Junior or Special?

What's Hot

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    bodhi said:
    ^ that is very useful - thanks for taking the time!

I played SGs for years, but now I find them to be quite awkward for some reason.  Perhaps I just need to get used to one again.

Another question:  Is there any difference between the P90s used in Gibson historics vs. Gibson USA guitars?  I don't recall ever coming across any info which indicated that there was.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I think - but don't quote me - that they are the same P90......This is possibly the most useless thing i've posted on here for a good while but hey ho!!

However, I do think the Custom Shop P90 Gibson is currently making is excellent... 

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    The design of the P90s Gibson USA uses were changed in the 2015 model year. I am not sure if they remain different but they are not the same as the vintage-correct versions that Gibson Custom will use. They are not bad at all though. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    The design of the P90s Gibson USA uses were changed in the 2015 model year. I am not sure if they remain different but they are not the same as the vintage-correct versions that Gibson Custom will use. They are not bad at all though. 
    Ah right, I didn't know that, ta! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Special. Anyone who says Junior is wrong for two reasons 

1. Neck pickup
    2. There isn't a second reason 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    I'll probably try and find one from 2009/2010.  I believe that at the time Gibson made what they called a "1958 reissue" - but only in terms of them having a 50's neck profile - not in terms of the Custom Shop historic reissue models.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    bodhi said:
    I've heard that the lack of a neck pickup affects the sound, because only the bridge pickup has magnetic pull on the strings - more or less that idea.
    Yes. You can show this very easily with an Esquire, which is exactly the same as a Telecaster except for not having the neck pickup - it has the same bridge pickup mounting and the same routs under the pickguard.

On a Les Paul Special there's also the neck pickup rout to take account of - even on a singlecut, it will change the resonance of the neck-to-body joint because there is a large chunk of wood taken out right at the end of the neck tenon compared to a Junior. On a doublecut it's more drastic - the wood in that area is so weakened that the early ones have a habit of the neck falling off, until Gibson moved the pickup further away from the fingerboard after a year or so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043

1. Neck pickup
    Said the man with a picture of a single pickup PBass in his avatar ! 
    DrBob said:

1. Neck pickup
    Indeed. Basses are different. Basses only need 1 pickup. There are two reasons for this:

1. P Bass
    2. Stingray

However, having a junior would mean missing out on the neck pickup. It would be like dating just the top half of Jennifer Anniston 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    edited January 2017
    Junior if it's a Les Paul; Special if it's an SG.
    Brize said:
    Name, or shape?
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    tFB Trader
    I also say Double Cut Special...   It roars and has the most comfortable neck I have ever played...  Also on a DC you get better upper fret access...
    Brize said:
    Name, or shape?
    Traditional understanding of the two types, leaving aside the 1958-1962 crossover period.
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Name, or shape?
    Traditional understanding of the two types, leaving aside the 1958-1962 crossover period.
    Ah ok. Only ask cos I have such a crossover Gibson weirdo.

LP DC shape. 1962. In the ledger as a SG Special.
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Name, or shape?

Yep, I know your guitar - I played it at David Pym's and it's very nice.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    DrBob said:

1. Neck pickup
    Indeed. Basses are different. Basses only need 1 pickup. There are two reasons for this:

1. P Bass
    2. Stingray

However, having a junior would mean missing out on the neck pickup. It would be like dating just the top half of Jennifer Anniston 
    I'd date either half, tbh..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Name, or shape?

I played his two SG Specials as well, and the SG Junior - the Specials were real nice, but something about this one just spoke to me. I reckon I play it 75% of the time on the neck pickup
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited January 2017
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    It's obviously a Junior.
    Specials are just a bit.. well.. special.
    I mean how f***king cool is this?!

1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    monoamine said:
    It's obviously a Junior.
    Specials are just a bit.. well.. special.
    I mean how f***king cool is this?!

As f***k!
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Brize said:
    Name, or shape?

I played his two SG Specials as well, and the SG Junior - the Specials were real nice, but something about this one just spoke to me. I reckon I play it 75% of the time on the neck pickup
    Yep, I remember the neck pickup was particularly sweet on that guitar.

Just to clarify, when I refer to the crossover period, I'm referring to the double-cut Specials from 1958 to 1960 (actually up to 1962, as your guitar demonstrates) that were referred to as SGs in Gibson's marketing literature, and the 1961 to 1962 (actually 1963) SGs that had the Les Paul truss-rod cover.

The Les Paul name was removed from the Special quite early on in the double-cut era, but I believe I'm right in saying that your guitar actually has the Les Paul script on the headstock.