op,  it's not about actual documents and data but what Apple class as d and d,. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    ICBM said:
    Strangefan said:

The documents and data issue is the main reason! :) 
    Sorry, I must be missing something. I use documents and data on my phone. I don't have any problem with storage or transferring them to another device. Why do I need an SD card?
    When I travel I have my Android tablet and several SD cards with various things on them - music, films and telly programmes to watch, books, all sorts of stuff.

That's why I need an SD card. Or several.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73025
    Fair enough, I just don't see it as an issue for the vast majority of users.

In the same way as I need an iPod with a minimum of 160GB of storage, which doesn't apply to most users. I do find it slightly frustrating that Apple don't (at least yet) make an iPod Touch with the same 256GB that the top-spec iPhone 7 has, but my old Classic is still working so a bit of a moot point at the moment.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    cruxiform said:
    Regardless of the phones themselves, what wears me out is how self-righteous "Android people" can be (not necessarily this thread.. mostly). It's nothing to do with the hardware, it seems to be purely a position of "I'm not a sheep - I'm a free thinker and this is evidenced buy my buying a product from an entirely different Massive Global Corporation and that makes me morally better than you". 

I really don't get it. 

:D

Ha ha, spot on. I do like a bit of Romesh.
  • dindude said:

Ha ha, spot on. I do like a bit of Romesh.

Says the militant Apple fan boy =P
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    ICBM said:
    What's an SD card?

OK, I know what an SD card is ;). Why would I need to use one with my phone?
    Completely agree. When I used a Windows phone I used the SD card to carry around a load of music -that I rarely actually listened to. Once I switched to iPhone and got over the shock of no SD card I soon realised how much better it is to just drag a few tracks/albums to the phone that I want to listen to that day.

It may feel empowering to carry around your entire life on a chip but really, who needs it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    JezWynd said:
    ICBM said:
    What's an SD card?

Completely agree. When I used a Windows phone I used the SD card to carry around a load of music -that I rarely actually listened to. Once I switched to iPhone and got over the shock of no SD card I soon realised how much better it is to just drag a few tracks/albums to the phone that I want to listen to that day.

It may feel empowering to carry around your entire life on a chip but really, who needs it?
    People who don't want to choose a few albums to listen to every day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    ICBM said:
    What's an SD card?

That seems more like a poor solution, 
    Syncing albums every day when you can have all of them I would class as a ball ache :) 

Again just my opinion! 
  • Danny1969 said:
    For me it's purely an engineering perspective, if they built Android devices better and put a tighter rein on the chain of trust software wise then it would have a better device overall and I would probably use one.  As it is all the Android tablets including the more expensive Lenovo Yoga and Samsung Tabs are garbage with flimsy plastics, shit sockets and taped in screen and digi cables. Unfortunately as well you can get a disabling virus on Android just by visiting certain sites and clicking on the wrong thing. It's not just shit aps that cause it. The fake Interpol ransom ware virus is very common at the mo, great for me as I can earn £20 by holding 2 buttons and wiping the thing but a bit embarrassing for the user

There's loads of stuff that annoy me with Apple too but I have never seen a virus on an iPad or Iphone and I've never ever had to replace a micro USB port on one either. Sure you can break a lighting port socket if you really try but it's a £4 serviceable part with no need to break out the heat gun to do it. 

SD cards ? not on any phone for much longer I would have thought as A : it's hard to make a splash proof phone with any slots at all and B most manufactuers are realising (like IBM did years ago) that there's more money in storing your data than selling you hardware. 

You're surely not suggesting that iphones are well built are you? They were, as far as I know,the first phone that could break in your pocket. 

Also, most iphones I've seen have cracked screens. Seriously - I don't think that's an exaggeration. Maybe iPhone users in cambridge are clumsier than folk with android phones... or maybe the glass is just shite. 

I'll concede that iPads are better built, but they should be for the cost. I'd argue, being a tablet, they don't need to be as tough as a phone, as they don't get thrown into your pocket day in day out. iPads also work excellent - better than any android tablet, although I'm using a hudl2 that's been fantastic. It's nowhere near the polish of an iPad though and, if I could, I'd rather have an iPad.

My Nexus 4 runs great, occasionally hiccups, but considering its age and the abuse it has had (extreme heat, general throwing about) it's done well. again, I think the "proper" Google phones rule the roost versus third party.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29130
    edited November 2016

I think the "proper" Google phones rule the roost versus third party.
    I think it's about having a "light" installation of Android. The Nexus 4 and 10 were great in that regard, and my Moto G4 is also excellent - no garbage overlay, no bloat. Also it takes an SD card, two SIMs and is splash proof.

