Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Robbie Robertson Signature Strat.......wow!

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2527
Blimey, these aren't cheap, and why does that truss rod fillet look like its been painted on like the MIM Strats?? I once had the dubious distinction of momentarily paying the most for a Custom Shop guitar thus far in 1992 according to the Arbiter/Fender rep back then...but these are in another league. Pretty all the same....

https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/fender-custom-shop-masterbuilt-todd-krause-robbie-robertson-last-waltz-stratocaster-bronze
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    that is an extraodrinary amount of money i suspect the very ltd quantity has an awful lot to do with their perceived value..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:
    that is an extraodrinary amount of money i suspect the very ltd quantity has an awful lot to do with their perceived value..

It's limited... but not as limited as some Fender CS editions in recent years (there have been quite a few that were just 30 pieces worldwide... for a lot less money). I guess the pricing is mainly down to Fender's guesstimate that there are at least 40 superfans that have enough cash.

To me, that's crazy cash for a Strat.

• IIRC the SRV Lenny tribute was similarly priced, and I am sure they sold all of those!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited December 2016
    IIRC the SRV Lenny tribute was similarly priced, and I am sure they sold all of those!

The original CS SRV model was a lot of cash at the time (but probably a fair bit less than this one. We're they about £8k?)... now... they go for a lot of money second hand. They were a good investment for the lucky few.

The CS EC Blackie was about £12,700. Not sure what they sell for now.

• PS I just had to google who Robbie Robertson is. :D
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    PS I just had to google who Robbie Robertson is. :D
    Yup, certainly not the first player who springs to mind when thinking about Strats.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • PS I just had to google who Robbie Robertson is.
    In that case... I'm guessing you're not the target market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    IIRC the SRV Lenny tribute was similarly priced, and I am sure they sold all of those!

The original CS SRV model was a lot of cash at the time (but probably a fair bit less than this one. We're they about £8k?)... now... they go for a lot of money second hand. They were a good investment for the lucky few.

the original #1 SRV Strat was around 8K around 2004, which probably equates to 12K now anyway - but that is one of the most iconic guitars from a well known player - Can't recall how much Lenny was
  • PS I just had to google who Robbie Robertson is.
    In that case... I'm guessing you're not the target market.

I'm not the target market for any £13K strat. Unless it was a David Bowie/Rick Parfitt/George Michael/Carrie Fisher/Ronnie Corbett sig.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    Strat54 said:
    Blimey, these aren't cheap, and why does that truss rod fillet look like its been painted on like the MIM Strats?
    I believe that Robbie Robertson over-painted the truss rod plug, which has been replicated by the Custom Shop.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IIRC the SRV Lenny tribute was similarly priced, and I am sure they sold all of those!

the original #1 SRV Strat was around 8K around 2004, which probably equates to 12K now anyway - but that is one of the most iconic guitars from a well known player - Can't recall how much Lenny was

Yes, I think the Lenny cost more than the #1... but IIRC didn't sell out as quickly (I guess because it wasn't the guitar that people mainly associated with SRV)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    I'm not a Robbie Robertson fan and certainly won't be buying one, but I think it's a fantastic looking guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    mgaw said:

It's limited... but not as limited as some Fender CS editions in recent years (there have been quite a few that were just 30 pieces worldwide... for a lot less money). I guess the pricing is mainly down to Fender's guesstimate that there are at least 40 superfans that have enough cash.

I'd agree, stupid money. I wonder how much profit they're making on these? I'd guess at least £7-8k, allowing for what they're paying the builder and presumably RR for his signature and permission. 

To put the price in perspective I had a limited edition Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs CS Strat at one time. Only 100 were built by Fender. It had a custom profile neck and came with a shed load of extras like cds and a limited edition Fulltone Dejavibe pedal. Cost me £1200 new from Peter Cooks. 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Wow, I'm a Strat man, but that's a ludicrous price for a bolted/screwed together guitar. Fender are just taking the piss and I'm certain that it won't play/sound any better than any other sub £4000 CS Strat and who cares if there's only 3 in this country.
  • Octafish said:
    Wow, I'm a Strat man, but that's a ludicrous price for a bolted/screwed together guitar. Fender are just taking the piss and I'm certain that it won't play/sound any better than any other sub £4000 CS Strat and who cares if there's only 3 in this country.

Well it has been bolted together, but prior to that they have disassembled the original, measured it all up, profiled the neck, noted where all the defects are, and then recreated all that as exactly as possible. So you are paying for all that activity, creativity and care, rather than "a Strat". Whether that is worth it is another matter, but more has gone into this than goes into a typical Custom Shop guitar.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    What a joke! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    mgaw said:

I'd agree, stupid money. I wonder how much profit they're making on these? I'd guess at least £7-8k, allowing for what they're paying the builder and presumably RR for his signature and permission. 

To put the price in perspective I had a limited edition Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs CS Strat at one time. Only 100 were built by Fender. It had a custom profile neck and came with a shed load of extras like cds and a limited edition Fulltone Dejavibe pedal. Cost me £1200 new from Peter Cooks. 

Yep... I had one of those. To be fair... I think that was a blow-out price - much lower than the original price. I guess Fender had some remainder stock they needed to sell. But, as you say, incredible value with the extras.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Octafish said:

Well it has been bolted together, but prior to that they have disassembled the original, measured it all up, profiled the neck, noted where all the defects are, and then recreated all that as exactly as possible. So you are paying for all that activity, creativity and care, rather than "a Strat". Whether that is worth it is another matter, but more has gone into this than goes into a typical Custom Shop guitar.
    All of which doesn't take that much time/effort for a major guitar designer/builder such as Fender, they put quite a bit of effort into R&Ding the original MIJ Strats from vintage 50-60s models. It's just two bits of wood and some electrics.

You can buy a brand new car for that sort of money. Ok a different scale of economy, but think of all the engineering/development that has gone into that. Probably more in R&D in the dashboard than in that whole guitar, but I suppose if Fender can liberate that amount of money from willing punters then good luck to them I guess.
  • Well, from a marketing perspective, the price has got us all talking about it, and we will not forget the "Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt (Todd Krause) Robbie Robertson Last Waltz Stratocaster Bronze" in a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 375
    edited December 2016
    Seems a bit daft to me

Coincidentaly I was watching the BBC4 rerun of the Dylan movie No Direction Home and thinking that Robbie's tone with a Tele and some kind of tweed Fender amp in 65 or 66 was huge and brilliant
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!