Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Robbie Robertson Signature Strat.......wow!

What's Hot

Comments

• Price aside, i think it's a fabulous looking thing.

As for the price, this is surely more easily justified than a 10k Gibson - at least this has a direct cost of something Fender doesn't normally do (the finish). 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:

You can buy a brand new car for that sort of money. Ok a different scale of economy, but think of all the engineering/development that has gone into that. Probably more in R&D in the dashboard than in that whole guitar, but I suppose if Fender can liberate that amount of money from willing punters then good luck to them I guess.

@Octafish As an aside, my mate went to the Hyundai headquarters in Korea and they were dismantling an S-Class Mercedes with scalpels to discover its secrets!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it's an iconic guitar, price is stupid by any standard. 
    But if I won the lottery I would buy it. He's one of my biggest influences. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    All that money and they can't even put the middle pickup in the right place, I ask yer..

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm not a Robbie Robertson fan and certainly won't be buying one, but I think it's a fantastic looking guitar.

Agreed. Very pretty in an understated way...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love Robbie Robertson - just started reading his autobiography 'Testimony' - which I got for Christmas.

The guitar is a lot of money - but certainly is an iconic image from The Last Waltz. Like all the other tribute models, they are clearly for wealthy collectors. If I had a few million in the bank, I'd buy one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I wonder how they did the finish, is it real bronze? 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    Dipped in molten bronze apparently!

Looks amazing but really silly money.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    More money than I can afford but a cool guitar and the great man makes a great sound with his...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• richardhomer said:
    If I had a few million in the bank, I'd buy one.
    Oh... so you will be buying one then, Richard.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Looks cool but needs a floyd rose to justify that kind of price.   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2016
    Octafish said:

You can buy a brand new car for that sort of money. Ok a different scale of economy, but think of all the engineering/development that has gone into that. Probably more in R&D in the dashboard than in that whole guitar, but I suppose if Fender can liberate that amount of money from willing punters then good luck to them I guess.

@Octafish As an aside, my mate went to the Hyundai headquarters in Korea and they were dismantling an S-Class Mercedes with scalpels to discover its secrets!

Ha, ha, although wasn't it Ford in the early 60s who took a Mini apart to try work out how BMC were able to sell it for so little. They could only conclude (accurately as it turned out) that BMC were in fact making a loss on every Mini sold.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    Octafish said:
    Wow, I'm a Strat man, but that's a ludicrous price for a bolted/screwed together guitar. Fender are just taking the piss and I'm certain that it won't play/sound any better than any other sub £4000 CS Strat and who cares if there's only 3 in this country.

Well it has been bolted together, but prior to that they have disassembled the original, measured it all up, profiled the neck, noted where all the defects are, and then recreated all that as exactly as possible. So you are paying for all that activity, creativity and care, rather than "a Strat". Whether that is worth it is another matter, but more has gone into this than goes into a typical Custom Shop guitar.
    They did that to the Kurt cobain jaguar too and that was nowhere near the price of this, in fact I think I could have bought 10 of the KC jags for the price of this. 

Now having said all  that I do think it's a real looker
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Was Robbie Robertson a plumber in his day job ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    capo4th said:
    Was Robbie Robertson a plumber in his day job ?
    is that because you think Fender are taking the p*ss over the price !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    Always makes me laugh when pickups are described as "hand-wound".
    Really? Someone sat there with a bobbin in one hand and a roll of wire in the other and wound the wire over 8000 times around it?

Guitar looks like shit. Literally. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2805
    Fucking ridiculous price. Some idiot will buy it no doubt and hang it on their wall. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    I love the way they are describing a dipped in bronze finish as thin and tonally transparent.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    edited December 2016
    WezV said:
    I love the way they are describing a dipped in bronze finish as thin and tonally transparent.

Presumably it is pretty thin, though, judging by the way it sinks into the ash grain.

I'm trying to remember those metallic finishes you did... was it copper?

Edit:  I just read an old(?) feature on the Fender website saying the bronze added "about 10 pounds" to the weight of the Strat!!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    I have done metal leaf in faux gold, copper, aluminium and a few others.  I have also done copper and bronze paints.   They don't really add much weight.   I can't imagine a dipped guitar would be as thin as metal leaf