Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ios vs Android.....

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    crunchman said:
    Danny1969 said:

SD cards ? not on any phone for much longer I would have thought as A : it's hard to make a splash proof phone with any slots at all and B most manufactuers are realising (like IBM did years ago) that there's more money in storing your data than selling you hardware. 
    There's more money in selling me a phone than not selling me one.  Unless phones start coming with a lot more storage than they currently have (at a sensible price) then I'm buying one with an SD slot.  I'm also buying one with a replaceable battery because I'd like to be able to keep a phone for 5 years and a battery isn't going to last that long.

I don't go round putting my phone in water.  I'd rather have storage and the ability to replace the battery, (and a headphone socket) than have a waterproof phone.  I'd also like it a millimetre or two thicker to allow a bigger battery

It probably won't be Samsung or HTC because they seem to be trying to rip off crApple but the beauty of Android is that there is enough choice of phones that someone somewhere will make one with the features I want.

Probably won't be Sony either as they are going the same way. I'm in agreement with you but I think phones will ditch both user replaceable batteries and SD card slots in the next 3 years 
    At the moment the iPhone is the easiest high end phone to swap batteries ... Just undo 2 pentalobe screws lift up screen there you are. On the s7 or Sony Experia it's heat gun and a right old faff 

until a a few years ago I used to carry a spare charged battery in my coat .... Now we got power banks I spose but it's not quite e same 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    crunchman said:
    Danny1969 said:

SD cards ? not on any phone for much longer I would have thought as A : it's hard to make a splash proof phone with any slots at all and B most manufactuers are realising (like IBM did years ago) that there's more money in storing your data than selling you hardware. 
    There's more money in selling me a phone than not selling me one.  Unless phones start coming with a lot more storage than they currently have (at a sensible price) then I'm buying one with an SD slot.  I'm also buying one with a replaceable battery because I'd like to be able to keep a phone for 5 years and a battery isn't going to last that long.

I don't go round putting my phone in water.  I'd rather have storage and the ability to replace the battery, (and a headphone socket) than have a waterproof phone.  I'd also like it a millimetre or two thicker to allow a bigger battery

It probably won't be Samsung or HTC because they seem to be trying to rip off crApple but the beauty of Android is that there is enough choice of phones that someone somewhere will make one with the features I want.

Probably won't be Sony either as they are going the same way. I'm in agreement with you but I think phones will ditch both user replaceable batteries and SD card slots in the next 3 years 
    At the moment the iPhone is the easiest high end phone to swap batteries ... Just undo 2 pentalobe screws lift up screen there you are. On the s7 or Sony Experia it's heat gun and a right old faff 

until a a few years ago I used to carry a spare charged battery in my coat .... Now we got power banks I spose but it's not quite e same 

I agree there. I hate non user replaceable battery. My Nexus has a glass back so is a pro job. 

My girlfriend has a s5 neo which is durable, waterproof for a short amount of time and has a user replaceable battery - but sadly has touchwiz, which is shite. it basically makes what could be a high end phone a mid level one.
  • cruxiform said:
    Regardless of the phones themselves, what wears me out is how self-righteous "Android people" can be (not necessarily this thread.. mostly). It's nothing to do with the hardware, it seems to be purely a position of "I'm not a sheep - I'm a free thinker and this is evidenced buy my buying a product from an entirely different Massive Global Corporation and that makes me morally better than you". 

I really don't get it. 

:D

Well there you are! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29130
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I agree there. I hate non user replaceable battery. My Nexus has a glass back so is a pro job. 

I changed the battery on my Nexus 4 - you don't go in through the back, you go in through the front. Undo two Torx on the bottom edge, then gently pry the chrome trim away from the body. There are a couple more screws but the whole job takes 15 minutes or so.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    ICBM said:
    Fair enough, I just don't see it as an issue for the vast majority of users.

But surely the inability to expand storage is what puts people off iPhones, and to be fair Googles own phones. 

Last holidays I took the whole of the BBC Smiley series, two films about 8 books and 45gig of music. Googles and Apples attitude is 'just download it when you need it'. Their designers obviously don't live in the real world. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have no storage issues on iPhone, only got 35gb of music on though but could have more.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    It's not just storage, it's access.

With an SD card I have access whenever I have enough power for my phone or tablet. I don't need access to any online service.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    hywelg said:
    ICBM said:
    Fair enough, I just don't see it as an issue for the vast majority of users.

But surely the inability to expand storage is what puts people off iPhones, and to be fair Googles own phones. 
    I think it puts some people off. Depends on your data plan; as I only ever use a work-provided SIM I "need" a fair bit of storage - basically my entire Spotify library. So when I bought myself a phone, an internal SD slot was very important to me.

To people with more generous data plans I can see that it's less important, especially if they mostly stay in 4G areas.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11516
    You can always end up out of coverage though.

It also eats more battery to stream music than it does to play it from an SD card or internal memory.
  • Am I the only one who just puts all the music they want on their phone, in mp3s?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11516
    Am I the only one who just puts all the music they want on their phone, in mp3s?
    No, you are not.  It's the capacity that you need to do this that is the issue that is being discussed though.

The cheapest iPhone with enough storage capacity to make that feasible (64GB) is an SE model which costs £429.  I could live with the 4" screen that comes with but a lot of people couldn't.  If you do want something with a bigger screen then you are looking at a 128GB 6S at £599.  Either way it's a lot of money for a phone with a poor battery life where you are locked into iTunes when you can buy a perfectly functional Android phone for £150 and get a 64GB micro SD card for £15.

I'd rather have £400 to spend on a guitar, or to put towards taking my daughters on a nice holiday to Florida than spend it on a phone.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7708
    where you are locked into iTunes 
    For music? You're not - I haven't accessed music via iTunes or the default music app for a couple of years
    Red ones are better. 
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    I've just gone back to Android. Massively better. The interface is much better designed in pretty much every respect.

1) You can click into the middle of a word to edit a typo.
    You can do that in iOS too.
    How? Tapping in the middle of a word doesn't put the cursor there.
    No, but dragging your finger to it does.
    That doesn't work either.

You have to hold your finger where you want the cursor.

Appalling UI design. Utterly unintuitive.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    Sporky said:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73026
    hywelg said:

Really? I've never heard a single person mention it before.

What seems to put people off iPhones is a kind of reverse Apple fanboy-ism, as far as I can see. Obviously not everyone, and obviously there are valid reasons why you might want to do something with your phone which the iPhone won't support, but I don't think these things are of any relevance to the vast majority of users. Most of the users of either system could use the other without noticing any difference in functionality once they got past the different interface, I expect.

One minor thing that irritates my about the iPhone is that you can't Bluetooth files to another device (as far as I know - that may be user error though!). I'm not sure if that's an issue for most users either. I now just use Dropbox.

As already said, both are good. But unlike the computers where the snobbery seems to be mostly Apple vs the rest, for phones its the other way round. I'm not sure why.

Sporky said:

You must be doing it wrong, it seems totally natural to me :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10533
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    I've just gone back to Android. Massively better. The interface is much better designed in pretty much every respect.

I normally hold and drag to where it needs to be when correcting text but that's actually not very often as the Siri voice recognition is superb to the point I rarely bother typing. I expect the Android one is as well it's just a lot of people try it a couple of times, it gets it wrong and they leave it at that but if you perceive it's a fantastic tool. Like having a real PA to schedule meetings, reply to texts, find notes, play a specific album or song, go to Youtube / other website  and play specific  song etc. One of the real marvels of modern tech that few people use to their advantage. 

Like anything though people like what they are used to. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

You must be doing it wrong, it seems totally natural to me .
    Surely the natural way to put the cursor in a particular position is to tap in that position?

It's certainly the established standard way to do it - with a mouse in any OS I know of, you click where you want the cursor.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7708
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:
    ICBM said:
    Sporky said:

It's not though is it - you're bing wilfully obtuse, maybe because it's just not exactly the same as you are used to.

A word typed wrongly that has been picked up as wrong gets a red squiggle underneath - tapping that selects the word and presents alternatives. Or holding on the word inserts the cursor where pressed.

To be consistent with this, it is holding on any word (underlined or not) that inserts the cursor.

My finger aim isn't that good so I often end up touching and 'scrolling' to the right point.

It's demonstrably not appalling  UI - it is used my millions of people every day without needing to think about it. 

I don't know how it works on Android - but I bet I'd get used to it in a day. And vice versa. 

Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:

It's not though is it - you're bing wilfully obtuse, maybe because it's just not exactly the same as you are used to.
    So why doesn't any other OS do that? You click where you want the cursor. It is a thoroughly established approach, and only iOS does it differently.

I'll let the "wilfully obtuse" dig slide, 'cos I know Apple sheeple get very defensive about faults in Apple kit. ;)
    TimmyO said:

It's demonstrably not appalling  UI - it is used my millions of people every day without needing to think about it. 

And that's a logical fallacy. Millions of people use these every day:

http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00VZRtuJrEOpoM/Pull-and-Push-Door-Handle-On-Plate-SS-Handle-On-Plate-PLQDT007-.jpg

But that's still bad UI - it's a pull handle with "push" written on it. A push handle is a flat plate.