SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Maybach Cherry Lane Lester

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• matonematone Frets: 211
    Suppose much can be lost in translation ,a maple cap is a sort of lamination I would think ! The joys of language !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5340
    Dominic said:
    Does it really matter either way ?
    The fact that it is Maple capping on cherry is laminate anyway technically speaking but more to the point it never seems to have made a huge difference to all the laminate top semi 335 types .
    Hi Dominic.  Yes it matters an enormous amount as the cost of solid flamed maple is really high.  You can make many veneered topped guitars to just the one solid top at the same cost.  If you buy a product it must be as described or you are breaking the law - fraud.  335's are specc'd as laminate so that is what you expect.

There was a guitar brand (that I won't mention) that used to sell acoustic guitars as all solid, who we found were not in fact!   When dealing with the EQ on a guitar we found the guitars were laminated - big name too.

In the market today there is a brand that titles its acoustic guitars "AS" with knowledge that S normally stands for "solid" and "AS" is regarded as "all solid" but again, the sides on their guitars are laminate but the AS works well in the marketing as many will presume the guitar is all solid.

In this case I just cannot believe they are laminate despite their specification on the site saying they are  - it would just be too horrific for all concerned.  I think you will find that since raising their attention to it they will now update their website!
    and hes back in the room
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23678
    "Laminated" is a strange choice of word anyway, I'd have said "veneered" if it was a thin piece of figured maple over a cheaper slab of plain maple.  To me "laminated", in a guitar context, is what you get in an ES-335 or acoustic. 
  • jesonejesone Frets: 64
    It's a translation issue. The guitars have a solid maple cap and are weight relieved.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matone said:
    Suppose much can be lost in translation ,a maple cap is a sort of lamination I would think ! The joys of language !
    In the guitar industry you would never ever refer to a solid maple cap as a laminate because a maple cap is such an important selling point and the word laminate is used all the time to describe non solid wood tops.  I have no doubt however,  as I have mentioned, it was an unfortunate typo which I presume they will change now they can see the confusion.
  • RichardsGuitarsRichardsGuitars Frets: 260
    edited January 2017
    Here is an example of one of the few top end Gibson Les Pauls I have ever heard of that actually promoted the fact it had laminate rather than a solid maple cap....

http://http//www.lespaulforum.com/slub6/article.html

It was called "The Les Paul" from 1976 and was all laminate (top, back and sides with a mahogany core).  Kind of interesting....