Tell you what though, the Lightning connector is pretty good, in that you can plug it in either way up.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

I think the "proper" Google phones rule the roost versus third party.
    I think it's about having a "light" installation of Android. The Nexus 4 and 10 were great in that regard, and my Moto G4 is also excellent - no garbage overlay, no bloat. Also it takes an SD card, two SIMs and is splash proof.

Tell you what though, the Lightning connector is pretty good, in that you can plug it in either way up.
    HTC have skinned android perfectly,  it's general consensus it's the best of its type, and I have to agree I have had 2 nexus phones and honestly prefer the HTC software, plus the HTC 10 has USB C so it can be charged in either way........ I have to say tho HTC had to pull off a pretty phenomenal phone with the 10 as they're doing so badly financially, but me being a bit of a htc fan I'm really happy to confirm  its the best android handset I have used. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73025
    Danny1969 said:
    For me it's purely an engineering perspective, if they built Android devices better and put a tighter rein on the chain of trust software wise then it would have a better device overall and I would probably use one.  As it is all the Android tablets including the more expensive Lenovo Yoga and Samsung Tabs are garbage with flimsy plastics, shit sockets and taped in screen and digi cables.
    You're surely not suggesting that iphones are well built are you? They were, as far as I know,the first phone that could break in your pocket.
    Maybe he has that opinion on them since he's a professional phone repair tech ;).

I do know someone who broke her original iPhone on Day 1 by putting it in her back pocket and sitting down on it, but I'm not sure that's really a problem with the phone…

ThePrettyDamned said:

Also, most iphones I've seen have cracked screens. Seriously - I don't think that's an exaggeration. Maybe iPhone users in cambridge are clumsier than folk with android phones... or maybe the glass is just shite.
    I've never broken my iPhone, and apart from that one woman I don't know anyone else who has either. I know a lot of people who have broken their non-Apple phones though. I think it says more about the users than the phones.

ThePrettyDamned said:

I'll concede that iPads are better built, but they should be for the cost. I'd argue, being a tablet, they don't need to be as tough as a phone, as they don't get thrown into your pocket day in day out. iPads also work excellent - better than any android tablet, although I'm using a hudl2 that's been fantastic. It's nowhere near the polish of an iPad though and, if I could, I'd rather have an iPad.
    Which is odd, because they're pretty much the exact same thing as the phones, just a different size. If you think an iPad doesn't need to be tough you should see how the ones in schools get used :). They will handle that just fine if fitted with a proper cover… just like phones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    Danny1969 said:

My Nexus 4 runs great, occasionally hiccups, but considering its age and the abuse it has had (extreme heat, general throwing about) it's done well. again, I think the "proper" Google phones rule the roost versus third party.
    Yes iPhones are very well built, My own iPhone survived being thrown across a car park by the previous owner ... As the body of the phone is milled metal the motherboard was totally undamaged .... Just needed a new £25 screen .   A Typical Samsung phone would have been a write off 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I know loads of people who have broken multiple phones and loads of people who've never broken one. I'm pretty sure the correlation is with users and fucktardery, not brands of phones.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    Yes iPhones are very well built, My own iPhone survived being thrown across a car park by the previous owner ... As the body of the phone is milled metal the motherboard was totally undamaged .... Just needed a new £25 screen .   A Typical Samsung phone would have been a write off 

Hehe doesn't sound like it survived at all with a broken screen and chassis damage,  

No one can  really compare durability they're all made from glass silicone and alloy/plastic,   everyone treats their phone differently,  plus I know of not one person who has a phone without a case.  That's going  to account for the majority of their durability. 
  • Honestly, who gives a shit?

Android is good, iOS is good, they're just different. Pick whichever one you like, just don't make a stupid comparison like a £99 android device against the latest iPhone and expect to be taken seriously. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Honestly, who gives a shit?

Android is good, iOS is good, they're just different. Pick whichever one you like, just don't make a stupid comparison like a £99 android device against the latest iPhone and expect to be taken seriously.

You do realise this is a forum, which has a primary goal of starting discussions,  just because you don't care doesn't mean others don't.  

For a hell of a lot of people,
    Phones are an important element of their life, its the one thing they use more than anything else  and is key for contact, interaction, entertainment, and so on,  so theirs nothing wrong with having a strong opinions and discussing it. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11516
    Danny1969 said:

There's more money in selling me a phone than not selling me one.  Unless phones start coming with a lot more storage than they currently have (at a sensible price) then I'm buying one with an SD slot.  I'm also buying one with a replaceable battery because I'd like to be able to keep a phone for 5 years and a battery isn't going to last that long.

I don't go round putting my phone in water.  I'd rather have storage and the ability to replace the battery, (and a headphone socket) than have a waterproof phone.  I'd also like it a millimetre or two thicker to allow a bigger battery

It probably won't be Samsung or HTC because they seem to be trying to rip off crApple but the beauty of Android is that there is enough choice of phones that someone somewhere will make one with the features I want.