Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I just started going through my CD collection, fishing out things that I have either forgotten about or wouldn't normally/frequently listen to. Then I decided I would rip a load of them and put them on my phone to take on the train. I hope to discover/re-discover something this way. It's a real mix. Some things like Arctic Monkeys, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Franz Ferdinand, The Black Keys, Band of Skulls etc and then I've got things like Firewind and Iron Maiden, and then some stuff like the most recent Newton Faulkner album, some old and some new Goo Goo Dolls stuff, older MUSE albums... Just a real odd mix. Should be interesting. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Toy dolls. That brings back some memories. Fisticuffs in Frederick Street was my fave as a kid. Le Butcherettes today for me:
    Some old skool hair metal... Firehouse. Check it: 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Lonely The Brave - The Days War Victory Edition. SO FUCKING GOOD. Easily the album of the year so far. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Just received the new James Taylor album (pre-ordered from amazon). Quick wizz thru the intros to each song with a desktop PC suggests his acoustic guitar is quite to the fore and most of the songs are laid back. Nice pix on CD packaging. Band practice tonight so won't hear it properly till tomorrow.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    edited June 2015
    I'm struggling to get much done this afternoon. But have had some Bambi Molesters on which is pleasing. If I describe them as a Croation surf band it does sound like some kind of novelty outfit but they are surely amongst the finest modern surf influenced largely instrumental bands going. Major guitar skills. Peter Buck guests on some of their stuff BTW. 

Anyhow, here's a clip. I think the choon is actually a traditional Cuban folk song

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
    Just received the new James Taylor album (pre-ordered from amazon). Quick wizz thru the intros to each song with a desktop PC suggests his acoustic guitar is quite to the fore and most of the songs are laid back. Nice pix on CD packaging. Band practice tonight so won't hear it properly till tomorrow.
    Listened to it before going to sleep last night. It's all pleasant enough, but unlike Hourglass or October Road there weren't any tracks that immediately stuck out as being totally wonderful. And a lot of it had a slightly country feel which tbh I can't say I like much, but it's probably down to the rhythm section that it feels that way. Blame Steve Gadd & Jimmy Johnson. Anyway I'm going to listen to it again soon to see if it grows on me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Alice Cooper. I don't know what sparked a sudden interest but I borrowed all of the albums my dad has (including, but not limited to, Hey Stoopid, The Eyes of Alice Cooper, both Welcome To My Nightmare and Welcome 2 My Nightmare, The Last Temptation and Along Came a Spider)

OK, admittedly, most of it is 'recent'. I've heard some of the hits too obviously, like Poison, School's Out, Feed My Frankenstein etc. but so far I'm enjoying Along Came a Spider. Nice concept 'shock rock' album. :) 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Saw that the guys from the musicisum website had posted a Spotify playlist that looked ok so thought I'd give it a go. Really enjoying it!

Some pretty heavy stuff on it, but also some jazzy, some electronic etc.Overall pretty diverse but all good. There's a couple of tracks from Philip Sayce on it - never heard of him before today but really, really like the sound of his stuff! I'll be getting myself a couple of his CDs I think.

Andy
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    Today I've been listening to the first mixes of my bands new album.

It's weird how songs you weren't previously all that keen on take on a totally different guise when 1. They're recorded and mixed and 2. You don't have to think about playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    edited June 2015
    Rho

This is basically what I would want to sound like if I could.  They are my most favourite band ever.  But no one's fucking heard of them.,  So... for one post only, I give you Rho.  Just mentioning it in case anyone else actually likes them.  {Oh, and the track should be called "Day Into Morning" but that's just me being pedantic.]

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    This Trans-Siberian Orchestra medley featuring Sleep / Help! (Beatles cover) and Child Unseen.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7318
    CHVRCHES, because it's pretty much a perfect record as far as synth pop goes. I love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    Place of Skulls - With Vision

Scott "Wino" Weinrich has been in so many bands, there's a lot of his stuff I haven't explored but everything I have heard, I like.  This one also features (and is led by) Victor Griffin of Pentagram. 
    Listened to it before going to sleep last night. It's all pleasant enough, but unlike Hourglass or October Road there weren't any tracks that immediately stuck out as being totally wonderful. And a lot of it had a slightly country feel which tbh I can't say I like much, but it's probably down to the rhythm section that it feels that way. Blame Steve Gadd & Jimmy Johnson. Anyway I'm going to listen to it again soon to see if it grows on me.
    I've started to like track 5 a lot more than the others, and track 1 the least
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I cannot get enough of this song right now!

Perfect suns out tune

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    GavHaus said:
    CHVRCHES, because it's pretty much a perfect record. I love it.
    Fixed @GavHaus
    Stop crying, start buying
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7318
    Moss said:
    GavHaus said:
    CHVRCHES, because it's pretty much a perfect record. I love it.
    Fixed @GavHaus

well yes
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Deacon Blue Real Gone Kid live!!!   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom