Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do I Need an E-Bow?

What's Hot
For David Bowie - Heroes?

Just joined a Bowie Cover Band. Tried it without and doesn't seem to have enough sustain whatever I do or use, eg; Fingers, Delay, Gain etc

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    E-Bows are fun anyways .. definitely get one
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited February 2017
    Yeah! Everybody needs an E-bow!

You could do all that woo-oo-ing the old-fashioned way with fuzz and overdrive and maybe a compressor, but it's certainly easier with a E-bow. The problem with the feedback method is getting it to respond the same way every time.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    edited February 2017
    It depends how loud you can play and whether you have time in soundcheck to find the positions you need to hold your guitar to sustain specific notes. When we performed it last year, I got the sustain by cranking a rat's gain most of the way up, using a compressor into it and keeping the rat's filter knob high enough to avoid the feedback jumping up to a screechy high harmonic/ pickup microphonics and just kind of rode the feedback live by moving back and forward to aid the sustain.

I did have an ebow at that gig (in fact, in a masterstroke of uncoordination I knocked it onto the floor and destroyed it during the last song of that set) But I think for this song, an ebow sounds very tame. The joy of Fripp's part is that it sounds like it's barely being kept in check.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe a Digitech Freqout instead? Or do what I did and have a Sustainiac installed - endless hours of sustaining fun:)
  • Cirrus said:
    It depends how loud you can play and whether you have time in soundcheck to find the positions you need to hold your guitar to sustain specific notes. When we performed it last year, I got the sustain by cranking a rat's gain most of the way up, using a compressor into it and keeping the rat's filter knob high enough to avoid the feedback jumping up to a screechy high harmonic/ pickup microphonics and just kind of rode the feedback live by moving back and forward to aid the sustain.

I did have an ebow at that gig (in fact, in a masterstroke of uncoordination I knocked it onto the floor and destroyed it during the last song of that set) But I think for this song, an ebow sounds very tame. The joy of Fripp's part is that it sounds like it's barely being kept in check.
    This sounds pretty comprehensive. 

Of course, if getting endless sustain reliably every time is more important than the "barely-being-kept-in-check-ness", an eBow will get you most of the way there. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I wouldn't think it was essential, (Fripp didn't use one on the recording) but it certainly makes it easier. There's a clip on YouTube of Mick Ronson using an eBow to play it. You could try a compressor to eke out a bit more sustain. 

See here for more background:
    https://originalfuzz.com/blogs/fuzz/84621252-how-robert-fripp-recorded-the-guitar-line-on-david-bowies-heroes
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Strangely, an amplified Kazoo will get you a very similar sound. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd get one anyway - in fact having never owned one myself, I might just order one now....
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I dont think ebow will sound right for this particular song, but its certainly not a reason to get one anyway, cracking fun
    edited February 2017
    I'd get one anyway - in fact having never owned one myself, I might just order one now....
    They are one of those things that is very handy to have in your 'bag of tricks'. 

Great on bass too. An E-bow can be very useful for adding texture and dynamics to a recording, or 'unlocking your creativity' if need be. Just chuck it through a load of phase and flange and delay and you can have an album in no time! :)
  • dogload said:

They are one of those things that is very handy to have in your 'bag of tricks'. 

Great on bass too. 
    Yes. I'd never seen one used on bass until I joined the last band I was in. The bass player used an eBow to get some really cool cello-like sounds on one song, and on another he'd rock the eBow back and forth above the string, varying the volume and overdriving his amp to get this really cool kind of dubstep bass tone.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EBow's are great, just buy one anyway. 

As for playing heroes with one, this works:

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Damn, that's made me want to get an ebow.
    I can finally bin the kazoo.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes. Absolutely you do.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    Check out the live version of Heroes at the Freddie Mercury Tribute. One of the best versions I have ever heard (and yes, Mick Ronson uses an ebow).
    Parker said:
    Check out the live version of Heroes at the Freddie Mercury Tribute. One of the best versions I have ever heard (and yes, Mick Ronson uses an ebow).
    That's the reason I've got one!

My partner (a huge Queen fan but I love her anyway) asked me what Mick was using, decided I should have one and got me one for my next birthday. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Yes - everyone needs an ebow.

But if you have a small child, keep it out of their reach. Not because it will harm them, but if it gets dropped they are never quite the same - if they are dropped repeatedly, like mine, they can go intermittent... like mine. And sadly, opening them up to fix them isn't an option.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogload said:

Great on bass too. 
    Yes. I'd never seen one used on bass until I joined the last band I was in. The bass player used an eBow to get some really cool cello-like sounds on one song, and on another he'd rock the eBow back and forth above the string, varying the volume and overdriving his amp to get this really cool kind of dubstep bass tone.
    Also great on acoustic guitar (seriously - they mechanically excite the string rather than the pickup, contrary to how most people imagine).
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I heard a terrible version of Heroes by a pub covers band once. The guitarist didn't know his arse from his eBow.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30209
    Sassafras said:
    Damn, that's made me want to get an ebow.
    I can finally bin the kazoo.
    How are you going to do Final Countdown without a kazoo?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom