Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can you remember the moment of guitar playing that made you want to play

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
the one bit of guitar that really made me want to take up playing was on a live recording on the Friday Night Rock Show in 1983. It was Stevie Ray Vaughan live at Reading, he kicked of with a fiery version of Testify and I just though 'Man, that sounds so cool, I wanna play guitar!'
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Opening chords to "Good Times, Bad Times" Led Zeppelin I... I was 13, I'd got a s/h copy of the album and had been strumming badly on a classical guitar since I was 6. That was the moment of "I want an electric guitar"
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Like so many it was this. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Got told 'if you spent as much time with a real guitar as you do with that toy, you'd be excellent' when playing the old Guitar Hero game about ten years ago - after a few false starts I want to thank my dear old dad for inadvertently causing me to spend thousands of hours more playing the real guitar than the toy one, and spending hundreds more on gear. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited December 2016
    Voodoo Chile intro, Beat It solo and Smooth by Santana are the main things that stick out to me. I've never been able to get a strat to sound how I want it to though despite thinking Voodoo Chile is one of the best rock tones.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4498
    I asked my mum and dad, if I could learn to play the drums. They told me to go forth.

So I chose guitar as they (can) have a volume control. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Brian May at Live Aid.  Beat that!

(Combined with the fact I had just got a summer job and had money burning a hole in my pocket for the first time. Sadly I knew nothing and got a crummy Eros acoustic from a secondhand place.)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    edited December 2016
    Brian May at Live Aid for me too.
    Queen wiped the floor with everyone that day and it changed my life.
    Think of all the weddings that would have been slightly less shreddy had it not happened.
    Makes you think.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32390
    The James Bond theme. 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    Hearing Sultans of Swing on the radio when it first came out. I'd already got into Deep Purple and AC/DC via my older brother but there was something about the almost lyrical quality of Knopflers playing on that single that made me decide that I should learn to play guitar. Think I would have been 14 at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It was slash the guns n roses lyi tour in the early 90s in Paris, I then had a dream I was playing guitar in from of my class room and was really good,  that was all it took for me :) 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Like so many it was this. 

ha
    Absolutely... we must be about the same Generation
  • Queen's Greatest hits on an old C90 cassette in my dad's car (a green Hillman Hunter for those of a certain age). With a bundle of other stuff on the B-side, but the first track was Layla - that intro and Brian May's sound are the reason I wanted to pick it up.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Probably hearing the sweet on the radio, back in the 70's. I tried to learn, then, but didn't take to it.
     I didn't actually start until years later, when I started writing lyrics, and thought, hmm.. if I could play guitar, I could turn these lyrics into songs..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Listening to Lightin Hopkins and Blind Snooks Eaglin.
  • I had a schoolfriend, James Oliver, who was (and still is) a great player, Once he'd shown me a few basics I was hooked. The Hendrix/Clapton/Moore/Malmsteen/Vai/Gilbert,...etc.etc.etc things all came after I'd started learning.
  • Coming home from high school to see Slash playing sweet child on VH1 CLASSIC
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

An acoustic guitar with two strings.

Around age 13 or 14, after a steady diet of 24 Carat Purple, I happened to visit a mate one day, and he had an old acoustic with two strings on it (lower wound strings). He had worked out the notes for the opening riff to Smoke On The Water. I then had a go and got it after a couple of tries. There was no Aha! moment, no thinking about it, and no decision - I simply became a guitarist at that moment and had to wait until xmas to get my own.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A5D5E5A5D5E5 Frets: 307
    edited December 2016
    Nothing to do with a moment of guitar playing for me.  I started playing because I fancied a girl called who I knew played the guitar.  Turns out I liked playing the guitar but didn't really like the girl.
  • My mate Luke had a crappy strat copy that he tastefully refinished with Hammarite (I shit you not!). It didn't interest me that much until he got a Custom Sound Colt amp which had DISTORTION! Suddenly he started to sound like that cool Lucozade advert (you KNOW which one) and I was hooked.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30209
    My brother got to stop going to piano lessons if he took up guitar. That sounded like the best deal ever so I was in.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."