SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Maybach Cherry Lane Lester

What's Hot
jesonejesone Frets: 64
edited January 2017 in Guitars £
So I have two Maybach Lesters but I need to let one go to finance a Friedman Mini DS. Here we have the Maybach Cherry Lane '58 purchased from Gitarren Total in Switzerland. It was handpicked by them for its tone and outstanding top and cost over £2k to get it as a result.

£1400 collected from Leicester and will post at cost.

4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jesonejesone Frets: 64
    Bump

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump
  • What's the weight on it?
    Trades for a Mini Jubilee combo/ Mint Black Schecter Custom shop (2k guitar) with upgraded Lindy Fralin pickups?
  • Hi 
    To be honest I was not familiar with the brand until I saw yours here and very nice it looks too.

What I am struggling to get my head around is looking at their website they are two piece bodies, with a laminate veneer flame rather than solid top, so similar to 80's 90's Japanese builds or a standard les paul but with a lesser solid top.

do they sort of punch way above their weight or just way better made or sound amazing. I am interested to learn a bit more about them and where they sit in the scheme of things.

Also an idea of weight for my old shoulders ha ha

The Maybach guitars have a great reputation and are probably better known on the continent rather than here. They are extremely well built and do not have veneered tops, that is a solid maple cap there under that aged nitro finish. 

The late Mike Caswell reviewed one rather thoroughly here 

What's the weight on it?
    Trades for a Mini Jubilee combo/ Mint Black Schecter Custom shop (2k guitar) with upgraded Lindy Fralin pickups?
    No trades I'm afraid. I already have a mini Jube head myself.
    Final price drop to £1300 cash & collected.
  • Did you manage to get a weight for it?

Mike Casswell could make anything sound good. I depped for him on a few occasions and always felt the pressure to play well. Will miss him.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'll pop it on the scales for you when I get home tonight but I can tell you its very nice and quite light. I'd guess under 8lbs.
    My bathroom scales tell me it's 7lbs 4ozs.
  • I haven't been here for a while but have been disturbed to see the latest listings on the Maybach site claiming that the tops on these guitars are in fact laminate!!?  Look for yourself...

https://maybach-guitars.de/en/a-guitar/lester-series/lester-cherry-lane-58-aged

I presume they have downgraded the specification as I was always told they were solid too - as many people think such as the seller on this thread.

They hopefuly WERE solid tops at the time but they are definitely NOW listing them as laminate.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    Does it really matter either way ?
    The fact that it is Maple capping on cherry is laminate anyway technically speaking but more to the point it never seems to have made a huge difference to all the laminate top semi 335 types .
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5339
    I haven't been here for a while but have been disturbed to see the latest listings on the Maybach site claiming that the tops on these guitars are in fact laminate!!?  Look for yourself...

https://maybach-guitars.de/en/a-guitar/lester-series/lester-cherry-lane-58-aged

I presume they have downgraded the specification as I was always told they were solid too - as many people think such as the seller on this thread.

They hopefuly WERE solid tops at the time but they are definitely NOW listing them as laminate.

is this the sound of an axe grinding
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    It matters at their pricepoint I would say !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 379
    Mine is def not laminate, miles ahead of the number of 80s, 90s and 00's I've owned , but we do like a Gibson on this channel:)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5113
    jesone said:
    My bathroom scales tell me it's 7lbs 4ozs.
    The lightest Les Paul ever?   ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    Weight relieved 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5113
    Dominic said:
    Weight relieved 
    Or dodgy scales  ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good news is despite their website advertising they are all laminate (which I presume they will change now I have had the discussion with them?) they reassure me they are solid??!  Obviously I was concerned because past customers could literally demand a refund on tens of thousands of pounds of guitars.  So I am certainly hoping there is nothing dodgy going on.  Bizarre for their website however to have them all listed as laminate - but if you look at their Facebook page they dont speak much English so maybe they just literally didn't notice.
  • Dominic said:
    Does it really matter either way ?
    The fact that it is Maple capping on cherry is laminate anyway technically speaking but more to the point it never seems to have made a huge difference to all the laminate top semi 335 types .
    Hi Dominic.  Yes it matters an enormous amount as the cost of solid flamed maple is really high.  You can make many veneered topped guitars to just the one solid top at the same cost.  If you buy a product it must be as described or you are breaking the law - fraud.  335's are specc'd as laminate so that is what you expect.

There was a guitar brand (that I won't mention) that used to sell acoustic guitars as all solid, who we found were not in fact!   When dealing with the EQ on a guitar we found the guitars were laminated - big name too.

In the market today there is a brand that titles its acoustic guitars "AS" with knowledge that S normally stands for "solid" and "AS" is regarded as "all solid" but again, the sides on their guitars are laminate but the AS works well in the marketing as many will presume the guitar is all solid.

In this case I just cannot believe they are laminate despite their specification on the site saying they are  - it would just be too horrific for all concerned.  I think you will find that since raising their attention to it they will now update their website!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom