2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• joneve said:
    Wow, I never thought not running for 2.5 weeks would result in so much loss of fitness. To be fair I did run once, when I realised that my heel/achilles hadn't healed sufficiently.

5 miles at lunchtime, and I am knackered. I was up to 40 miles a week, then after a few weeks of CBA and minimal running got back up to 30 miles without too much grief, before getting a bit injured.
    this is my worry with the bristol half on sunday. I've only run a handful of times in the last 2 weeks. Going for a final 7 or 8km tonight or tomorrow then just see what happens sunday. 
    You should be fine, I've done that before. I think the warmth at lunchtime was also a factor tbh. Good luck, enjoy!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1489
    joneve said:
    Wow, I never thought not running for 2.5 weeks would result in so much loss of fitness. To be fair I did run once, when I realised that my heel/achilles hadn't healed sufficiently.

5 miles at lunchtime, and I am knackered. I was up to 40 miles a week, then after a few weeks of CBA and minimal running got back up to 30 miles without too much grief, before getting a bit injured.
    this is my worry with the bristol half on sunday. I've only run a handful of times in the last 2 weeks. Going for a final 7 or 8km tonight or tomorrow then just see what happens sunday. 
    You should be fine, I've done that before. I think the warmth at lunchtime was also a factor tbh. Good luck, enjoy!
    I'm really looking forward to it. Putting pressure on myself (i.e. pushing myself) as I want to try and get sub-2 hours for my first attempt...but having had two weeks rest basically (because of my legs), I'm going to run at the 2 hour pace and see how I get on. If I do it, great, if I don't, it's something to aim for next season.
  • joneve said:
    joneve said:

I'm really looking forward to it. Putting pressure on myself (i.e. pushing myself) as I want to try and get sub-2 hours for my first attempt...but having had two weeks rest basically (because of my legs), I'm going to run at the 2 hour pace and see how I get on. If I do it, great, if I don't, it's something to aim for next season.
    That's what I did when I got back into running - did the Newport Half in March and followed the 2 hour pacer to begin with.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33904
    12th Aug: 975km + 5km = 981km.
    13th Aug: 981km + 5km = 986km.
    And another one this afternoon:

13th Aug PM: 986km + 5km = 991km.
    5km tonight. Last run before Sunday. Was properly hard work, so I'm now dreading the weekend. 
    edited September 2017
    14th Aug: 991km + 12km = 1003km.
    Long one today- she just wanted to run and run.

I've broken the 1000km mark 6 weeks early.
    Hooray!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    octatonic said:

Hooray!
    Excellent. Great effort :-)
    joneve said:
    5km tonight. Last run before Sunday. Was properly hard work, so I'm now dreading the weekend. 
    A sports massage, if not used to it, can take a few runs to feel good again. Nothing worse than the post physio run lol.

Good luck for the weekend :-)
    mcsdan said:
    joneve said:
    A sports massage, if not used to it, can take a few runs to feel good again. Nothing worse than the post physio run lol.

Good luck for the weekend :-)
    This makes me feel a bit better then. Cheers. Just the 10,000 people doing it (hadn't realised it was so big!), so should be a good craic! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:

Hooray!
    Awesome work!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    465k for the year now 

I'm booked in for my first 10k race a week on Sunday. Really looking forward to it :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    465k for the year now 

I'm booked in for my first 10k race a week on Sunday. Really looking forward to it :)
    Excellent. What race is it? 10k is a nice distance - easier to settle into than a 5k.
    5.2 miles off road. Just testing out legs and final kit selection.  Air temperature is much better now.

=1217.9 miles/ 1960km.
    15th Aug: 1003km + 5km = 1008km.
    16th Aug: 1008km + 5km = 1013km.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited September 2017
    830 +5 +10=845. 
    Loved my 10k today. Since the festival has ended and the tourists are greatly reduced in number I went out and did "the sights"-
    Dean Village, Circus Lane, New Town, Calton Hill, Royal Mile, Castle, GrassMarket, Water of Leith, Stockbridge, Home. 
    I even stopped to take a few photos, I'll post em if anyone's interested. 
    Lovely stuff. It was nice not to be chasing a mileage/time and to just enjoy being out by myself & the beautiful city of Edinburgh. 
    BTL half done. 1:58:30 chip time. Absolutely spent. 2:00 pacer told us to start sprinting at 400m to go. My head said go, but my legs had nothing. Fortunately, I had started 90 seconds behind the 2 hour pacer, and my watch said I was fine. 

Thr last mile dragged for what seemed like an eternity, having felt absolutely amazing for the first 8 miles or so, and a few hills in the last 1/3 sapping what freshness I had left! 

Absolutely over the moon with my time, especially as I was sick on Friday night (migraine) and spent most of yesterday at the hospital for precautionary measures for the pregnant wife....along with having to get up early to walk the dog before heading to Bristol. 

Great atmosphere, and a great experience for my first half. 10000 people running the same event is ace. 

Would post photos but I'm on my phone and can't be arsed to faff because I'm so tired. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well done joneve.

I had a well earned rest day today. :)
  • Well done @joneve !

I did Parkrun on Saturday, the local one. Tweaked my achilles a little bit but it's on the mend I think.
    Excellent @joneve. Great time and good write up too. Well deserved break now :-)