Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

fave live albums and recommendations

What's Hot

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Yessongs. Not the best recording, but it captures the band playing at the height of their powers. 
    I think I've got that record somewhere. If I have I've never listened to it. I'd kind of assumed it was recorded later, so would have had stuff on it I'm less bothered about (so why did I buy it? who knows?), but if it's Yes Album/Fragile/Close To The Edge stuff I might have to dig it out and give it a blast.
    There was also 'Yesshows' which came out in 1980 which had their later stuff on. I've got it but haven't listened to it for.about 37 years!  I'm not a fan of much of their stuff after The Yes Album tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogload said:
    I'm not a fan of much of their stuff after The Yes Album tbh
    Really? I need to check out some of the earlier stuff. The Yes Album was my introduction to Yes, but I like Fragile and Close To The Edge just as much. Tales Of Topographic Oceans? I'd rather have a curry.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    dogload said:

There was also 'Yesshows' which came out in 1980 which had their later stuff on. I've got it but haven't listened to it for.about 37 years!  I'm not a fan of much of their stuff after The Yes Album tbh
    dogload said:
    I'm not a fan of much of their stuff after The Yes Album tbh
    Really? I need to check out some of the earlier stuff. The Yes Album was my introduction to Yes, but I like Fragile and Close To The Edge just as much. Tales Of Topographic Oceans? I'd rather have a curry.
    I had Yesshows, but although it's the later stuff I preferred the studio versions, especially the Going For The One album.

But then my favourite Yes album is 90125, so I'm clearly a philistine :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

i love the live at Hyde park peppers album, despite Frusciantes awful fuzz factory tone for the version of 'I feel love' lol
    I love the Frusciante-era Chili Peppers but I thought that was a dreadful album… I purposely didn't mention it even though I owned it for a while! On the subject of ones I *don't* recommend I would add Sheryl Crow Live From Central Park. Awful, overplayed crap.

On the other hand Simon & Garfunkel's Concert In Central Park is excellent.
    I agree- Hyde park isn't great. Live at Slane IS good. John is on fire- I've got the DVD & ripped the audio as I liked it that much. 

Bruce 75-85 is a great document of a band at the peak of their powers (despite several rambling talk sections- most notably before The River & War). 

Pearl Jam at Benaroya is good too. An acoustic live double. 
  • picked this up for £2.50, very impressive 1982 live double album

• You're welcome
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

• You're welcome

none of those are albums
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Iron Maiden - Flight 666 = much similar setlist to Live After Death but better recording and performance, IMO

All the songs were recorded at different venues, rather than LaD's multiple nights at the same venues.

Personally I think Live after Death is better, because they're younger and much rawer sound and performance wise (not bad, but younger, less experienced players).

Both are better than Maiden England, where they play everything too fast (I still love that album though).

Anyway Motorhead's No sleep is well worth a listen.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Others worth checking are Dio Live at Donnington (double from both appearances) and Maiden's Live at Donington '92.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583
    picked this up for £2.50, very impressive 1982 live double album

I saw her last summer, she was bloody awful.  But I'm sure she must have been better in the '80s.

• You're welcome

none of those are albums
    You can buy dvds of all of those.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Veganic said:
    UFO strangers in the night
    MSG one night st Budokan
    Slade Alive
    May as well throw "Tokyo Tapes" in with the first two.

I was listening recently to MSG "BBC Radio One Live In Concert:  Reading Festival 1982" and basically it's a well-recorded bootleg.  No overdubs.  Just a brilliant live performance.  Smiling all the way through.  Schenker totally on fire.

Hawkwind, "Space Ritual" is still magical every once in a while. 
    And also from way back,
    Misty In Roots - "Live at the Counter Eurovision 79"
    iirc John Peel had this as one of his favourite albums of all time.  One of mine too.
  • Seconds out - Genesis
    live Herald - Steve Hillage 
    Live stock - Brand X 
    Bootleg USA - Martin Simpson
    After the rain - John McLaughlin 
    Maximum Darkness - Man
    Live in Chicago - Kenny Wayne Shepard
    Live - Bob Berg/Mike Stern 
    Made in Japan - Deep Purple
    Live Dates - Whishbone Ash
    Live in San Fransisco - Joe Satriani 

• mike_l said:
    Iron Maiden - Flight 666 = much similar setlist to Live After Death but better recording and performance, IMO

All the songs were recorded at different venues, rather than LaD's multiple nights at the same venues.

Personally I think Live after Death is better, because they're younger and much rawer sound and performance wise (not bad, but younger, less experienced players).

Both are better than Maiden England, where they play everything too fast (I still love that album though).

Anyway Motorhead's No sleep is well worth a listen.
    Yeah, Maiden England is disappointing, especially as it's the tour for such a strong album.
    On the DVD Adriam Smith says he thought then and now that they were playing the songs too fast but was overruled. He was right, though!  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Seconds out - Genesis
    Damn, how did I forget that?!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    For a more recent recommendation I'd have to say Stephen Dale Petit - Live at High Voltage, absolute lightning in  a bottle.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24845
    edited February 2017
    Buddy Rich - Big Swing Face

Metallica - live shit binge and purge. The Mexico City gig.

Wasp - live in the raw

Slayer - Decade of Aggression 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Al Di MeolaPaco de Lucía and John McLaughlin - Friday Night In San Francisco. Not really the kind of album I would usually listen to, but the playing on this is breathtaking. 
  • Marillion - Real to Reel and The Thieving Magpie
    Dire Straits - Alchemy
    Scorpions - World Wide Live
    Maiden - Live After Death
    Walter Trout - No More Fish Jokes
    JoBo - 4 consecutive nights in London
    Floyd - Pulse