Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Raising funds - how should we?

What's Hot

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    I'd just go with voluntary donations, with a good amount of publicity about how to donate etc.

As soon as you start with some kind of subscription to post classifieds, or restricting PMs etc then in addition to granting the access (which can be automated), you'd need to un-grant the access after 1 year - unless you want a payment to be for a lifetime.

It would be impractical to restrict PMs - would you really want to restrict the entire PM system, only to make the classifieds a pay-area? If not, then how do you prevent people simply observing the username posted in the classifieds area and PMing or contacting by some other means?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    as a starter for ten id suggest a message to every members inbox giving your PayPal account details. Request a voluntary donation, as small as £1 and as large as they may feel useful.

Thereafter, if that doesn't work I'd relook at the problem and come up with some advertising/ subscription option. Point one buys you time, point two thereafter can be implemented in a more relaxed manner and with the clarity a lack of pressure brings.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • 2 or 3 different levels of voluntary membership... like TGP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27885
    More interesting comment.

I've always tried to raise funds by offering something (t-shirts, mugs, calendars) in return.  Rather than just saying "give us your money".  Interesting number of people saying that they didn't want a calendar, so didn't pay/donate (which was slightly missing the point).  Some donated anyway, recognising that the calendar sale was actually a fund-raising in disguise.

As I said on the original thread, selling £600-worth of calendars was much harder work then selling £10,000 worth of guitars.

We've run raffles for donated prizes before (ThorpyFx being a generous donor), and even that has been a hard sell to get the donations in.

Putting it another way, raising £100 in donations probably costs >£200 of my time.

And it's usually the same people who support these efforts.  I'd guess that 50 members (out of 7,500) have contributed 90% of the funds we've ever raised.  That doesn't sit well with my idea of "fairness".
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• As for admin time, since it's come up a few times...I'd guess that if we were to put a value on the admin time equal to our salaries, we'd be looking at > £100k since we opened the doors. There's no way we'd ever be able to support that, so we just don't get paid ;)

However, it's worth noting that our direct hosting costs have increased by about 20% thanks to the currency crash after the Brexit vote. We're not immune to it, either...

EDIT: With the suggestion of paying for access to the classifieds...it's all well and good everybody in this discussion saying they'd be happy to pay, but...you're all regulars. We rely on the classifieds to bring in new members (if you're not growing, you're shrinking), and putting a barrier in front of that - even if it's not immediate, but rather "start off for free, and pay if you like it" - many people see that and click away, so it's almost certainly going to hit that growth.
    The way I see it, what is the benefit to this growth if it costs you more in bandwidth and time? Surely growth is only benificial if it helps pay for itself which in this case it's not. I don't cone here because of the size of the community, rather the quality, which is why I no longer enjoyed the TDPRI when it got much busier.

I think the existence of this thread points to the fact that you need a paywall, surely we've figured from internet piracy that 90% of people usually take the free option unless literally forced otherwise. 

So we're back to: 
    Ads or paid classifieds access. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27885

So we're back to: 
    Ads or paid classifieds access. 
    And ...
    (1) our stated commitment to being ad-free,  
    (2) adblockers
    ... Takes away one of those options. 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
    edited December 2016
    Personally then, givenTTonys comments, I'd just implement a mandatory £1-5 yearly membership for all members, maybe with a 30 day trial period. If you've got 7500 members you could probably raise at least 3500 at £1 memberships. But is that enough to cover costs? 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I'd happily pay 2-3% for each item I sell through here. Its so hassle free its worth it.

Alternately put @ICBM answers to tech problems behind a paywall !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17865
    tFB Trader
    Personally then, givenTTonys comments, I'd just implement a mandatory £1-5 yearly membership for all members, maybe with a 30 day trial period. If you've got 7500 members you could probably raise at least 3500 at £1 memberships. But is that enough to cover costs? 

That would result in dead site within 6 months.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Payment has to be voluntary and there should be no paywalls to classifieds. I'm one of the people who joined for classifieds access back on MR and now I post here regularly... the conversion rate is probably small but I doubt I'd have signed up to the site if classifieds was via a paywall.

On basschat you can buy in the classifieds without paying, the sellers pay the fees to list. If there was a paywall to contact sellers I wouldn't have used it tbh. Not all contact will translate into completed deals so the value for money isn't there for 'opportunity' - there are loads of places to buy guitar gear already at no cost to the buyer.

