Should I hang my Les Paul?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    I like my Les Pauls well hung....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ...on a neck hanger or will the headstock fall off? 

That'll teach you to ask questions about how one hang's their LP.................
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    Ive always wondered.. I know all guitar stores and shows do, and the vast majority of people also say the only negative effect would be certain foams around the hangers reacting with nitro finishes etc.. 

But to my fairly uneducated and un science like mind, necks move, bend, bow, and surely the weight of the body over time would straighten the neck out some? Or would the strings tension still counter it well? Or are guitars more sensitive to heat/humidity than, umm actual forces being applied.. 

tis interesting and me no no. 

I did used to hang all mine by the neck, they were all £500 and below.. 

Once I aquired my more expensive Esp explorer and had it set up perfectly I kinda just stopped hanging them, paranoia crept in about it all, especially after a bolt on that was hanging had a bit of a neck hump (no idea if it was related to hanging or not), and also although I trusted my drilling and 3 screws, I didnt trust the distance between guitar and hard floor... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    The force on the neck from the string tension is usually about 100lbs, or about ten times the weight of the guitar, so hanging it makes very little difference to the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    ICBM said:
    The force on the neck from the string tension is usually about 100lbs, or about ten times the weight of the guitar, so hanging it makes very little difference to the neck.
    Sweet :) cheers man. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • How did I miss this thread.  @gearaddict you are the gift of laughter. Please tell me that you're going to this year's The Guitar Show.