Either a Wikipedia style yearly or biannual funds drive, or a monthly low cost donation setup via PayPal (if it can actually be done I'd rather give £1-2 a month and just leave it running).

A direct PM campaign with a supporting sticky thread is probably better than just a sticky selling item of the month etc..

Or a mix of all of those, plus competition raffles.

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Could you not run an affiliate scheme with someone.

Say I need some strings I put a fretboard code in and you get a small kickback for sending me there?

Could you have a fretboard store which stocked tshirts/pick/strings etc?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Sell Frets .. I'd buy them ...

How much for 100,000?

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

How much for 100,000?

Believe it or not, I did suggest this way-back-when. It wasn't well-received, and rightly so (I do come up with some silly ideas sometimes).
    <space for hire>
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited December 2016
    TTony said:
    More interesting comment.

I've always tried to raise funds by offering something (t-shirts, mugs, calendars) in return.  Rather than just saying "give us your money".  Interesting number of people saying that they didn't want a calendar, so didn't pay/donate (which was slightly missing the point).  Some donated anyway, recognising that the calendar sale was actually a fund-raising in disguise.

As I said on the original thread, selling £600-worth of calendars was much harder work then selling £10,000 worth of guitars.

We've run raffles for donated prizes before (ThorpyFx being a generous donor), and even that has been a hard sell to get the donations in.

Putting it another way, raising £100 in donations probably costs >£200 of my time.

And it's usually the same people who support these efforts.  I'd guess that 50 members (out of 7,500) have contributed 90% of the funds we've ever raised.  That doesn't sit well with my idea of "fairness".
    Are you being disingenuous for a specific reason?  The £10k of guitars were advertised here, but they didn't sell here, a fact already evidenced and presumably acknowledged. 

I'll ask one more time. A further none specific answer?  I'll get the message loud and clear, you won't hear from me again on this issue. 

Break it down..what does this forum need to be self supporting without outside contributions, is the £7000 per annum hinted at above accurate? 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27072
    edited December 2016

Break it down..what does this forum need to be self supporting without outside contributions? 

We're genuinely not being cagey here - it's kind of hard to pin down, and somewhat irrelevant. There are things we've got planned for the next 12 months which will (potentially) ramp up the cost quite a bit, but also potentially pull money in. How we go about those things will kinda depend on how much money we've got.

Chicken, meet egg.

As for "those things", I'm being deliberately cagey on that point because we don't want to promise stuff that we can't deliver.

That's potentially another way to do it, actually...a Kickstarter for keeping the lights on for another year, with the extra features as stretch goals.
    <space for hire>
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:

How much for 100,000?

Believe it or not, I did suggest this way-back-when. It wasn't well-received, and rightly so (I do come up with some silly ideas sometimes).
    Being serious I'd take the Wiki approach and ask for donations and maybe issue a donor badge. If you value the forum make a donation.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Honestly the donor badge thing is ok I think... I totally understand not wanting people to be able to buy 'status' but I literally only care to know if someone is a trade poster (I don't think we yet have an issue with shill posters, but we might eventually).

• Break it down..what does this forum need to be self supporting without outside contributions? 

We're genuinely not being cagey here - it's kind of hard to pin down, and somewhat irrelevant. There are things we've got planned for the next 12 months which will (potentially) ramp up the cost quite a bit, but also potentially pull money in. How we go about those things will kinda depend on how much money we've got.

Chicken, meet egg.

As for "those things", I'm being deliberately cagey on that point because we don't want to promise stuff that we can't deliver.

That's potentially another way to do it, actually...a Kickstarter for keeping the lights on for another year, with the extra features as stretch goals.
    Then not really irrelevant if the implementation of future plans rely on a quantification of current funding. Entirely relevant one would have thought? 

Keeping the lights on is obviously the primary focus, maybe a re-think and consolidation of that, before any expansionary thoughts?  
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410

Break it down..what does this forum need to be self supporting without outside contributions? 

Chicken, meet egg.

Ok put it another way: whats the 1) "have to pay" costs and the 2) "want to do" costs? We need some kind of idea how much it costs.

And, if your hourly rate is such that £100 of funding in, costs you £200, then you need to recognise that the £200 figure isn't a "real" one (since you didn't actually charge it, and take the money from website funds??) or that there's better/more efficient ways to do things.
  • Go for the donation angle with a doner badge for each giver first. Someone who donates a minimum of £5 to the site is more likely to be trustworthy when it comes to buying and selling, giving added reassurance in the classifieds.